Whatever happened to the Star Trek bridge?

There are a few tells on the SFM chair that when it was examined by people in the know saw it.

One of the things that was described to me was there was a patched hole in the chair where the little mini-viewscreen (that was only there in the Cage) has been.

Could've been faked. But the trail from the owner to the auction was pretty substantial.

Also, I believe the "relics" set was built by the folks at Proper Effects.

The Command Chair is composed of a "found" chair (Madison Furniture Industries no 2405) which has been mounted onto the "arms" and swivel base.

In the pics above the padded chair part is mounted too far FORWARD. Note how much of the seat overhangs the base of the chair.

CaptainsChair.jpg

Compare with this pic, taken before the auction. I think the chair as you see it in the Seattle museum is just assembled wrong. But it's the authentic chair.

chair_side.jpg

Compare with how it was assembled during the series ("Tholian Web")

TW-bridge-commod.jpg

The Captain's Chair arms were also used as the base of the Laser Cannon in "The Cage".

cage-cannon02.jpg

And here's a little montage I pieced together out of frames from "Spock's Brain".. the only episode where you get this perspective. :D

SB-bridgepano.jpg

- k

BTW for DS9 "Trials and Tribbleations", very little of the Enterprise Bridge was recreated. Mostly just a length of console, with walls to suggest the Main Viewer area

Trials_bridgeconsoles.jpg

Trials_bridgeconsoles2.jpg

These pieces were rearranged and redressed to suggest the Engineering console and the Turbolift alcove

Trials_bridgeconsoles3.jpg

For a shot of Dax walking across the Bridge she was bluescreened into existing footage from TOS.

For TNG "Relics", the Captain's Chair and helm console was built along with the Engineering console and turbo alcove. Very tight camera angles gave the impression of a larger set.

TNG_relics_herestoyalads.jpg

The largest and best TOS Bridge re-creation (made for TV anyway) is of course the magnificent, almost full bridge built for "Star Trek Enterprise", "In a Mirror Darkly"...

STCmag-defiantbridgeunfinis.jpg

IAMD-bridgepan2.jpg

- k

I recall reading in magazines at the time that the "Relics" helm console and captain's chair were pre-existing fanmade pieces. I'm guessing Greg Jein hooked them up with the owners, if they indeed weren't his own.

FWIW, here's the text of the Kirk chair auction:

