When scratchbuilding or modifying a vehicle model...

Keycube

From laying out a basic shape to adding greeblies to your model, do you tend to think about the engineering function behind a certain section and then greeble (v.) it to match, or do you add stuff until you get the desired aesthetic "cool factor" that you're going for, and then mentally reverse-engineer the area to explain away the function of the little bits and pieces?

When I looked through the Star Wars sketchbooks as a little kid, I was always fascinated at how the vehicles seemed more or less completely pre-engineered in "real-world" terms from the ground up, and seemed as realistic in concept as any automobile or aeroplane.

I suspect there are different ways of approaching this with modelers, depending on the whole left/right-brain thing. Very curious to get your opinions!

Personally, I try to think through what's going on down there and then greeble to suit. Actually, when I look at the Star Wars models, it seems to me like the functionality doesn't seem there more often than not. A lot of the stuff, say, around the waist of the Millennium Falcon, looks like a bunch of stuff glued on the sides... But not always. Often the stuff can be associated with some sort of practical function.

Of course, model space-ships built for movies are usually built in a hurry and meant just to look plausible for a few seconds at a time on screen. As hobbyists, we usually have more time to think things through.

Your mileage may vary of course.

--Alex

I usually give something a name, no matter how silly and that will sometimes drive how the piece looks. Other times i think of its function then greeblize accordingly.

Gag

I always use the "form follows function" principle. In college my professors used to pound that concept into our heads. I have a BFA in theater technology, not that that makes me any better than anyone else it just helps to train you to have a method or a process when designing props or sets.I look at a scatchbuild or a kitbash and before I add a part or a greeblel or a nurnie I ask what does this do? or why is this here? Sometimes the answer is as simple because it looks right or it is aestheticaly pleasing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back