Uruk-Hai swordsman helmet using EVA foam (ModulusProps)

Kobeque

G'day! This is a recent project of mine, an Uruk-Hai helmet made completely out of floormat foam. I used an amazing foam pattern from Modulus Props, which can be found here: Uruk-hai Swordsman Helm, Lord of the Rings — Modulus Props

IMG_2182.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

This was a one-day project and it was a ton of fun! I tried to put my own spin on this helmet and played around with paint finishes to get an effect I was happy with. I started off by using 10mm foam to give this helmet a really beefy look, I wanted the individual "steel" plates to be clearly defined. The build process was pretty straightforward, I assembled the helmet as per the wonderful template and video provided by Modulus Props. The only issue I ran into was that my foam was textured on one side, so I had to shave it off very carefully with a utility knife.

Once the construction was complete, I used a mix of liquid nails and PVA glue to add a flexible but durable texture to the entire helmet, followed by a few coats of 1:1 PVA and black acrylic paint. I went over the helmet with several brown washes and a rusty dry-brushing, and as a final touch, I painted my hand white and branded my helmet in the name of Saruman. Below you can find some photos of the completed helmet, I'm really happy with how it came out. Please let me know what you think, and have a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 800
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 202
Great job on this helmet! I too used this template last year to make one of these and it's an awesome template. You captured the look and texture super well and it was interesting to read about your technique for achieving the texture. I know Modulus Props used cotton batting, but the liquid nails and PVA glued worked very well. When I did mine, I used cotton balls with PVA glue as I didn't have cotton batting. Anyway, excellent work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back