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Command Chair and platform from the "U.S.S. Enterprise". The original CaptainÂ’s Chair from the bridge of the legendary starship, U.S.S. Enterprise. Constructed at the Desilu Culver Studios in November of 1964, this world-renowned chair was first used by actor Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Christopher Pike in the first pilot, The Cage and remained the focal point of the bridge throughout the entire series as Captain James T. KirkÂ’s seat of command.
The original design for the bridge was the responsibility of Art Director Pato Guzman and Set Designer Walter “Matt” Jefferies (after the first pilot, Jefferies became the Art Director throughout the entire series). Although construction of the Enterprise sets was an orchestrated team effort, Special Effects Supervisor Jim Rugg and Matt Jefferies were the two primary personnel involved in its design and construction.
The outer block-frame of the chair is crafted from plywood and painted battleship grey in color. The wide-spaced armrests contain the controls and switches used by Capt. Kirk to engage various functions of the starship. Set within the frame is the original Naugahyde-covered seat with stained wooden armrests. Of particular note, the distinctive pattern in a section of the wood grain perfectly matches the same section in a publicity still taken from the second pilot — in essence, a true “fingerprint” which positively identifies this piece as the one and only command chair.
The chair is mounted to a spring-loaded swivel on the wooden pedestal base, which centers the chair after the Captain rises to either the left or right side. The rectangular base of the chair is covered in the original Ozite® carpet of the bridge.
The left arm control panel and switches remain as they appeared on the final episode, Turnabout Intruder. [More than once, the crew changed the composition and layout of the control panels as dictated by the plot]. In a space beneath the panel are mounted four ceramic 25-watt light sockets surrounded with tinfoil to protect the surrounding wood from the heat. Mounted into the base of the chair is a power cord wired to the sockets and, when powered, would illuminate the colored epoxy resin buttons and switches (one of the epoxy resin “lights” is missing). On the right arm control panel, the owner reinstalled the original five white-button control unit.
The base of the chair is 42 in. wide x 35 in. deep, and stands 9 1/4 in. tall. The chair itself is 39 in. wide (from arm to arm), with a 25 3/4 in. tall backrest. The seat of the chair is 14 in. from the floor of the base.
The current owner picked up the chair and accompanying set pieces (Lots 176-183) in 1969 after he received a call from a friend who worked at Paramount Pictures, alerting him to the fact that the entire Star Trek set was being scrapped and that if he was interested, he was welcome to get whatever items he wanted before they were thrown away. That same day in 1969, the owner picked up the chair and the other bridge set pieces offered here. They have remained in his possession since that time.
The command chair is accompanied by the following letters of authenticity:
This chair was thoroughly scrutinized by Star Trek Art Director, Walter “Matt” Jefferies, who examined the components and the methods used in its construction. Mr. Jefferies certifies that it is the original chair that he helped design and build.
Original Star Trek Producer Bob Justman states after his examination of the chair, “I have no doubt that this chair is the real thing, the one and only original ‘Star Trek’ series Captain’s chair from the bridge of the ‘U.S.S. Enterprise’…”
Vice-President, Programs & Production, Desilu Studios and Executive In-Charge of Production of Star Trek, Herbert F. Solow states, “My skepticism vanished when I saw and examined the chair. It is the real thing, a combination of 1960’s wood metal, wires, bulbs, plastic, paint and Naugahyde that sat in its special place on the bridge of the ‘USS Enterprise’ and was a major part of the production of our groundbreaking television series.”
Marc Hurd, Director, Technical Operations, Technical and Production Operations, CBS Television City, Los Angeles, assisted his personal friend and colleague (the owner) in picking up the Captain’s chair from the Star Trek set at Paramount Pictures before it was thrown away, and states that it has remained in his possession since 1969. He continues by stating, “Without hesitation and with absolute certainty, I certify that this chair, now being offered for auction by Profiles in History, is the one and only Captain’s chair from the Star Trek USS Enterprise Bridge set.”
The command chair is visible in literally every single episode and is, without question, one of the most important discoveries in the history of television memorabilia. The provenance is indisputable. In addition, this chair is 100% original from top to bottom with only one minor alteration to the arm panel.
A true icon of entertainment history, this command chair also stands as a symbol of Star TrekÂ’s influence on modern pop culture and real-life space exploration, and is arguably the most recognizable chair in the world.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ May 19 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]1247260[/snapback]</div>
Ya...terrific stuff...great screen caps...you sure know your Captain's chair :)

T
[/b]

Actually it's Commodore Starska who knows his chairs... he was instrumental in "discovering" the Madison - in a doctor's office waiting room.... one of the truly inspiring tales of "found object" sleuthing. :D

The discovery thread is on ASAP.

http://p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm10...rt=161&stop=180

- k

Darth Brass,

The building you want is the TFT (Television, Film, and Theater) building. Its the closest building to the corner of Sunset and Hilgard. Ask anyone around there where Studio One is, (also known as the teaching studio), and the matt painting is DIRECTLY opposite the door that leads from the main hall. The building can also be accesses from the James Burrows (SP?) Theater, which is opposite the Arts Library.

You cant miss it. I love that building for all the time I spent in there. I'd love to do an extensions course just to live those days again. Mind you, when I get the chance to go down, everyone is always happy to see an old face.

GO BRUINS.

-Skyler101

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Brass @ May 19 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]1247044[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Skyler101 @ May 18 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1246637[/snapback]
I know his would be true, cause for a year solid, I would leave Soundstage One in the facility, and be greeted by a glass matte painting that painted by Syd Mead for Bladerunner. It is one of the paintings that was made for the opening shot of the film.

Before you all get excited and rush down to the campus, it is VERY securely attached to the wall. I know, cause I had wonder how to get it off the wall, and see the reverse of it. This was also donated to the department.

GO BRUINS.

- Skyler101
[/b]

What building is that in? I'm at UCLA now, but I don't know many buildings other than Schoenberg.
[/b][/quote]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back