Top Gun F-14s Take Two

Live and learn? Without stripping it or (eek!) painting over it, it would be tough to lighten things up at this point.

On another topic, related to the 'grubby paint finishes'. The effect was the result of corrosion control efforts by the airframe techs, even to the point of sometimes patching up after a session with a grinder (!) The touchups were using the supplies on hand, often in spray can form. And as anyone ever aboard a carrier can atest, various greases and hydraulic fluids abound, resulting in a great deal of 'transfer' from hands, feet, etc. With leaks and airflow migrations, all combines to give what you see in your primary references. Only time these birds would look pristine would be right after a strip and repaint while ashore. Rest of the time, it is a matter of keeping ahead of the damage that was always threatening to 'eat' these sea-birds...

The fact you replicated the patterns so faithfully is a true testament to your skills, sir! Raises it to the level of 'art', I would (with many in agreement) say!

Cheers!
Regards, Robert

I've had luck with spraying a very fine and light coat of highly thinned white or light grey over the top. My 1/72 Bandai X Wing was way to contrasty after I finished primary paint and weathering and a mist coat toned it down and blended everything nicely.

I'd definitely experiment before attempting anything on your beautiful Tomcats though.

20210321_161054.jpg

Live and learn? Without stripping it or (eek!) painting over it, it would be tough to lighten things up at this point.

On another topic, related to the 'grubby paint finishes'. The effect was the result of corrosion control efforts by the airframe techs, even to the point of sometimes patching up after a session with a grinder (!) The touchups were using the supplies on hand, often in spray can form. And as anyone ever aboard a carrier can atest, various greases and hydraulic fluids abound, resulting in a great deal of 'transfer' from hands, feet, etc. With leaks and airflow migrations, all combines to give what you see in your primary references. Only time these birds would look pristine would be right after a strip and repaint while ashore. Rest of the time, it is a matter of keeping ahead of the damage that was always threatening to 'eat' these sea-birds...

The fact you replicated the patterns so faithfully is a true testament to your skills, sir! Raises it to the level of 'art', I would (with many in agreement) say!

Cheers!
Regards, Robert
I've had luck with spraying a very fine and light coat of highly thinned white or light grey over the top. My 1/72 Bandai X Wing was way to contrasty after I finished primary paint and weathering and a mist coat toned it down and blended everything nicely.

I'd definitely experiment before attempting anything on your beautiful Tomcats though.

View attachment 1806928

Thanks for the suggestions folk; BTW: I'm not the OP on this topic, but I'd figure I'd ask here. On that note, here's my model that I'm asking about; it looks a bit too dark to me:

100_0460.JPG
100_0461.JPG
100_0462.JPG

I know it's been a bit since anyone's posted here, but I have an issue with the F-14 ( 1/48) I painted (Maverick's plane from Top Gun), and I hope folks here can help me...

Apparently, when I painted it I didn't take into account that the smaller the model, the lighter the paint color has to be. To make matters even worse, the clear coat I used after decalling has caused it to darken even more in the months since I finished it. I'd really hate to have to strip it, as I don't have any replacement decals for it (not to mention the last time was a royal pain!!!) I've tried pastels, but they don't do much once clear or flat are applied. And I haven't had much luck trying to airbrush a lighter color on (not to mention it covers the decals and makes everything look weird.

Any suggestions would be nice. Meantime, the next F-14 (1/72) to be painted is another Top Gun one, and I will be making sure it's in lighter colors!

You can try using some white/very light blue grey oil paint to "stain it" and tone down the darker color

The beauty of oil paint is that if you don't like it, you can easily wipe it off.

I did that below with my 1/72 F-14 to get that "splotchy" look as well as lighten up the Dark Ghost Grey color to be more in scale

I would dab on white oil paint, and then wipe it off with a damp cloth ( I use water mixable oils, but if using regular oils, do the same, but with turpentine) I don't wipe everything off and it leaves kind of a faded look. It works best over a matte or semi-gloss finish than a gloss one, so you may want to first apply that

It is still a work in progress and the canopy is only dry fitted and not glued down yet

1712287529302.png

1712287655784.png

1712287681498.png

1712288295634.png

and for reference, this is a real like example of weathering on an F-14 and the look I was trying to replicate
1712287893889.png

1712287929180.png

You can try using some white/very light blue grey oil paint to "stain it" and tone down the darker color

The beauty of oil paint is that if you don't like it, you can easily wipe it off.

I did that below with my 1/72 F-14 to get that "splotchy" look as well as lighten up the Dark Ghost Grey color to be more in scale

I would dab on white oil paint, and then wipe it off with a damp cloth ( I use water mixable oils, but if using regular oils, do the same, but with turpentine) I don't wipe everything off and it leaves kind of a faded look. It works best over a matte or semi-gloss finish than a gloss one, so you may want to first apply that

It is still a work in progress and the canopy is only dry fitted and not glued down yet

View attachment 1807162

View attachment 1807163
View attachment 1807164
View attachment 1807172
and for reference, this is a real like example of weathering on an F-14 and the look I was trying to replicate
View attachment 1807166
View attachment 1807167
That sounds like a definite plan! Thanks; I'm going to try that (flat coat and white oil paint)!

That sounds like a definite plan! Thanks; I'm going to try that (flat coat and white oil paint)!

also to add, I use old stiff and thicker brushes to dab and kind of feather it out as well, just a tiny bit of paint on the brush, almost as if you were "dry brushing" if that makes sense

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back