Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - FINISHED PICS!!! Page 4

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - First Mask Cast!!!

Feel better, man! Doom will wait!
Thanks man, some rest did me a world of good!

Ahhhh! This is such a great build so far!
As a newb trying to make a base mold for a mask I have been between making a resin cast or just pulling a vacuum form of it. This build gave me a little more to think about.
Hope you feel better soon!

Party on!
Doing much better now! Post a thread of your proposed build and I am sure more than a few people can chime in with advice. Good Luck!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - First Mask Cast!!!

So, back to work!

Here is where the armor sits right now. I have both arms and shoulders done as well as the gorget/harness to support them. I have both legs done and the shoes. The abs are done but the breast-plate still needs to be pulled. The buck for that needs some more work.

IMG_1241.JPG

The mask is still in process of being filled and smoothed to make it ready for the master cast. Not sure if we are going to cut holes in the nose for breathing or leave it flat. Doom never seems to have nostrils in the comics! :lol

IMG_1242.JPG

I started pulling all the little parts for the gauntlets. Those should be fun to cut out! I have had alot of webbing issues with the pulls of the gauntlet cuff. I assume it is due to the super-cold weather up here and my unheated garage. I will try a few more and then move to plan B if those do not work.

IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1238.JPG

More to come as we do another test fit this weekend!

Great work sir. You should consider selling the sheets, or the pre cut pieces. I'm sure people would be interested.

SUBSCRIBED!!!

Cant wait to see a final test fit.

And I agree, I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in castings. especially the mask, it looks great.

Great work sir. You should consider selling the sheets, or the pre cut pieces. I'm sure people would be interested.

SUBSCRIBED!!!

Cant wait to see a final test fit.

And I agree, I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in castings. especially the mask, it looks great.

Thanks folks! We did a test fit yesterday and put together all the marks and measurements to finish the strapping! Over the next few days I can get the strapping finished and the parts attached to the gloves. Since his hands are larger than mine we had to mark all the knuckles to get a proper fit. I did a little more work on the breastplate buck today so we are pretty close on that as well.

Once we are finished I am sure I will make a few copies of the mask available! I also designed the armor to be on the generic side so that it could be used for Doom or other medieval armor needs. I will make pulls available down the road. There is another member that is interested as well and he might be my test subject for the first set. But both the mask and the armor pulls will obviously have to wait until we finish the first Dr. Doom! :lol

Keep watching!

Exciting progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Time no Posts!!!
After a brief holiday break and a work project that dominated my time I am back on the Doom costume!

Here are a few progress shots of the gauntlets. I used a small traffic cone for the cuffs as my pulls never seemed to turn out. I stiffened them with automotive door trim and they are quite firm.

IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1352.JPG IMG_1351.JPG

I was also able to pull the breastplate. It is the largest piece I have pulled in my machine and it just barely fits!

IMG_1361.JPG IMG_1362.JPG

We had a good test fitting and we were able to get all the armor pieces on. With just a few minor tweaks it is all good to go! This week I am working on the tunic and the cloak with hood. The following week I will get back to the mask and get a new master mold made and then on to making the production mask. The shots here are without any tunic and you can see the breastplate and abs that will be covered by the cloth.

IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1369.JPG

I also tried a few things with a small cape/cloak that is too small but works to get the idea of how to make the real cloak. The real one will be longer and fuller with a lining so it will be alot more full.

IMG_1363.JPG

More to come and very soon we will be onto paint!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 102

Excellent!!

Getting to work on the soft goods! I started with the hood for the cloak. Is is lined with a darker satin fabric.

IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1397.JPG

I then finished up the rest of the cloak and attached the hood. I will have to wait for the next suit up to determine the placement of the rondels to hide the cloak attachement points to the breastplate. Next up is to work on the tunic and then a whole mess of adjustments to get the soft goods and the armor to play nice with each other!

IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1399.JPG

Looking great!

Just starting out on my own Doom (sanding the mask) and never considered vacuum forming (having done that since school). I must say it is working real well for your build so might have a tinker.

Keep up the good work!

Ham out.

Just starting out on my own Doom (sanding the mask) and never considered vacuum forming (having done that since school). I must say it is working real well for your build so might have a tinker.

Keep up the good work!

Ham out.

Thanks! Yeah vac-forming works great if both sides are the same and you are looking for smooth curved surfaces. Turns out that Doom is perfect for that sort of thing!!
Good luck on your build. I really want to see how Gir turns out!!

I have been thinking about doing a Dr. Doom mask out of foam and using epsilon to harden it. I am glad to see it can be made from flat sheets rather than sculpted. What kind of foam did you use and how did you prep it before molding?

I have been thinking about doing a Dr. Doom mask out of foam and using epsilon to harden it. I am glad to see it can be made from flat sheets rather than sculpted. What kind of foam did you use and how did you prep it before molding?

I used the 3mm and 5mm foamies from Hobby Lobby. I built it over the thin plastic mask to keep the shape and size in the early stages. All I did for molding was coat it in two layers of watered down PVA glue (Elmers). Worked great and it gave me nice master to work with. Epsilon would work even better to get a smooth finished surface. Good Luck!

Phew! After the holidays, and two other projects that needed doing, I am back to Dr. Doom!

Over the past few days I have been glueing up the disks to hold the nuts and bolts that attach the rondels to the chest plate. I will be putting grommets through the tunic and the cloak. The bolts in the chest will go through the grommets and the chain will go over the bolts. Then the rondels will be screwed on over those. This will support the weight of the cloak and keep everything in place.

015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG

You can see it all together on my dummy before I add the fabric pieces.

018.JPG

More to come!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - More Armor Work Pag

Solid!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - More Armor Work Pag

Both gauntlets are done! (Only one pictured because, well, I had to take the picture somehow! :lol)

016 (2).JPG

We are going to paint on the 23rd and the only part left is to mold and cast the new mask! Hopefully, that will be done in the next few days.

Over the weekend I finished up the tunic (fully lined, hemmed all the seams and added the grommets for the rondel posts. Here is how it looks on the dummy with the belt.

022.JPG 023.JPG

I also finished the cloak. The cloak also has the grommets and fits over the same posts and then the rondels screw over that. I added a three pleats on each shoulder to pull the cloak back and give it that "comic book" wave as it goes over the shoulders. Between that and the cloak being attached to the breastplate the look should remain the same as he walks around and poses for pictures.

030.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG

It wouldn't do to have Doom constantly wiggling and adjusting his cloak. Doom cannot be bothered with such menial tasks!!

Todays task is to pour the new master mold for the final masks! Lotsa fun!

Spectacular! (I even love the gold arms!)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back