USCSS Macondo

Love the topic and the build is looking terrific! :thumbsup

I agree. It's nice to see other ships that could exist in the A L I E N universe.

Fixed that for you. :thumbsup :lol

My approach on this one is, when in doubt lean toward Nostromo (for detail cues, that is).

Great approach. This could end up looking like what might have resulted if Bower and Pearson had walked away with this sketch in hand, instead of the dark one.

Bower and Pearson? Oh, man, don't put that kind of pressure on me! Seriously though, I do mean to stick to that approach, in spirit of not in execution.

Bower and Pearson? Oh, man, don't put that kind of pressure on me! Seriously though, I do mean to stick to that approach, in spirit of not in execution.

LOL. Don't worry, you look like you're on the right track to me. Can't wait to see more.

Space Jockey, I owe you one. I yoinked copies of those beautiful Nostromo plans and elevations you drew and posted here a while back. I used them as guides for all the proportions on my drawings, especially the stern elevation- gotta keep those Bison tugs looking right! I need to get one of your posters, if your still have 'em.

Last edited:
Cool, glad they were of use. :)
Shoot me a pm or email at hydride-ion@live.com in a few weeks, should be able to sort one out then. Sulaco will be out around then and I can get it done at the same time.
Alternatively the Nostromo prints have been shrunken down to around an 11x17 size and are in the new Alien Vault book if you plan on getting that.

You two should hook up and do orthographics of the Macondo. I'm a huge fan of Jockey's work and this project, so merge them already!

Awesome, Skin Job, thanks for the links! I thought I had scoured the web pretty thoroughly but obviously I hadn't looked close enough at Propsummit. There are some great images there.

You're very welcome BF ! Glad to have helped ! (and don't hesitate to visit propsummit from time to time for anything A L I E N related, we have developed a rather interesting database on various aspects of Sir Ridley's materpiece over the last couple of years)

:)

Thank you also to Captain April for his kind words !

:cool

Fred

Yellowjacket- If Space Jockey is at all interested in drawing up this bird I will be very flattered, the draftsmanship is outstanding. But since this build is derived from a single sketch by Ron Cobb SJ would only be able to copy my construction drawings, plus fill in whatever geegaws and fine details that end up on the model itself during construction. Space Jockey's work is the result of research and documentation, the Macondo is just me winging it. Great idea, though, you got me psyched.

Here are some new developments- getting some construction foam filled into the compound-curved section of the main hull (I call it the "Dark Star" section) and the leading edges of the wings (or engine-connecting-arms, or whatever), just glued in between the stations and rough sanded to shape. These sections are then laminated over with epoxy/glass to firm up the surface then they will be finished out using light-weight automotive filler putty (bondo with a small "b") and primered and sanded smooth. Eventually I will clad the surface with styrene panels and small detail parts, but probably not until I get all sections of the structure assembled. All areas having compound curves are constructed using this method. Special shouts out to IEDBOUNTYHUNTER and Steve Neill for advice/insight into this technique.

Last edited:
Steve- Thank you very much. I thought I would need to use your spray mount trick for holding the glass in place, but the pieces where small enough.

What you did is perfect and the way it should be done. It inspires me. Not to mention the clean work on the masters and your style for getting excellent symmetry.

Steve

The Small Thrusters-
I will need six of these, one each at the forward ends of the two big main engines, and four in back, two up and two down, so castings are required. Started with a wooden dowel and two styrene disks, one at each end to define the profile, then filled between those with two chunks of balsa wood sandwiched around the dowel in roughly the shape of the thruster bell. This was carved into shape and a thin strip of styrene was attached around the large rim. Then the surface was bondo'ed and primered. Chucked it in a drill press to sand it out. Add some tank wheels (a greeblie no-no, usually) and more styrene bits and I have a pattern. Cast into a two-piece silicone mold and I will pull resin casts from this. Next up, the Main Thrusters.

Last edited:
Steve-
Eeeeeeeeeeeee!

sincerely, JN

Seriously though, thanks again. Your build thread of the 1/2 scale E has blown my mind and opened me up to all kinds of new methods. And as to symmetry, I use good ol' fashioned dividers, squares, and such as much as possible but sometimes I just go with the eye to keep things moving.

Finally some more updates- my glassed and bondo'd wings and "Dark Star" section have been drenched in primer (Dupli-Color high build primer). More dry fitting to the main body to check the fit.

You can't finish this one fast enough for me, but don't hurry it on my account. I'm just anxious to see the finish. It's looking great.

That make two of us, Yellowjacket, and thanks for the support. I've been trying to peck away at it after work for an hour or so, and on weekends (you know- a hobby). I actually just want to get to the paint job, that's always been my favorite part. I always say that and end up building for much longer than I'd planned. That being said, this ones moving along better than I expected.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back