Vader helmet (1997) – help identify maker please

Angelman

I have recently come into possession of a Vader helmet.
I’m hoping this community can help me verify the history of this helmet.
At first glance I’ve been informed it is a Portumac, this helmet pre-dates the Portumac by two years (1997/1999). Also none of the under helmet details match the Portumacs. It is obviously not a re-cast, the definition of the nose ridges and coin slots under the eyes are too sharp. Is there a “tell tale” imperfection I should look for?

I have been given, from badly converted VHS video, some screen shots that identify the prop maker and places Jason (the former owner) with the prop maker in 1997. Jason unfortunately doesn’t remember the guy's name (and in his defense it was 18 years ago).
The helmet has been modified from it’s original state, Jason has worn it around the world since 1997 (he later worked with an international airline), there are even photos of him in outback Australia.

Can anyone identify this prop maker (from 1997) please?
X-Wing prop builder 1997.jpg

This is Jason in the unfinished X-Wing with the prop maker.
X-Wing builder and Jason.jpg

The helmet.
Vader Helmet 1997 - maker unknown.JPG

Thanks in advance everyone, I’m hoping someone knows someone, who knows someone.
Michael.

Please Michael, add some pictures taken from at least 6 feet away and then zoom in ... from front, sides, with and without the dome attached and inside of the dome as well ... that will help those who know to determine which Vader maker this might originate from :)

Chaim

Looks a bit like a Northglass. He was before my time. I understand that Porty used to work with them, then they went different directions. I think they both used the same molds, and their molds appear to have been modifications of something that was originally Don Post. This is what I have that was attributed to Portumac/Northglass. Maybe some of the old-timers can weigh in.

portumac.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here is a study I did many years back. To the left is the Portumac/Northglass of the time which was an attempt at the ROTS look. To the right is my simulation of what modifications I might have made. Although increasing the size of the face was out of the question (it does seem proportionately too small to the rest of the helmet), the flange shows excessive length.

portumac_photoshopped.jpg

Hi Michael.
There was a guy in Adelaide Australia who was making licensed Star Wars helmets in the 80s by the name Steve Altmann.
He made a very good Vader Helmet, or it could be by Justin Dicks in Melbourne Australia ( Justin did work on Ep. 2 and 3 )
I hope this is of some help
Gary

Thanks for the information so far, yeah, as you can tell I don't know much about Vader (and which helmet is from which movie and the differences between them, good excuse to watch the movies again).

You might visit The Prop Den (thepropden.aokforums.com) which specializes in Vader, and study up on various posts. Good luck!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back