Tron Legacy Costume

Dsc04988_zpsefbe82e1.jpg
Nice! You've nailed that perforated leather look, which I wasn't able to find for the base jacket I used for my "flashback" Flynn costume last year.

colonelmasako, you said you used stuffing for the light distribution. What kind of stuffing?

I used the same kind of stuffing you find for stuffed animals. It worked marginally well, at least enough to distribute the light evenly. I did not like how much it adds to the thickness of the pieces. My latest costume experiment employed Luminous Film EL tape, and I liked how it turned out. A little too expensive for my taste, but gives a nice effect. Its sort of like reflective tape in that sense. Looks cool, but not blindingly bright in person. But take a picture with it and it shows up really nicely. The LED method makes the user look like what the movie characters looked like in real person, except without the touchups done in the film.

Anyone else coming to the Tron 30th event at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood? I'll be bringing some Tron Punk along for that.

^ There's also the shower curtain method for diffusing light. It might also help mask the pinkness of the EL tape when off.

^ There's also the shower curtain method for diffusing light. It might also help mask the pinkness of the EL tape when off.

My experiments involved many uses of the shower curtain. For mounting the LEDs sideways, pointing down (makes it VERY rigid), you can use shower curtain and masking tape. Shower curtain by itself still bleeds too much light dots.

For mounting the LEDs pointing out, thats where I used the stuffing and shower curtain. Diffuses the light wonderfully, makes it more flexible, but makes it thick.

For EL material: its dim enough without something covering it, so I wouldn't do that to tape pieces. To each their own, but I think the pink effect is negligible. So long as its on, no one will ever know better.

Eddy's use of shower curtain, masking tape, and EL wire worked for him (and was a fantastic innovation), but he must have used insanely bright EL wire. All my experiments with this were too dim, thus my move to LED strips.

I don't know if there is any manufacturer per say of specific Tron Legacy spandex but Soulinertia (a member here) did a run of it a while back.

Sorry, for so long a reply to this and for disrupting flow, but there has to be somewhere where the film companies get there stuff, you see the same type of spandex (or whatever it's called) in films like Resident Evil Afterlife (beginning) And countless others. If anyone knows where to find retailers (even if I can't buy now for reference), or people who sell the materiel (links would be appreciated), I'd appreciate it greatly.

-The Armorer

Hello everyone.
I've been looking into this thread for a couple of weeks, but it's now time to join the community!

The creations that i've seen on here is amazing, i'm pretty jealous of all the skilled people on here.

Also sweet shoes Jedi.

Anyway, I'm building a sam flynn tron costume for halloween, but my limited costume making experience is complicating the matter.
I'm focusing on keeping this light, breathable, and able to survive a club setting.

I've already order a padded compression shirt that gives an armour like look without being bulky. I might add some foam layers on to this if time permits, but it already looks pretty good without any modifications. It's called the SixSixOne sub gear LS:

yhst-66501846900183_2177_92095996.gif

I've picked up some cheap motorcycle boots as well from cyclegear, which I think might have been posted on here at some point (only $60!).
attachment.php

I ordered a pre cut EL tape set. It comes with all the wires and velcro for attaching everything as well. The guy is helpful and friendly and the stuff looks like it good quality.

I've also got some LED strips and an identity disc somewhere on their way up to the great north here in Canada.

I'm looking into pants to go with this, and I'm pretty sure I will go with some soccer goalie pants or something motorcycle related. Any ideas?

Over all i'm going to run about $500 for the entire thing, which doesn't seem too bad.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Hi there

I'm brand new to this forum. I would like to make a TRON costume for Halloween and I don't want to spend more than $80-100. I was thinking of getting the regular TRON costume sold online - a thin polyester jumpsuit:

Kevin Flynn Costume | Wholesale Tron Legacy Mens Halloween Costume

and simply sewing EL wire onto the outside of the jumpsuit and using black tape where needed. I also want to use a sound activated battery pack.

What about sewing EL wire onto thin fabric -do you think it will be ok or will it rip out?

What about the arm and knee joints - is the EL wire flexible enough for dancing / movement?

thanks so much!
Glen

Hello everyone.
I've been looking into this thread for a couple of weeks, but it's now time to join the community!

The creations that i've seen on here is amazing, i'm pretty jealous of all the skilled people on here.

Also sweet shoes Jedi.

Anyway, I'm building a sam flynn tron costume for halloween, but my limited costume making experience is complicating the matter.
I'm focusing on keeping this light, breathable, and able to survive a club setting.

I've already order a padded compression shirt that gives an armour like look without being bulky. I might add some foam layers on to this if time permits, but it already looks pretty good without any modifications. It's called the SixSixOne sub gear LS:

I've picked up some cheap motorcycle boots as well from cyclegear, which I think might have been posted on here at some point (only $60!).

I ordered a pre cut EL tape set. It comes with all the wires and velcro for attaching everything as well. The guy is helpful and friendly, although I have yet to receive the order and actually see the quality of the work.

I've also got EL tape and an identity disc somewhere on their way up to the great north here in Canada.

I'm looking into pants to go with this, and I'm pretty sure I will go with some soccer goalie pants or something motorcycle related. Any ideas?

Over all i'm going to run about $500 for the entire thing, which doesn't seem too bad.

Any suggestions are welcome.

That's an awesom looking compression top, kind of reminds me of Cyberdog stuff, very cool.

The boots are a good find for that price too :thumbsup

I ended up using a pair of wetsuit boots that looked the part, but dang, the soles are thin, so my feet take a battering after a while.

I can't wait to see what you do with them :)

Last edited:
I've attached a picture of the lower leg section. The stuff I received from EL Wire Craft*|* is really great.

While modifying my Identity Disk, I came across a really interesting idea:

Using a momentary switch for the LEDs in the outer ring. You should be able to position it where the original on/off switch was so that when it is sitting on your back the outer ring will be off. I'll be using something like this:
21lLdZfDPKL.jpg

* For this to work you need to get a switch that is normally closed, most are normally open so be aware!

Last edited:
I know of someone that wants to do that one, it's trying to fig. out the back pattern on the thing! :)

oh, just like in the movie.
have a harness on the back and a hole in the cloak that the mount protrudes from.
if you tried to mount to the cloak the disc would swing around far too much.

I've attached a picture of the lower leg section. The stuff I received from EL Wire Craft*|* is really great.

While modifying my Identity Disk, I came across a really interesting idea:

Using a momentary switch for the LEDs in the outer ring. You should be able to position it where the original on/off switch was so that when it is sitting on your back the outer ring will be off. I'll be using something like this:
21lLdZfDPKL.jpg

* For this to work you need to get a switch that is normally closed, most are morally open so be aware!

Holly crap, Frac! The website offers precut pieces, all you have to do is just adhere it on! Sweet find!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back