Watch collectors / appreciation thread

If you can get a moon watch for two grand, buy it. I’ve not seen any that are functional anywhere near that.

You can probably get a complete running 1861 movement for that. But nothing else.

So, any of you fellows own a Black Bay 58 (gilded)? I've been mulling over buying one for the past year. It's pricey and I'm not a big spender on watches but man I think that thing is perfect - size and design. This is the first time I've ever considered investing so much into a timepiece. I was close to buying the NTH Barracuda homage which is a nice (not to mention way cheaper) alternative but I kept thinking, "Am I going to wish I just bought the BB?". It might be the one time I splurge on something of a luxury nature. I know it's a fairly popular watch that a lot of people wear which is a turnoff for some but not me. I don't care about that. Besides, I've personally never seen anyone wearing it. Sure, if they were all over the place like smart watches, I might feel different. Anyway, anybody have one? If you do, any buyers remorse or none at all?

I have a good collection of watches from Rolex to Accutron. Here's a time piece that was featured in a series; can anyone guess the name?
IMG_20220817_063947_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Just picked up this G-Shock Rangeman by Casio! Was looking for something tough that I could wear during more active days and not have to worry about it getting beat up.

Probably the largest case I own, but I think it works. Has lots of great features including temperature, altitude, and barometric sensors along with the more standard digital watch features like a stopwatch, timer, and alarm. Probably my favorite feature is the time keeping, which uses local broadcasted signals to keep the time accurate. You can also easily switch between your local time and UTC, which is handy in my line of work.

Only gripe so far is the digital readouts are somewhat dim. The backlight helps, but you have to push it on and it auto shut-offs after a few seconds.

Sean

B044696C-280C-41A9-B1AD-D051C9CB4417.jpeg

I had a Casio from a sponsor years back and it has a feature I activated where the backlight came on automatically when you rotated your wrist to read it.

Check the manual as I suspect yours does this too…

I just came across this interesting article and thought it would fit right into this thread. If not, just ignore and remove please!

These people are morons. Did they ever WATCH Men in Black? If they did they would clearly see that they have the wrong watch labeled as the one used in the movie (hence no screen cap of THAT one!). They did not use the Hamilton Ventura XXL, just the standard classic Ventura. Here's the CORRECT one WITH a screen cap.

The reason this hacks me off so much is that this is my favorite watch in my collection.

I had a Casio from a sponsor years back and it has a feature I activated where the backlight came on automatically when you rotated your wrist to read it.

Check the manual as I suspect yours does this too…
You’re right! I was wearing the Rangeman yesterday, and it did exactly that! Caught me by surprise, but I was very impressed! Worked great!

I definitely need to spend some more time with the manual, but it’s like a text book! :lol:

Sean

Cool!

I had to activate it in my case, but glad it worked! It's a great feature on a digital watch for sure.

I wear a Garmin 955 solar, and while it does everything I need it to very well, I'm sad that I just don't wear my other watches anymore. Favorites from my modest collection are a Seiko Alpinist and a Casio DBC-611-1DF (silver calculator watch), but since I bought it the 955 has taken over.
PXL_20230201_152854828.PORTRAIT.jpg

I can relate to that.

I have a (somewhat) enviable collection of iconic watches, and I often put one on and wear it for months at a time. Currently wearing this Seiko which I added an Isofrane to, and it's been at least six months of daily wear... great lume, reasonable accuracy (runs a touch fast so I have to regulate it) and pretty sharp in the blue dial variant. Basically, a modern interpretation of the 62MAS that is coveted by collectors (myself included).

Seiko.jpg

And yes, a few scars, but I wear my watches, regardless of their "collector value", so, sorry about that...

I wear a Garmin 955 solar, and while it does everything I need it to very well, I'm sad that I just don't wear my other watches anymore. Favorites from my modest collection are a Seiko Alpinist and a Casio DBC-611-1DF (silver calculator watch), but since I bought it the 955 has taken over.
View attachment 1664583
I wish I had bought an Alpinist while they were still available, specifically the green dial. They've since skyrocketed in price.
I can relate to that.

I have a (somewhat) enviable collection of iconic watches, and I often put one on and wear it for months at a time. Currently wearing this Seiko which I added an Isofrane to, and it's been at least six months of daily wear... great lume, reasonable accuracy (runs a touch fast so I have to regulate it) and pretty sharp in the blue dial variant. Basically, a modern interpretation of the 62MAS that is coveted by collectors (myself included).

