AT-ST: Between two logs (FINISHED)

JediMichael

Master Member
Its like Zach Galifianakis' Between two ferns, just much cooler.
So I've seen so many dioramas of an AT-ST falling over from the logs tripping it. Even more like its been months/years since it had fallen and weeds growing over top it....but doing google searches and other searches, I literally could not find one being smashed from the two logs. Best was a youtube video of guys smashing a lego set of one.
So I thought this would be an interesting challenge to try out. Been planning in my head of how to tackle it, but first had to get some other projects out of the way first.
Then last week the Bandai model comes in, and they sent C3-P0 and BB-8. Sent that back, still wanting for the refund, but ordered this again, from a different seller.
So I started this morning, which begins with the legs, which is the easy part, as they aren't really effected by the logs.

20230926_135916.jpg

20230926_173258.jpg

Now for the harder part. Basically the idea would be to have it somewhere between these two frames, frozen in time. There is a frame in the film between the two, but its a giant fireball. I'll probably have a little cotton colored orange coming out, but not too much. We'll see.
smash.jpg

I remembered I had this string from last year buying a Christmas tree. I had figured Walmart would have something to tie it down to the car....nope, had to go buy this. Benefits me now.
20230926_210946.jpg

The idea would be to tie this around the logs I make, and then have some stiff string in the air, like its hanging from the tree, but the diorama ends before you would see the actual tree.
Used this clear tacky glue, but wasn't quite stiff enough, so tried super glue.....
20230926_134123.jpg

...that totally did the trick.
20230926_210925.jpg

Painted the little guys who are about to meet their doom.
20230926_190029.jpg

Now trying to figure out how much to damage the head, without doing too much. I started by hitting with a torch and pushing each side down with a rock.
The inside where the guys are, I took a dremel and cut it in two, shaving off a little bit, and have now glued it back together. Still working this part out.
20230926_193514.jpg

For the logs, I thought clay would work out best. I'm not really a sculptor, but figured this couldn't be too hard. Added a screw threads deep inside, with about an inch sticking out. I'll glue in a bolt to the main head (hidden) so they can be screwed in, or unscrewed out if needed.
20230926_204757.jpg

Got both done. I think the top one is slightly thicker, but not by much. Now to let them dry. Eventually paint them, added the string and go from there.
20230926_205840.jpg

Hope they aren't too heavy.

Last edited:
Excellent idea for a diorama.(y)
I would also suggest using Elmer's white glue. ( or any other white glue brand that cleans up with water)
I have used white glue for many different modeling applications. The good thing about white glue is, you have time to work with it, reposition it. Especially when it is time to wrap the string around the logs. Superglue is kind of 'your stuck with it' when it kicks off. ;)
Can't wait to see how this develops!!

So yesterday I woke up quite sick, but feeling better today, mostly.
So getting some more done.
The logs are still not fully cured anyways...and looking at the bigger one, I think I'm going to make another that matches the first in size.

Heres the front, with side pieces laying down. The actual front melted just a bit more than I was meaning to, but it will work out.
20230928_110452.jpg

Melted the control panel a little and its gluing in right now.
Once thats dry and sturdy, I plan to make sure of where the nuts will fit inside, glue on the outer part, and then I want to try and heat up a piece of metal, about the size of the logs, and push into each side. Hopefully that works.
A bit nervous buying a $35 dollar kit just to half destroy and hope it turns out like I want.
20230928_110704.jpg

Got the back on. Dremeled it enough, then snapped it in two.
20230930_012330.jpg

The shot is so fast, and you never see the back, so hard to know what it would do from two logs smashing it.
20230930_012322.jpg

So ton figure out the roof part.
Probably chop it up similar to the front.
I want to at least see the guys a little.....knowing what their fate will be in about 0.2 of a second.

Nice work so far! I know you're left to your own imagination as to how the head would look getting smashed between logs, but I would think the metal would just bend more than shatter under compression. I know the plastic of the kit is thicker than what the metal skin of a "real" AT-ST might be at this scale, so I thought maybe skinning it with aluminum foil or a thin sheet metal might give more of the look of bent, compressed metal.
Then again, there certainly could be metal breakage due to the extreme stress. Plus, there's also the internal explosion that might blow the metal apart from the inside out. Just my two cents. Looking forward to how it turns out!

Nice work so far! I know you're left to your own imagination as to how the head would look getting smashed between logs, but I would think the metal would just bend more than shatter under compression. I know the plastic of the kit is thicker than what the metal skin of a "real" AT-ST might be at this scale, so I thought maybe skinning it with aluminum foil or a thin sheet metal might give more of the look of bent, compressed metal.
Then again, there certainly could be metal breakage due to the extreme stress. Plus, there's also the internal explosion that might blow the metal apart from the inside out. Just my two cents. Looking forward to how it turns out!
Thanks.
Trying to bend it at all, just snaps the plastic. So thats why I was hoping to quickly hit it with a torch, but by the time it can bend, its already starting to melt. So its just come down to a mix of all of it and then maybe fill in some gaps with filler to look more like a bend. Not really sure, just kinda playing by ear and see how it goes step by step.
Definitely the most odd way I've ever built a model.

It might have been easier to cut thin aluminum sheet from a baking tin like a papercraft or photoetch model and fold the cabin exterior "box", then smash it for real, since then it would fold like real metal because... well, it's real metal. ;) I know there are free papercraft kits out there whose shapes are quite accurate, or at least accurate enough to serve as a starting point.

Nonetheless, it's a good start!

I would suggest using a candle instead of a tourch. You can control the melting by keeping a distance from the frame and moving the part in and out of the flame. Wear a heavy glove so you do not burn yourself. ;)
Looking good!

Cool project.

To get the bent metal look, study how guys who build model cars duplicate body panel damage. They will dupe the panel out of heavy aluminum foil (like smoothing layers of foil over the real item) and then carefully crumple the foil. Then they either reinforce the backside of crumpled foil piece with resin/filler, or else pour resin into the backside of the foil to mold duplicate shape for the final model.

I think the aluminum idea could work, had I known about it sooner. I've pretty much got enough damage, there theres not really enough room left for much more.
Now a candle to to help slightly crunch in a little more could possibly work....if I even have a candle that is. I think I have some birthday cake ones. I'll have to look.

Finally got around to making a new log, on the right. The left one was just too big.
20231001_005357.jpg

Balancing everything to see how it will look. Not sure how heavy it will be with both logs screwed in. The feet do lock into the base, so hopefully it will hold alright. Takes about 2 days for the clay to fully harden.
20231001_005550.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back