Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - FINISHED PICS!!! Page 4

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - for a friend....

I am...in awe..at your Vac Build set up. I was thinking was going to see some high tech, high elaborate set up. But its...actually usable, doable...heck afforable! And your crafting technique is really a great. You deserve every prop you get for this one. ALL HAIL DOOM!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - for a friend....

Ditto! The admirable part of this for me is the amount of work you put in before even beginning the actual costume! All of this work is to make the bucks! Great job and thanks for the inspiration. The reaping of the reward will come later!

I am...in awe..at your Vac Build set up. I was thinking was going to see some high tech, high elaborate set up. But its...actually usable, doable...heck afforable! And your crafting technique is really a great. You deserve every prop you get for this one. ALL HAIL DOOM!

Thanks! When I do the next round of pulls I need to take a few more detailed pictures of the vacuum machine. It cost less then $100 to make plus the cost of the shop-vac. So it was pretty affordable and moves around the garage great! Oh yes, All Hail Doom!!!

Ditto! The admirable part of this for me is the amount of work you put in before even beginning the actual costume! All of this work is to make the bucks! Great job and thanks for the inspiration. The reaping of the reward will come later!

Thanks! Speaking of bucks, I did some more work on them, sanding down the first layer and adding another round of bondo. Plus I started the smoothing of the back of the shin plate buck.

IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1097.JPG

Nothing like a coat of primer to show you where you still need to work!

IMG_1099.JPG

I also made a little progress on the mask. I added some thickness to the jawline and put the ears on as well as a few little details here and there.

IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1093.JPG

It's been a while since updates so a whole bunch has happened! I finished up the bucks for the shins, thighs and shoe covers!

IMG_1128.JPG

So I started to do a set of pulls for one of the legs to check the fit before I pulled both sets.

IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1136.JPG

Nice little pile of plastic to trim!

IMG_1135.JPG

I have also been doing a bit of work on the mask. I used a hole punch to do the rivets and glued them down with super glue and then trimmed the round discs into a more hammered rivet look with a set of angled fingernail clippers.

IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1109.JPG

I had the client stop by and sign off on the finished version! I started filling and will prep it for molding soon and do the first waste pull to modify for the final.

IMG_1137.JPG

More to come!

Paint and Fabric samples! Indoor and outdoor pics at various angles to get an idea for what we like best.

Indoor.

IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1138.JPG

Outdoor!

IMG_1142.JPG IMG_1141.JPG

We will let you know what we choose but feel free to weight in with your thoughts!

To me, the forest green at the top in the last photo is best. I would use two different fabrics of that same color: heavier, wool-like for the cloak and more broadcloth-like for the tunic. The cloak should have a contrasting lining (dark chestnut brown? burgundy?). To me, all of the armor colors are too light. I always think gun metal for Doom's armor. That having been said, the shine and metallic appearance of your pieces are great! What paint are you using?

To me, the forest green at the top in the last photo is best. I would use two different fabrics of that same color: heavier, wool-like for the cloak and more broadcloth-like for the tunic. The cloak should have a contrasting lining (dark chestnut brown? burgundy?). To me, all of the armor colors are too light. I always think gun metal for Doom's armor. That having been said, the shine and metallic appearance of your pieces are great! What paint are you using?

You hit the nail on the head! The plan is to use one fabric for the tunic and then a heavier outer fabric for the cloak and hood then use a satin lining of a contrasting green or dark color. Most Doom builds fall into the trap of using all the same fabric and not lining the tunic and cloak. We are trying to avoid that!

Yeah, we will see how he likes the paint. One might work or we might have to try a few more. These were colors that I had already so it made it easy to try! The colors are metallic silver, aluminum, chrome and satin nickel. They are all painted on scrap pieces of HIPS plastic with a base coat of gloss black. The gloss black under the silver always makes the silver pop.

What brand paint are you using? Rattle can?

What brand paint are you using? Rattle can?

Yes, they are all rattle cans. I will airbrush highlights later but the base coats will all be rattle cans. The colors from left to right in the first indoor and outdoor photos are; Krylon Premium Original Chrome, Krylon ColorMax Aluminum, Rustoleum Universal Satin Nickel, and Rustoleum Metallic Silver.

The winning color so far is the Satin Nickel! It has a more gunmetal look and it is the same color range as the airsoft Mauser the client just picked up (see below!). He also picked up a holster for it and it will make a nice touch to the costume. The fabrics have also been narrowed down to the fabrics shown below as well. The light green denim will be the tunic. The dark green will be the cloak and hood and the brownish/green darker fabric will be the lining. I am not sure if we will use the matte or the satin side of the fabric yet. I will try a few more colors and hit the fabrics stores one more time but unless I find something better this is the color choices for now!

IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1150.JPG

I did have a setback with the thigh bucks and had to rework them to get more thickness front to back to allow them to fit better. The first set of pulls will be cut up and used for scrap testing :(. But, I was able to get the bucks modified and a one new set of pulls done and trimmed for the right leg. Yeah!

IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1152.JPG

We are pretty close to getting a test fit on the leg and then we are off to the races on making another leg!

I made a whole bunch of progress on the legs. You can see the joints with the reinforcement around where the screw goes through.

IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1155.JPG

The shin has a piece cut out that allows the foot to fit thorugh and then attaches with four snaps. the seam will be on the back of the leg hidden by the cloak.

IMG_1156.JPG

This is the inside of the knee cop. There are two layers of plastic around the nut to hold it in place. The screw goes through the thigh, shin and then screws into the nut in the knee cop. We will be doing a test fit with the leg and the shoe tonight. Hopefully all goes well!

IMG_1158.JPG

Leg suit up test with the knee cop! Everything fit pretty good. A few places to trim and tweek but good enough to pull another set and get to work!

IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1161.JPG

Holy updates Batman!

I have made a ton of progress over the last couple of days.

I started molding and casting the waste helmet to make a clean master. First was a number of layer of brush-on silicone.

IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1165.JPG

I then covered the silicone with the pasti-paste in two halves since the mask has alot of weird details and i did not do a very thick coat of silicone.

IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1169.JPG

The good new is that the shell and silicone came off just fine and did not even damage the original master!

IMG_1171.JPG

I bit (alot!) of cleanup on the mold and then we were ready for casting. The cast came out just fine. I will still need some cleanup and mods to make it a proper master but in will work just perfect! Doom is pleased with the progress so far.

IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1200.JPG

I have also been doing a bunch of pulls for the other leg. I discovered another use for the thermoforming machine...it keeps my coffee warm on cold mornings!!! :lol

IMG_1173.JPG

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - First Mask Cast!!!

Ugh...I have some bad news. After feeling sick for a couple of days I went to the doctor and after a few pokes and an X-Ray I have pneumonia. I am on a nice pile of drugs and plenty of fluids and rest. That means that this build will take about a week or two break before I resume work. More updates when they are available.

I am thinking of praying to the "Old Gods" and see if Odin will remove the foul demon that is inhabiting my chest! ;)

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - First Mask Cast!!!

Feel better, man! Doom will wait!

Ahhhh! This is such a great build so far!
As a newb trying to make a base mold for a mask I have been between making a resin cast or just pulling a vacuum form of it. This build gave me a little more to think about.
Hope you feel better soon!

Party on!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back