What'd you notice about Star Wars THIS time?

How fast should a lightsaber deploy? In dramatic duels the blade comes out gracefully and sometimes it pops out like a switchblade. Is it dependent on the dramatic situation alone or is there actually a logical explanation.

Maybe it depends on how hard you push the activation button, a quick tap and it activates quickly, you hold it down and it deploys more slowly. Now why you would want or need a feature like that I have no idea.

Maybe it depends on how hard you push the activation button, a quick tap and it activates quickly, you hold it down and it deploys more slowly. Now why you would want or need a feature like that I have no idea.

It also depends greatly on the mood of the director and animator at the time.

Something I noticed watching the Bespin fight between Luke & Vader, when they're in that room where Vader does his big reveal, at one point Vader swings at Luke and misses hitting a piece of railing, but instead of cutting through it like it should, his saber just simply bounces off of it instead.

Excellent point! I remember that but never thought much of it. I guess that's a good as proof as ever that sabers can't cut through everything. At least not without more effort...

Watching the Despecialized version right now and just noticed the markings on the wall behind the sand people while they're looting Luke's speeder.
ScreenShot002.jpg

This has probably been said or pointed out dozens of times (I'm not going to read through the thread)...

But in "A New Hope" when they escape the death star, threepio falls and says something like "I'm melting! this is all your fault!" and then they cut to R2 and the shot is from back in the death star... red and black panels behind him....

Like I said, probably been said a million times - but I just noticed this last viewing last week.

How fast should a lightsaber deploy? In dramatic duels the blade comes out gracefully and sometimes it pops out like a switchblade. Is it dependent on the dramatic situation alone or is there actually a logical explanation.

My No-Prize answer would be that, given that lightsabers are wielded by Force users, it depends on the emotions of the wielder. For the dramatic duel, you're calm, measured, and focused, so it's graceful and slow. For more immediate instances, you're full of adrenaline, and so it's faster.

This has probably been said or pointed out dozens of times (I'm not going to read through the thread)...

But in "A New Hope" when they escape the death star, threepio falls and says something like "I'm melting! this is all your fault!" and then they cut to R2 and the shot is from back in the death star... red and black panels behind him....

Like I said, probably been said a million times - but I just noticed this last viewing last week.

I never noticed the R2 shot! As I recall, the shot of Threepio "melting" was actually on the Tantive IV right after he and R2 cross a corridor under a hail of blaster fire. There is an explosion just as they exit to the right and this melting shot was originally to occur right after. It was removed for whatever reason but with your observation regarding R2, it almost sounds like it was discovered in the editing process that a reaction shot of R2 and Threepio was needed during the TIE fighter attack. They just had to make do with whatever footage they could find, R2 on the DS and Threepio on the Tantive IV.

i as well never picked up on that, im going to have to pay attention next time

Excellent point! I remember that but never thought much of it. I guess that's a good as proof as ever that sabers can't cut through everything. At least not without more effort...

I guess you could take it as that but more than likely it was an oversight. It's a bit much to believe that Cloud City and the Death Star II use lightsaber proof materials in the construction of their railings. I'm sure that lightsaber proof materials are rare and expensive, too rare and expensive to be used in something as mundane as railings.

In the case of the Cloud City fight, it was more than just a glancing blow, he swung at Luke and missed and ended up hitting railing instead. If it had connected with Luke it probably would nearly cut him in half because he connected squarely with that railing, the only reason it bounced off was because of the rod attached to the saber hilt, not because Vader pulled his swing.

Either that, or Rustoleum protects against more than just rust.

You might be onto something there! What if Rust-o-leum used crushed Kaiburr crystals in their formula... would explain alot of why it seems as if both Sith and Jedi tended to get angry and more aggressive whenever they were around it and why the lightsabers never sliced thru the railing! Hmmmmmmmm...

Haven't re-reviewed ROTJ yet, but in Empire all the swings I see go through railings. The only one that's problematic is the first. When Vader steps up his offense and backs Luke out the door, there is some interesting intercutting going on. Vader swings at the door frame, sparks, other door frame, sparks, CUT TO low angle close up of Vader hauling off for an overhead swing, CUT TO long shot as Vader's swing goes through the railing (you can see the offset of the ends after the swing), CUT BACK TO medium shot and the railing's intact. Continuity fail. The rest of the long shot of Luke being backed out onto the gantry (and Vader chopping through two more railings) seems to be from the same camera position as that first long shot, just raised up, so I'm betting they were shot back to back, and someone just dropped the ball on that insert shot.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back