View attachment 1664588

And yes, a few scars, but I wear my watches, regardless of their "collector value", so, sorry about that...
Killer watch (y)

A good friend, and fellow, long-time, RPF member recently told me about his forming a new watch company. Below is his message:

“I wanted to inform you all about my new company Universal Exports Watch Company LLC.

I have trademarked the name UNIVEX for watches and it is my intention to sell timepieces inspired by the watches worn by Secret Agents, Spies, Private Eyes and Special Operations Soldiers in film, television and the real world.

To that end, I have taken a couple of watchmaking courses and have built several watches for myself, friends, family and colleagues.

Nevertheless, my first watch to market will be the UNIVEX UE5513 and they will be built by a professional watchmaker with over 40 years of experience and who worked for Rolex for 20 years ultimately becoming head of their service department in New York.”

His first watch is a homage is a homage to the watch worn by our favorite Double-O gentlemen spy from the blockbuster 1973 film.

The fictional watch could emit a magnetic field that had the capability of deflecting the path of a bullet or, with its special bezel, act as a buzzsaw to cut through bindings when doing battle against the villainous Dr. Kananga/Mr. Big.

Below are some photos and links for anyone interested.
UNIVEX™️
https://www.instagram.com/univexwatchco/

UNIVEX WATCH CO (1).jpg
UNIVEX WATCH CO (2).jpg
UNIVEX WATCH CO (3).jpg
UNIVEX WATCH CO (4).jpg
UNIVEX WATCH CO (5).jpg

IMG-0648.jpg

Some movie related watches. Omega Seamaster 2541.80 same reference number as the watch used in Goldeneye
Hamilton Murph (Later Issue)
Hamilton Pilot Day date, broken bracelet (I blame it on Matt Damon)

Some of my favorites. One of these is a fake, but its a nice, $500 fake. Can anyone tell witch one it is?
The 2 gold vintage, Hamilton and Ernest Borrell watches were my fathers and grandfathers watches, the Borrell has an optical illusion like its continuously opening, I always loved to watch that as a kid, and my grandfather only wore it on special occasions.View attachment 1528932View attachment 1528933View attachment 1528935View attachment 1528936View attachment 1528937
Don't see many fake Seamsters or Speedys, so I would have to say the Sub is the fake one.

Don't see many fake Seamsters or Speedys, so I would have to say the Sub is the fake one.
Nope. The Omega Speedmaster is the fake one, but like I said its a nice fake. It actually has the moon watch slogan on the back, a jeweler would have to open it up to tell. The watch looks and feels like it should but in my opinion the band is not quite up to the real omega.

The Omega Seamaster and Rolex Submariner are real, I got the Rolex as a 10 year gift from the company I work for, I got to pick it out and its by far my favorite watch of all time. The seamaster I bought for $1500 from "closer" the Japanese watch seller on ebay. Apparently Omega is the premier watch in Japan, and I can vouch for "closer" is a good seller. Their grading system is top notch! You know exactly what you are getting, guaranteed!

People say you couldn't tell the difference in quality between a thousand dollar watch and a $10,000 watch but I can.

When you wear it or hold it in your hand, the Rolex is obviously worth every penny of the $10,000 and more.

Same with the Omega, you can really tell when you hold it in your hand, the Omega definitely is more rugged and the Rolex is definitely more refined.

If you had a real Speedy and my fake side by side you could tell the real one from the fake, no question there. I plan to get the real one some day but for now the $500 version quells my needs, I don't pretend its real but I really feel the savings of $4000 in my bank account for the time being.

omegs.jpg
omega2.jpg
rolex.jpg
omega3.jpg

Last edited:
sub dial spacing (or indicie length) are the instant tell on those.

Subs are more difficult because there are so many fakes. Modern (ceramic bezel insert) sub fakes are damn near impossible to tell apart. Even side by side.

I have a replica 116600 seadweller because I couldn’t swing the $11,400.00 when I saw it and tried it on in the store. It is the last SD without a date magnifier and was a short run watch.

But at the end of the day, I tend to wear jangly 60’s and 70’s-era watches much more that the modern ones. The above 1680 does not impress as a “refined” watch at all. My newer Omega Planet Ocean trounces it in every department. But I enjoy the top hat crystal, big magnification of the date window and overall look. It was state of the art in the 60’s and like a classic car, still holds up but does not run in the same races.

That's nice!

Who did the custom work for you?

I'm about THIS close to ordering a Seiko movement and throwing yet another watch together. But, I owe one to the tool and die maker who taught me all the "tricks" of making parts with extreme precision on manual equipment. I'd like to add my logo to the dial at least, but if I could to the metal parts as well, that'd be killer!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back