Various Friday the 13th (Jason Voorhees) Projects

Hey folks. I’ve recently been doing a ton of Jason related projects for fun and figured I’d share some of them here.

I guess I’ll start with my hock project. In the past I would purchase hock blanks from JDF Studios but unfortunately he closed his doors leaving quite a vacuum in the Jason mask community. I recently purchased a blank on Etsy that was honestly over priced and realized I should just make my own, so I went to Zbrush and sculpted this. I wasn’t really too concerned with accuracy, I just wanted something to pull blanks from. It was printed on my Phenom L and I pulled PETG plastic right on the printed buck with my home made vacuum former. I’ll come back to these later.

View attachment 1615379View attachment 1615380View attachment 1615381

I figured I can’t just make the hock without the man behind the mask! So I went back in to Zbrush and sculpted my take on a Part 4 Jason. I also printed a mini bust, about 8 inches tall. Eventually I’d love to print the head Lifesize and make a bust.

View attachment 1615382View attachment 1615383

Once that was out of the way, I still had part 4 on my mind and remembered I have a Bloody Ending II bust from Marshall Bean that I had been meaning to repaint for a little while. I ended up resculpting both eyes as the original bust is a replica of the makeup/dummy look and has a closed left eye. After remaking the eyes I painted it up pretty quickly. The eyes are by Fourth Seal Studios by the way.

View attachment 1615384View attachment 1615385View attachment 1615386

Now back to the hocks. I pulled two blanks in .060 PETG and painted one up part 4 style for this bust.

View attachment 1615387View attachment 1615388View attachment 1615389View attachment 1615390View attachment 1615391

More to come in a new post.
❤️❤️

Worked on another Jason project so I figured I’d update this thread.

This is the “Slimeball” from Fear of the Dark studios. My friend Jay was kind enough to send this my way and it’s been on the shelf for way too long. I don’t think it’s “finished,” I’ll probably spend some time punching up the details when I can. It was a translucent resin cast, I did a brown wash and then the rest was airbrush work with thinned acrylics. I painted the eye by hand and glossed it with Createx UVLS gloss. I’ll add a shirt and a hock eventually as well, just need to hit the second-hand stores for a good shirt.
Part 8 Jason has never looked better!

A little more detail on the hocks. I have spent the past few weeks trying to figure out the best way to do the unique cracking seen on the Part 3 hero and settled on a technique that folks use to “relic” their guitars. Nitrocellulose lacquer can be “shocked” by turning a canned air duster upside down and quickly freezing the surface. There are a lot of variables but it seems like doing two good coats of the lacquer and letting it sit for about 6-10 hours is perfect for this cracking effect. Unfortunately I made the mistake of trying to add the vertical cracking by hand on the forehead of the Part 3 and it was a total failure, so I will be remaking the Part 3.

The base colors were custom mixed automotive paints that I based on Color Shot Vintage Lace and Krylon Meringue for the 3 and 4 respectively. I used the custom mix because it is very consistent and sticks well to the plastic, though the spray paint colors would have worked just fine. The inside of both were painted with Krylon Dover White.

View attachment 1615396View attachment 1615398View attachment 1615397View attachment 1615395View attachment 1615392View attachment 1615393View attachment 1615394

After making these two masks I wasn’t super happy with the shape of them, so I’m currently resculpting the buck a little with Apoxie Sculpt.

Now on to quite a fun one! I had a part 8 mask from Frightstuff that I purchased and finished when I was probably around 12-13 years old. It was absolutely horrible. I recently dug it out of the closet since I’m on this Jason kick and decided I’d turn it into the melted mask from the end of Part 8. I took a heat gun to it to deform the mask and then I latex masked everywhere but the burns and used a paint splatter technique for the texture. I painted the mask with a yellow automotive mix and weathered it up with a lot of layers of acrylic paint on a sea sponge.

View attachment 1615399View attachment 1615400View attachment 1615401

Well that is all for now, but once I’ve reworked my buck I have at least three more hock paint ups planned! Hope you folks have enjoyed, and keep an eye out for more project updates soon.
I always wondered how they did the cracking, I will have to try this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back