Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1

Very sorry to hear the bad news. Really glad only the car got hurt.

Thanks Vader1, I'm back up to speed again, and raring to get crackin with the projects again this week :thumbsup

Man, so am I. Sorry for the cliff hanger everyone, but I'm still waiting for the wet n dry to arrive (hopefully by tomorrow, fingers crossed).

Last edited:

I'm extremely excited for this! I participated in the Tron: Legacy ARG when it was in its beginning stages all the way through. I have my eye on this thread!

Man, that must have been so cool! Thanks for the compliment :)

Hi all

I got bored of waiting, so I've decided I'm going to get started tonight after I gave the parts a good clean, and another good look.

There are a few sanding marks left from a fine grit sand paper that need sanding out on both sides of the two parts (you can just make them out in the earlier pics).

Oddly the tops look to be finished with a finer grit then the undersides so I'll be addressing that small issue when the other wet n dry gets here, but for now, I'm jumping in with the 1500 grit for both top halves.

Once both sides of the two parts are sanded with the 3000 grit, it's on to the buff n polishing.

Expect more soon....

Hi all

I worked on the underside of the lens last night to see if it was good enough to carry on with using the grades I already have. I started with the 1500 (my next lowest grade is 600) but stopped at 2000 as it became obvious it wasn't working.

Before:
0a9641d5.jpg

After:
e2753f94.jpg

As you can see, even though it's reflecting better, there are still some courser grade scratches showing. As such I'll be back-sanding this side again to address that issue.

I also want to give a quick reminder to everyone that the original mould will be destroyed to help make the "new improved" version. If anyone wants a white slush cast from it for only £15 + shipping (due to the rim cleanup involved), then order soon or it will be too late.

More soon....

Good cycle program's, ISO's and users :)

Well, here it is everyone, the long awaited first pour. I mounted the mould and base on a potters finishing wheel and hand spun it till the resin set in two pours. One for the middle, the second pour for the rim. De-mould in about 20 mins :) :thumbsup

bf6fb659.jpg

Last edited:

Oh yeh, and the rest of my wet n dry arrived this afternoon, so I'll be wrecking my elbow on the lens underside again when I get back from late shift.

Last edited:

And she's a beut:

36ff0695.jpg

Didn't get a chance to get close up pics as I was literally stepping out the door to go to work, I'll post themup later :thumbsup

Great job Canobi ! Really can't wait for the test with the LED sheet, to see how it comes out. ^_^

Thanks guys :)

Got home way late last night (a 20 min drive turned into a 1 1/2hr drive due to road works).

I'll get some sanding done tonight :thumbsup

Hi all

Just finished both sides of the lens with the 600 grit. Long way to go yet, but I dealt with those rouge scratches on the underside : thumbsup

4d06de1c.jpg

eabb0880.jpg

But it's late, and I'm off to bed, see you folks later.

More soon....

Last edited:

You are quite dedicated. You may have covered this in an earlier post, but how many of these do you plan on making in the first run?

You are quite dedicated. You may have covered this in an earlier post, but how many of these do you plan on making in the first run?

Dedication with just a touch of OCD :lol

Ten discs in the first run (earmarked for original interest crew), ten in the second which you can jump in on :thumbsup

After that, I'm hoping I'll have the master for Sark's disc (polished this time :behave) so I can get D#2 run one going.

I got back from work last night and gave the back of the lens a good going over with the 800 and 1000 grit and finally removed those troublesome scratches.

Much better :thumbsup
f7b2d790.jpg

22493d94.jpg

I was going to start on the other side, but it was 1:30am and I was tired, so I decided to throw in the towl and go to bed.

More soon....

Last edited:

Hi all

Made some headway with the lens today. I spent 4hrs sanding (on and off) and got as far as the 2000 grit, and it's starting to look good :)

2e2357a0.jpg

a5a4351e.jpg

Only two more grades to go, and it goes to the buffer :thumbsup

There's a lot going on over the next few days which will be occupying my time, but I'll get back to it as soon as I can.

More soon....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back