Tony Stark Black Sabbath Avengers t-shirt?

Hey guys,
So I had some time to kill in the mall today and didn't know what to do. So I went to HMV and noticed some nice shirts (one was an Avenger's logo). So then I thought... MAYBE I could find the Black Sabbath shirt Tony Stark had on. Then I went to Backstage Pass and at about 5 mins before the mall closed I FOUND IT:D YAY!! Here's some pics.

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2927-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just place an order for this shirt from Ebay.

BLACK SABBATH Tony Stark AVENGERS Iron Man New Movie T Shirt | eBay

The size of the graphic looks to be close and it doesn't appear to be printed too far down on the shirt like most shown here and online. For the price, I couldn't resist. I will be sure to post my thoughts on it once it arrives.

That looks pretty good! My graphic's too big:( I didn't realize that in the store when I bought it though. It was just kind of a spur of the moment decission. I still like it though:)

hi, sorry to give this a bit of a bump but thought it better than starting a whole new thread.

I've finally got my paws on one of these shirts from ebay and have found the cheapo arc I've made doesn't really show through the design (its quite thick rubbery stuff) I know someone earlier int he thread said they'd weathered the shirt but all i want to do do is weather the graphic, I thought sandpaper but my wife reckons ironing it with something in between the iron and the print would take a bit of the rubbery stuff off, what i don't want to do is fudge the tshirt up with an impulse attack on it.

can someone suggest the best way i could go about this?

cheers

hi, sorry to give this a bit of a bump but thought it better than starting a whole new thread.

I've finally got my paws on one of these shirts from ebay and have found the cheapo arc I've made doesn't really show through the design (its quite thick rubbery stuff) I know someone earlier int he thread said they'd weathered the shirt but all i want to do do is weather the graphic, I thought sandpaper but my wife reckons ironing it with something in between the iron and the print would take a bit of the rubbery stuff off, what i don't want to do is fudge the tshirt up with an impulse attack on it.

can someone suggest the best way i could go about this?

cheers

Yeah, I got one of those shirts with the rubbery graphics. My arc didnt shine through either and I had a supper ass bright arc. Anyways, I did use sand paper on mine and sanded it down pretty thin. You dont have to do that to the whole shirt. Now I will warn you that when I started sanding the rubber stuff it started taking the color off of it. Like the color was only on the top part of the rubber and the rubber is actually white. What I did was after I got the desired effect on the graphic I took a couple of those furniture touch up markers and I went over the entire design with the lightest brown and then back over some of the design with the medium brown.

They usually sell the markers in a pack of three... I already had some since they work great on your furniture especially if you have kids. I think it turned out pretty good but I have shirts that have much better graphics and have more of a vintage feel to them that I spend much less on.... I just wish that I could get this shirt (design) with that quality.

I'm watching the avengers again and just had to get my hands on the shirt

As everyone pointed out, most of the shirts available on eBay etc are not quite right in terms of printing and weathering. However, I did work on Tshirt designs for a better part of 12 years and would be able to help in describing how to get the proper effect if someone decides to create this shirt.
Most designs printed on black shirts require an undercoat of white paint called a "flash". Once the design is printed, the "flash" gives the colors a bright look, and also makes the printed area very thick and plasticky.
However if you want the design to look faded and distressed the best bet would be to add softener tothe brownish color and print it without a flash. This will not only make the printed area less thick than a flash print but would also give the printed area a slightly translucent faded style.

A single pass on the screenprint machine may not be enough for the brown to show enough on the black shirt, but two or three passes may do the trick. If there's enough softener mixed into the brown ink it shouldn't be thick at all.

I work for a PR and marketing company and we're always having promotional shirts made, so it's something I could get done pretty easily, assuming no more established members were on it! I don't think it'd be too hard to make it screen accurate either, although the shirts might well end up being more expensive than the eBay versions. I'd need a hi-res version of the image for printing though.

I work for a PR and marketing company and we're always having promotional shirts made, so it's something I could get done pretty easily, assuming no more established members were on it! I don't think it'd be too hard to make it screen accurate either, although the shirts might well end up being more expensive than the eBay versions. I'd need a hi-res version of the image for printing though.

I would probably go for a more accurate shirt that had the vintage image printed on a vintage type shirt. I couldn't spend a whole lot of money on it though. I imagine the price will depend on how many people are interested. Count me in depending on final price. If you are serious about this then I would start an interest thread in the junkyard and show people what kind of shirt it would be printed on.

I have searched a very long time for a high res image of this design and I came up with some medium res images. check them out here:
Shirt 1
Shirt 2
Shirt 3

The first and the last pics appear to have been taken of actual t-shirts and so are a little distorted but they are the largest resolution images I could find. The 2nd pic appears to be an original design image but the resolution is much lower. I don't know how these would look if you blew them up to the size required but one good thing about it is that the shirts are supposed to be vintage and worn so any rough edges could be attributed to excessive wear vs it looking like a low res image.

The 3rd image (red one) appears to be of pretty good quality and not as distorted as the first image. It looks closer to the 2nd pic. The words at the top don't seem to follow a smooth arc though... and the US Tour 78 seems to dip down a little towards the end. I think the words are a little distorted but these could be corrected or replaced with the right software. If you could play with the colors then that image would be the best to use I imagine. I could give it a shot if you like. I would need more info on what would work best for t-shirt printing (ie should the image be white on a black background, black on a white background, and what size resolution do you need).

I hope you can use them.

Last edited:
Looking around the net, it looks like Universal Music are doing a version in the next couple of weeks and it looks pretty accurate, maybe a bit low on the shirt...

34192001_medium.jpg

Maybe little point in cleaning up the artwork and sending it out to my suppliers!

I can't see that image, the link is asking me to login to LiveDrive...

But having another look at a screen grab and you're right, it's quite a bit bigger judging from where the armpits/arc reactor line up with the image.

robert-downey-jr-as-tony-stark-in-the-avengers.jpg

I ordered two shirts off ebay from two different sellers.

t_bone_inc: Shirt is screen printed, the printing is gold and CLOSE to the color we see on screen, but not exact. It's printed on a heavyweight GILDAN shirt, and the collar is too wide. This is not a match for the screen used shirt, but it would do, if they hadn't sent the wrong size.

amazing-tees: Shirt appears to be the correct weight fabric, but the collar is still too wide. Printing appears to be a thermal transfer and is COMPLETELY the wrong color, it's more of a gray or charcoal.

I'm not 100% happy with either one.

Kurt! KURRRRRT! :lol

Haha, sorry I didn't "hear" you calling, lol. Well, it looks like everyone is happy or at least found something they can live with, no need for me to jump in...

BUT next time, someone PM me!! Always looking for a challenging, cool shirt run! Especially a reproduction!

-K

I got my shirt like this in Toronto Canada at a store called hot topics. This shirt is now available at HMV in Canada. The shirt in the movie is short sleeved with a long shirt under it. The versions I'm talking about available in Canada that I've found don't have the arc image imprinted on it.

If anyone is interested in these still, I picked up mine from Khols today for like $17.

189705_445290918841184_1783452568_n.jpg

It's curious, because I had considered buying one just a few weeks ago on amazon.

No I didn't see it in women's just for men :-/ sorry, doesn't hurt to check if its just around the corner though I might have missed it.

I believe it was $17 at mine.

I noticed a section of similar ladies "rock n' roll" shirts on the way in, but didn't check it out. Contrary to popular belief, I don't browse that department all that often. :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back