TOS 350 Enterprise Bussard Motor Noise

whb64

Has anyone come up with a good way to quiet down the motors for the bussard fans? Aside from going with an all LED solution that its. I like the look of the spinning inside dome, it definitely is closest to what was seen on screen, but the noise in every build video I have watched is really bad and distracting.

I've seen people pack foam into the nacelle so the motor noise doesn't echo through the nacelle. I've seen them put some rubber or thin foam around the motor itself to isolate it so it's not touching the plastic of the nacelle and keeping the noise from transferring. This helped quiet the noise down pretty well. Not totally silent but much better.

Finding a good motor could be key. The ones that come from Round2 are terrible with their plastic gears. TenaControls has new motors that he says he's specially developed to be quiet. Here's a demo of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYiIlDe73B8
I think he's mentioned that he could possibly sell them separately without purchasing a whole kit. You could contact Ralph directly to see. He's a good guy and really helpful.

Good Luck!

Thanks gene, I'll definitely check on the TenaControls motors and also use the insulation trick too.

I won't be working on this build until after I move, but I am doing research now and getting the parts I will need.

Has anyone come up with a good way to quiet down the motors for the bussard fans? Aside from going with an all LED solution that its. I like the look of the spinning inside dome, it definitely is closest to what was seen on screen, but the noise in every build video I have watched is really bad and distracting.

I highly recommend that you watch this video from Trekworks that specifically addresses how to reduce the bussard fan noise and seems to do a very effective job:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back