Updated MK VI Arc Reactor/Stealth MK VI Suit-Unibeam 9/11(Pic Heavy)

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build- Paint scheme 7/6 (Pic Heavy)

I've been working on my Mk VI for the past month or so and have a question that hopefully j0wE, dabiddabird or someone else can answer. I've been following Stealth's tuts and have attached the shoulder pauldrons to the chest/back using a 1" buckle at the top. Is this the preferred method or should I attach the pauldrons to the biceps as one unit? Or both? What are your plans, dabiddabird?

I love your arc reactor design. I plan to implement this in my suit very soon. And I love the stealth paint scheme. If this wasn't my first IM build, i would SO do the same colors.

I too have connected the shoulder pauldrons via buckles, but I used 2 per pauldron instead of 1 just to male sure they don't move around too much.

For they bicep I plan on doing what stealth did and attach the bicep to the shoulder via buckles as well. If it doesn't work it too well I will try elastic bands.

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build- Paint opinions 7/2(Pic Heavy)

First off this is not my image i just used it to photoshop the color scheme i am thinking of doing.

How does this look any suggestions?

IronManMK6.jpg

I like! I was thinking of accenting my suit with a different blue, but those silvers look good.

Been working on this very slowly.

I did manage to get the palms and boots done though.

Boots
IMG_20120729_142257.jpg

Palms

IMG_20120729_142425.jpg

IMG_20120729_142442.jpg

Starting to get some of the pieces painted.

Beginning with the chest.
IMG_20120804_190653.jpg

IMG_20120804_190621.jpg

IMG_20120804_190634.jpg

Still got some coats to go and clear coat.

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build- Stealth Painting Started 8/4 (Pic Heavy)

Added some silver and black washed the detail lines

IMG_20120805_141108.jpg

IMG_20120805_141059.jpg

IMG_20120805_141118.jpg

Re: MK VI Arc Reactor/Stealth MK VI Suit 9/6(Pic Heavy)

Pretty much got the upper body painted (just got to finish up the back)

Her are some pics of the arm
IMG_20120906_125915.jpg

IMG_20120906_130022.jpg

IMG_20120906_130008.jpg

IMG_20120906_125942.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting.......and the messy counter

Looks great! Don't forget the extension piece between thigh and cod... and hip pods. ;)

Pretty much got the upper body painted (just got to finish up the back)

Her are some pics of the arm
IMG_20120906_125915.jpg

IMG_20120906_130022.jpg

IMG_20120906_130008.jpg

IMG_20120906_125942.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting.......and the messy counter
Bump for new page
Looks great! Don't forget the extension piece between thigh and cod... and hip pods. ;)
Thanks, yea those will definitely be added in. And electronics.

What you been working on lately?
**Edit....Should have looked at your sig. Man that cap stuff looks amazing!

Wow that's nice and glossy! What brand clear coat are you using, and how did you prep the foam before painting? Just pva or something?

Wow that's nice and glossy! What brand clear coat are you using, and how did you prep the foam before painting? Just pva or something?

Thanks. I use a combination of techniques for sealing and painting my foam.

It is as follows:

1. 2-3 coats of Aleene's tacky glue diluted 50/50 with water
2. 2-3 coats of Aleene's tacky glue diluted 75/50 with water (more or less maybe 80/20).
3. Check to make sure all pores are sealed, if not, more coats of glue.
4. 2-3 coats of Primer (I use is rustoleum's painter's touch primer)
5. 2-3 coats of color (for my build its rustoleum's colbalt blue metallic)
6. 2-3 coats of Kyrlons triple thick glaze (thanks dcholiday for introducing me to this product)

This method works great on parts that are moderately flexed. The Triple thick glaze does not crack, however the cobalt blue underneath does. The triple glaze does hide any cracks from the undercoat very well (to the point where it is entirely unnoticeable)

I am currently in the process of testing a painting method for high flex areas such as the abs, neck, and hands.

Heres the results so far without clear coats.
-This piece has been painted for over a month. I've been bending the heck out of it and it is yet to crack. It can wrinkle but it does not crack.
IMG_20120906_235345.jpg

Will get better lighted pics up when I can

Nice man. I tried to pick up some triple thick glaze earlier this week and didn't find out it got recalled from a bunch of places till today. That's the same blue I used for my suit. I really like it.

Thanks. I use a combination of techniques for sealing and painting my foam.

It is as follows:

1. 2-3 coats of Aleene's tacky glue diluted 50/50 with water
2. 2-3 coats of Aleene's tacky glue diluted 75/50 with water (more or less maybe 80/20).
3. Check to make sure all pores are sealed, if not, more coats of glue.
4. 2-3 coats of Primer (I use is rustoleum's painter's touch primer)
5. 2-3 coats of color (for my build its rustoleum's colbalt blue metallic)
6. 2-3 coats of Kyrlons triple thick glaze (thanks dcholiday for introducing me to this product)

This method works great on parts that are moderately flexed. The Triple thick glaze does not crack, however the cobalt blue underneath does. The triple glaze does hide any cracks from the undercoat very well (to the point where it is entirely unnoticeable)

I am currently in the process of testing a painting method for high flex areas such as the abs, neck, and hands.

Heres the results so far without clear coats.
-This piece has been painted for over a month. I've been bending the heck out of it and it is yet to crack. It can wrinkle but it does not crack.
IMG_20120906_235345.jpg

Will get better lighted pics up when I can

I also heard that some were recalled. But yea that blue is awesome and depending on the color of the base coat you can get many different shades of blue from the same paint.

What's the process you're using for your flex parts? Plastidip? My foam mk iv suit has been through some punishment and it seems to have held up okay. I used a combo of modpodge and plasitdip for that one

What's the process you're using for your flex parts? Plastidip? My foam mk iv suit has been through some punishment and it seems to have held up okay. I used a combo of modpodge and plasitdip for that one

No I don't use plasti dip. What I have been testing is using vinyl spray paint as the primer followed by the top coat color. I've been getting good results so far but I need to test how well flexibility is after clear coating.

look at that finish!

Very nice man.

I love the color scheme you're doing. Makes me wish it was an actual suit in the movie.

damn..it should have been.
IMG_20120906_125942.jpg

look at that finish!

Very nice man.

I love the color scheme you're doing. Makes me wish it was an actual suit in the movie.

damn..it should have been.

Thanks Stef. With all the Iron Men being built these days, I thought changing up the color scheme would be a breath of fresh air.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back