USS Enterprise (2009) (Revell) review and build

Hello I have just come across this site and nice build you are doing there, A suggestion with the clear bussard covers why not tint them from the inside with Tamiya clear smoke paint as I did, everyone seems to using blue on them but they are only lit up blue and should still remain clear so you can see the fan/blade/spinners. I put on two coats of the smoke paint to give it a dark tint but still allow the light to clearly come through, when all the lights are turned off I think the bussards look very smart! they almost black.
I never thought of using SMD led's before as I used fibre optic cable for my spot lights and like the look they give, ok not perfect but and easy install.
I had a major headache to trying to get the main deflector dish to light up correctly.
I will upload some more pictures of my model soon.
View attachment 227273View attachment 227274View attachment 227292

At last, someone had the idea. Not lighting mine but I used Tamiya Clear Smoke on the inside of the bussards.

At last, someone had the idea. Not lighting mine but I used Tamiya Clear Smoke on the inside of the bussards.
yes I had this idea a long time ago about 3 years ago in fact when playmates released the toy version of the ship as it to has a smoke tint effect to the bussards and I always liked that look, here is another look at one of my warp engines before it was attached to the model.
Image0242.jpg

Another front view picture showing the Aztec panel effect Which I personally like as it can clearly be seen but without looking to busy and keeping the model looking clean and smart.
revell daylight 002.JPG

Last edited:
yes I had this idea a long time ago about 3 years ago in fact when playmates released the toy version of the ship as it to has a smoke tint effect to the bussards and I always liked that look, here is another look at one of my warp engines before it was attached to the model.
View attachment 227448

Another front view picture showing the Aztec effect!
View attachment 227449

Speaking of nacelles, how did you solve the nacelle droop issue? Or did it sort itself out when glued?

Here is some more pictures, the Aztec panel effect was done using just a gloss base paint then second layer of matt which gives a reasonable effect, in the pictures i have taken photos in different lighting conditions to show what it looks like, the deflector dish did have a copper colour to it but the light did not disperse enough so off it had to come.
View attachment 227402View attachment 227403View attachment 227404View attachment 227405View attachment 227406

Daayuummmm. Did you mask the aztecing off? I'm interested to know a little more about how you did it

Daayuummmm. Did you mask the aztecing off? I'm interested to know a little more about how you did it

Hi I am not sure what you mean by mask everything off? but if you want to how did I do the Aztecing then I painstakingly made up my own Aztec paint masks as there was not any on sale anywhere in the world at the time I built this model which I finished back in June, right onto the effect-I sprayed the entire model in a gloss off white base colour then once fully dry I placed all the Aztecing masks to it then sprayed my second layer which was a matt white again once dry I carefully removed all the Aztecing masks leaving a crisp clean panelling effect, the difference between the gloss off white and the matt white is perfect and not to busy but just enough to make it look the business, and everything that I did not want the Aztecing on was indeed masked off, Hope this answers your question but if you need any help just keep firing away and I will try my best.:)
Here was my last photo of it underneath my cherished AMT ERTL Refit Enterprise in my display cabinet.
Image0383.jpg

PS I sold the model to a client and no longer have it but do still have some photos of it.

Last edited:
I do like the fact that you limited the Aztec pattern to two colours. Although there are some incredible Enterprise models on this site i often wonder if all of the different colours used take something away from the quality of the model, despite being fantastically complicated paint jobs. Two colours is fine by me.

I do like the fact that you limited the Aztec pattern to two colours. Although there are some incredible Enterprise models on this site i often wonder if all of the different colours used take something away from the quality of the model, despite being fantastically complicated paint jobs. Two colours is fine by me.

I totally agree with you and for this size of a model using different shades of iridescent/pearlescent colours for the Aztec would look to busy for my liking but it does look awesome on the larger 1/350 Polar Lights Refit Enterprise :)

Hi,

a small update:
Today I bought the materials for the stand. When completed, I hope that it will look like this:
Enterprisestand_sketch_03.jpg
The buttons will be added in a row on the top surface, the power input on the backside.

Then I made an experiment: For frosting the parts I couldn't get a cheap gun, so I tried my old Revell starter airbrush which I nearly threw away some time ago. It didn't work too well as the baking soda clumped in the feed tube but i guess the parts are frosted enough now.

