USCSS Macondo

So- obviously not moving along as fast as I indicated in my previous post! Thanks for you ongoing enthusiasm, everyone.
I have recently managed to start laminating some epoxy/glass engine parts- actually just one so far- from my silicone mold. I'm very pleased with the results so far. With some trimming I will know if they're going to join together easily or not. I'll need four of these to make the engines.

It's been over a year since the last post, I know how things happen and projects get put on the back burner, I hope that he can get back to it and post some new updates.

I'm still in orbit around Sol, but I drifted through the core systems for what seemed like 57 years.

I have updates on this project, I will show you pictures as soon as I figure out the new posting criteria. To everyone who has shown interest and given such enthusiastic support, my heart felt thanks.

A perfect storm of life events put this project in the deep freeze- a baby, a job change, and several commissions that are not exactly replicas of anything- but now I have recently been able to turn my attention back to the Mac. I shall do my best to keep everyone updated on my progress, such as it is. There've been some significant set-backs, and some learning and re-learning experiences, but that's the whole point, right? It is for me, anyway. This build seem to be self-organizing around the major components of the ship.

Here is where I've got with the engine pods. I laminated four good- acceptable- parts from my mold, two tops and two bottoms. Some time after demolding the sides began to collapse inward and were no longer square. I don't know what caused this as my first "pull", a quick and dirty prototype, never exhibited this problem (and still hasn't). Maybe it was the materials I used? Too thick, too thin? I used biased weave glass for the tester and square weave glass for the real parts. I dunno. I know my model and mold don't have any distortions. I chalk it all up to my inexperience with epoxy/glass laminating, but I was bummed because the parts started out great- for a while. They certainly sat around for a while before I was able to join them.

I struggled with the choice between junking the parts and starting over, perhaps using rigid urethane foam inside the parts to help keep their shape, or just bonding the parts together and filling the horrible seams. I flipped a coin and decide to work with what I had. I'm not totally happy with the results, but I can live with it. There was certainly no way to force the parts into shape, they are hard and strong. So began the fill/primer/sand, fill/primer/sand, fill/primer/sand ritual. A lot of work, one way or the other.
IMG_5159.JPGIMG_5157.JPGIMG_5158.JPGIMG_5160.JPGIMG_5673.JPGIMG_5674.JPG

As you can see I gave up on trying to sand between the details and just shaved them off, knowing I could put them back on later, there was nothing precious about them. I deliberately left the sides detail-light expecting to sand and fill the joint, but sheesh! I never expected to have to deal with such a poor fit. In the midst of all this I was asking myself why I didn't just fabricate the two whole engine pods outright...

The large thruster bells on the back of the engines are coming along, as well. I built a two piece silicone mold (Smooth-On Rebound brushable) with the idea that I would cast the bells as solid urethane pieces. I realized the mold was just big enough to laminate the parts and join the two halves before the epoxy cured, resulting in a nice light part. You can see a white solid casting I made just for yucks in one of the pictures, and I'm glad I went with the glassed parts.
IMG_5581.JPGIMG_5585.JPGIMG_5589.JPGIMG_5591.JPGIMG_5561.JPGIMG_5555.JPGIMG_5556.JPGIMG_5558.JPG
Sorry these aren't better pictures, my autofocus was being weird that day.
The small castings you've probably seen before- they will be the outlet nozzles, requisitioned from the MPC snowspeeder.

I'm glad to see that life, as distracting as it can be, hasn't taken you from the project. Life comes first.

Thank you for taking so many pictures of each step and documenting it here. This is one of those rare projects that keeps me coming back again and again.

And thank you, Yellowjacket. Its the support from fellow builder that keeps me at it.
I never got shots of the glass being laid-up in the mold, only the first face coat of epoxy (West Systems, thickened with cabosil). I wanted to clarify that I laminated the two sides separately and then joined them. Picture #4 above shows I had just enough room to reach in down to the joint seam and apply some more glass to unify the whole thing.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back