Oh, I love Enterprise D!! It is my favorite Enterprise of all time!

As far as fighters, I go with the classic x-wing and TIE fighter. And original BSG Viper. When it comes to movie ships, I really don't think about practicality--I mean, you just can't. Pretty much none of them would actually work.

As far as SW prequels, I didn't see anything in those that caught my eye. Except maybe for the podracers. But not for their aesthetics, just for the sheer craziness of the design. I would've, never in a million years, ever come up with a design like that! Their chariot-like design totally caught me off guard.

I was a huge MF fan and never though any ship could replace her...but then I watched a little show called Firefly and I don't know which I prefer, MF or Serenity. Both have their appeal. One seems like a space "hot rod" and the other a home...
That's an interesting distinction, and one that I agree with 100%. The Falcon does seem to be all business with very little in the way of creature comforts; maybe if we'd seen Han and/or Chewie in their crew quarters (assuming the Falcon has any?) that might be different. But in Firefly we see the crew lounging around the ship quite often, so that gives the impression of a transport ship that's built for comfort and business. As much as I love the Falcon, if it came to a choice between the two in real life I'd probably take Serenity.

Also, on the subject of visibility... I think the prize has to go to the Gunstar. The Starfighter is out there away from the bulk of the ship, in a bubble, with a station that rotates in any and every direction, a HUD that paints targets hidden by the portions of the ship that block line-of-sight, and weapons that cover every arc. That ain't bad...

--Jonah

Does the death star count?
Imperial Star Destroyer
Imperial Shuttle
Millennium Falcon

Flying BTTF Delorean - guess that kinda counts as well.

I would pick the sulaco for a "base", then serenity for transport, with a SA-43 hammerhead for a personal fighter. :love

Nobody picked the Defiant?

defiant_class_ortho___uss_defiant_by_unusualsuspex-d6qljbk.jpg

and Slave-1 have always stuck out in my mind as the coolest.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's an interesting distinction, and one that I agree with 100%. The Falcon does seem to be all business with very little in the way of creature comforts; maybe if we'd seen Han and/or Chewie in their crew quarters (assuming the Falcon has any?) that might be different. But in Firefly we see the crew lounging around the ship quite often, so that gives the impression of a transport ship that's built for comfort and business. As much as I love the Falcon, if it came to a choice between the two in real life I'd probably take Serenity.

It also could be that the Firefly class is built as a long hauler, hauling cargo long distances and it's probably also designed for the kind of people who don't call any one planet home and just travel from job to job and their ship is their home. The Falcon, on the other hand, is probably meant for (relatively) short hauls, no more than a day or two out and is designed with the crew that either has a home port or they pretty much always stay planet side in between jobs. The tech involved also supports my theory, in Firefly there is no advanced FTL, you travel in real space in real time and you can't go faster than light so you need living quarters and creature comforts. The Falcon, on the other hand, can travel in hyperspace which allows it cover vastly farther distances in far less time than a Firefly can. Where it might take Mal & crew in the Serenity a week to go from point A to point B, it could take Han & Chewie only hours in the Falcon to travel the same exact distance thus making generous living accommodations unnecessary.

Inquisitor Peregrinus, all your starfighters got NOTHING on the one, the only Missile Boat!

MissileBoat_zpsjz9jtz6g.jpg

Her 40 advanced concussion missiles are so awesome they can dance circles around any ship you throw at her.

It also could be that the Firefly class is built as a long hauler, hauling cargo long distances and it's probably also designed for the kind of people who don't call any one planet home and just travel from job to job and their ship is their home. The Falcon, on the other hand, is probably meant for (relatively) short hauls, no more than a day or two out and is designed with the crew that either has a home port or they pretty much always stay planet side in between jobs. The tech involved also supports my theory, in Firefly there is no advanced FTL, you travel in real space in real time and you can't go faster than light so you need living quarters and creature comforts. The Falcon, on the other hand, can travel in hyperspace which allows it cover vastly farther distances in far less time than a Firefly can. Where it might take Mal & crew in the Serenity a week to go from point A to point B, it could take Han & Chewie only hours in the Falcon to travel the same exact distance thus making generous living accommodations unnecessary.

Wait, I thought that the (Firefly) Alliance ships had FTL drives? or are they lightspeed drives? I can't remember.

Inquisitor Peregrinus, all your starfighters got NOTHING on the one, the only Missile Boat!

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/lordJeyl/MissileBoat_zpsjz9jtz6g.jpg

Her 40 advanced concussion missiles are so awesome they can dance circles around any ship you throw at her.

Oh god...the Missile Boat....SO overpowered. So fun to fly. That and the Tie Defender were just these "WTF?!" moments in the series that, while fun, you can't help but think "So, like, if they had enough of these, the Empire totally would've won."

Oh god...the Missile Boat....SO overpowered. So fun to fly. That and the Tie Defender were just these "WTF?!" moments in the series that, while fun, you can't help but think "So, like, if they had enough of these, the Empire totally would've won."

Which is made even more funnier when you realize that the entire point of the Imperial Missile Boat was to counter the possible threat of the Tie Defender... an Imperial fighter. That's right. High ranking traitors to the Empire was so common that they built advanced fighters specifically to counter their own fighters! And that is exactly what happened! Zaarin's military coup I believe was responsible for taking all of the Tie-Defenders and using them to destroy the Empire's production of Tie-Advance fighters. And the only Missile Boats in the game were two out of the factory prototypes. I remember one mission where the Missile Boats were so finicky that your Missile Boat wingman pulled out due to computer problems. Literally in the middle of the mission!

The only real contribution that the Missile Boat provided in canon before the Disney purge was identifying the Rebel Fleet that was gathering near Sullust. Your ship had the power to wipe out the whole entire fleet but you were forbidden from destroying a single ship. Oooo! We had them!

For me its the usual suspects and one curveball.

Millenium Falcon (obviously)
Xwing
Buck rogers starfighter
Battlestar galactica Viper tos
An Enterprise.... not sure which. They all have their charm

And lastly the curveball. Although mainly an airplane it could also travel underwater and in space.

The Phoenix from battle of the planets.... or Gforce.... or Gatchaman.

Not many other ships can do this.....

Hmmm so many to choose from. The few that jump out for me at the moment...not necessarily because they are the top of my list but because I think they need mention here.

SDF-1: From this
macross-cruiser.png

to this
macross-attack.gif

To go with this of course: Veritech VF-1 as Skull Leader
vf-1s-fighter.gif

Space Battleship Yamato
97e953e885a2cb3550e5b0cee0630295.image.500x393.jpg

USS Vengance: Dreadnought Class because it is just such a bad ***** ship
vengence2.jpg

Buck Rogers Fighter
Strftr.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back