Unfortunately I discovered that bot parts for the warp nacelle exhausts (B46 and B58) are molded incorrectly, there are small holes. Now I have to wait for the customer service to send me the replacement parts... and I wanted to attend a modeling competition in mid october with the Enterprise... :/

Thorsten

Hi,

a small update:
Today I bought the materials for the stand. When completed, I hope that it will look like this:
View attachment 228064
The buttons will be added in a row on the top surface, the power input on the backside.

Then I made an experiment: For frosting the parts I couldn't get a cheap gun, so I tried my old Revell starter airbrush which I nearly threw away some time ago. It didn't work too well as the baking soda clumped in the feed tube but i guess the parts are frosted enough now.

Unfortunately I discovered that bot parts for the warp nacelle exhausts (B46 and B58) are molded incorrectly, there are small holes. Now I have to wait for the customer service to send me the replacement parts... and I wanted to attend a modeling competition in mid october with the Enterprise... :/

Thorsten

Hi Thorst,

I had the same problem with these warp nacelle exhausts parts to:(, I also got customer service to send me some new ones but they are not much better with a smaller hole and in a different position but once frosted and painted it is not to noticeable, but as you are thinking of entering into a modelling competition then these little things need to be 100% right.

I totally agree with you and for this size of a model using different shades of iridescent/pearlescent colours for the Aztec would look to busy for my liking but it does look awesome on the larger 1/350 Polar Lights Refit Enterprise :)

I have the 1/350 (An older model, had it for more years than i care to remember) but even then i don't think i would attempt the pearlescent colours, i'm just not up to that and would not want to ruin it.

The replacement parts themselves had the same flaws, too? Perhaps they should do a better quality check then... I think about covering up the holes with clear resin now, in case the replacements don't arrive in time.

Fair enough everyone has there own idea of what looks good, all my enterprises Aztec panelling have been just the two different colours/shades, I did make a start on my 1/350 a while ago but it got put into the cupboard as I've been very busy building other models and when I finally get round to completing it I might stick with the two colours/shades for the Aztec.
PS have you seen the Ketzer made? that looked fantastic and was a much bigger model.

Yes I know you would think that they would do a quality check!
On a separate issue I have phoned and sent them emails asking for the impulse engine to be made in clear but to no avail! they just ended up sending me another of the white kit part:(

Some progress:

The base is glued together and puttied:
Ent_STID_Rev_build_061.JPGEnt_STID_Rev_build_062.JPG

The bussard collectors are nearly finished, I just need to paint the details on the domes. Here are two pictures of the layout:
Ent_STID_Rev_build_063.JPGEnt_STID_Rev_build_064.JPG
The light is provided by two white LEDs on each nacelle. They illuminate a light box in front of the motor housing.

Here is a short video clip to show it in action (sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a video camera.):
[video]http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Herr_Bpunkt/media/Modellbau/Enterprise_2009/Bussard_collector_test_20130907.mp4.html[/video]

The blades don't rotate so fast as it looks in the video, I really like the speed.
Yes, the sound of the gears is awful. But noone can hear it in space ;)

Cheers
Thorsten

Some progress:

The base is glued together and puttied:
View attachment 228769View attachment 228770

The bussard collectors are nearly finished, I just need to paint the details on the domes. Here are two pictures of the layout:
View attachment 228771View attachment 228772
The light is provided by two white LEDs on each nacelle. They illuminate a light box in front of the motor housing.

Here is a short video clip to show it in action (sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a video camera.):
Bussard_collector_test_20130907.mp4 Video by Herr_Bpunkt | Photobucket

The blades don't rotate so fast as it looks in the video, I really like the speed.
Yes, the sound of the gears is awful. But noone can hear it in space ;)

Cheers
Thorsten

Those bussard collectors are looking very good indeed! cant wait to see what the base will look like when its finished.

Thanks! I hope the base will be just that black cuboid as on the sketch with the switches, I don't want it to distract from the model itself. I have sanded it this afternoon but will need a second round of putty an dsanding tomorrow before I can add the black color to it.

Hi,

just a short update: The clear parts for the engines did not arrive yet, so I am not able to close them. Since the last update, the main work was soldering some lights for the remaining windows. I also painted the Bussard dome parts and the deflector dish. The latter one isn't perfect still, but I doubt that I can achieve a better result. I'll probably can post pictures tomorrow.

Thorsten

Thorst,
this is an excellent looking 'prise, your work is really inspiring me to make a start on mine..

i just love those bussards... could you post up details of what parts you've used to make them spin ?

PNT any news on the aztecs yet ?..

Back