Toys used as props.

During the 2005 series of Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston he had a sonic screwdriver, new design, new prop. Anecdotally this was somewhat prone to breaking. Tie-in merchandise for the show included a toy sonic screwdriver with lights and sound. Being a toy, this was quite robust, although it was somewhat larger than the one used on screen. By the second series, when David Tennant took over, apparently they just used the toy version on screen all the time as it was less prone to breaking during filming.

Matt Smith was reportedly upset that his prop sonic screwdriver (a new design from the Eccleson/Tennant one) is not as good as the toy version....

Last edited:
In many Star Trek: Enterprise episodes, Art Asylum Phase Pistol and Communicator toys were used--a lot. You can see several examples in the It's A Wrap auction. The toy Phase Pistols were repainted for use in the show and the Communicators had blue LEDs installed to replace the standard green ones.

During the 2005 series of Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston he had a sonic screwdriver, new design, new prop. Anecdotally this was somewhat prone to breaking. Tie-in merchandise for the show included a toy sonic screwdriver with lights and sound. Being a toy, this was quite robust, although it was somewhat larger than the one used on screen. By the second series, when David Tennant took over, apparently they just used the toy version on screen all the time as it was less prone to breaking during filming.

Matt Smith was reportedly upset that his prop sonic screwdriver (a new design from the Eccleson/Tennant one) is not as good as the toy version....

Sorry, this is false and an old rumor that won't die. The only confirmed use of the Character Options sonic is in The Eleventh Hour for a split second when they blew it up.

The only show-accurate items that were used in the movie were the 2 plates that make up the front of the morpher. They made a master copy of the plates permanently attached to the docking cradle, and cast that in resin for each Ranger. No other aspect of the props or set pieces came from the show, unless somebody can analyze the briefly seen Saba prop.

The Saba prop was made specifically for the movie.

Last edited:
I can't remember which episode but also in SG-1 the security force on some planet they were visiting were using repainted Nintendo Zappers that had the end of the barrels cut off at an angel as their weapons.

I can't remember which episode but also in SG-1 the security force on some planet they were visiting were using repainted Nintendo Zappers that had the end of the barrels cut off at an angel as their weapons.

The Zapper's barrel already ends at an angle.

A NES joystick is used in Ghostbusters 2:
nesadvantage.jpg
And the 11th Doctor Sonic CO toy was used for a scene in the series 7 episode the Rings of Akhaten. The Doctor points it at a monster and it extends on its own (without being flicked) then gets thrown across a room.

photo_zpsdcdb5682.jpg

Here you go - It was from a multi piece role-play set that had a saber, braid etc. It's next to a MR Qui Gonn in the pic. You can see them in the Padawans hands when Obi Wan is asking Yoda about the missing planet.

Those look almost like Pringles cans in adult hands. I doubt they really used them for the padawans. Can you post an image?

View attachment 215765

Here you go - It was from a multi piece role-play set that had a saber, braid etc. It's next to a MR Qui Gonn in the pic. You can see them in the Padawans hands when Obi Wan is asking Yoda about the missing planet.

Ah, so it's extra small. I didn't know about that role-play set. I thought it was the ones with the retractable blades.

Dropshipbob, I have one of those also. I'd seen ALIENS many times when a friend of mine pointed it out.

larami_aliens_gun2.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m interested in this kind of thing. It’s fairly common knowledge in the Power Rangers fan base that the 90’s toy Morphers were used on-screen.
ADC6A8F3-9818-424B-B985-F05343A47EA7.jpeg

What I find even more interesting is the Nerf ‘Master Blaster‘ toy being converted by the prop department into something called an “Anti-Sonic Foam Gun”(Read More Here) Coincidentally Hasbro now owns both Nerf and the Power Rangers franchise.
398B0DB2-707B-4D92-866F-528EACF2890A.jpeg

225AA9E0-ACA1-4DBE-BA43-D05A281D0AC7.jpeg
C3D9898F-A2CA-44F8-AE73-366D69F45B16.jpeg
389D2B60-EB70-4382-BD2D-6E5A91459466.png

Last edited:
Heh, this is a fun hobby of mine! Here's just a handful I'm aware of...

Jurassic Park 3 (2001)

Carnegie Collection Brachiosaurus
xzIo0nv.jpg

Safari Ltd Velociraptor:
F3OP88E.jpg

Dur Mei Triceratops:
V624NMq.jpg

Jurassic World (2015)

Papo Stegosaurus:
9cyl5bz.jpg

Imperial brand Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus figures:
3IsbV0x.jpg

Original Kenner Snowspeeder (missing canopy)
wQwda7v.jpg

The original E.T. the Extra-terrestrial and Poltergeist movies (both Spielberg) also used a ton of Kenner SW figures and toys.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back