Tomorrowland Jetpack

Great build- though I'd like to note while we used a lot of those parts (like the Electrolux) for reference, they were modeled and 3D printed because they ended up as not quite 100% scale.
Thanks, yeah I had heard the pack was entirely 3D printed. Mine will be a mix for sure. I'm just trying to be accurate to the design look and intention, not necessarily the actual found parts.

The aluminum backplate for the harness is actually an old street sign, which feels appropriate for a jetpack built in a barn.

Working through the linkage system that attached the two shovels (flaps) to the pack. I'm using some aluminum tube with 3D modeled links.

eyg2K%V9SlK30UpFV3oICg.jpgBw6yWMkkSYKe7BF%mjlhDQ.jpgScreen Shot 2021-08-09 at 8.59.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Today I printed the pieces for the flaps and assembled the mechanism. This will be mounted once I figure out how to connect it.

I also sewed the back pad and attached it to the aluminum plate. And finally, (because I've been WAITING for this step, I created the harness out of seat belt material and attached the lift-latch buckle. Which means I COULD STRAP IT ON TODAY!!! Well, for a few minutes. It's surprisingly comfortable.

I'm seriously considering a full Frank Walker costume ... The jacket he wore flying around Tomorrowland, not the farm outfit.

ubnRxqctRYW%j7gKBHciJg.jpgfullsizeoutput_2b35.jpegfullsizeoutput_2b36.jpegzH1wbiRrSsK9ub5EBwf1Cw.jpgcUw3o14ISpqhoRU3ey2RPA.jpgsSNhPqZtTUytpS1h%d5mqg.jpgC4Xb6vOzT7G369xy8yByqA.jpgki45PMaMTP+smmWMw%LhnA.jpg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2b38.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2b38.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Okay, mounted the flaps mechanism to the backplate. This will allow them to pivot properly. My plan is to make the shovels out of Styrene sheet to keep them light. I used this opportunity to to a dry-fit assembly of where I'm at so far.

fullsizeoutput_2b39.jpegqyeaIWMERoqhdWeiY5vM%A.jpgpX445prTTf+bPDVOy7n3Zg.jpgxmqEl08GTMKGpjPfJh5pcg.jpgUZ6UE5arQK+0v2MwhtFdVg.jpg5oSumokORmK4o+xuH35lAQ.jpgLcfdRHGHSxGQVPI6CBiaCw.jpgXI9e3iX6SIuq2U4TsjxD4A.jpg

Today I received the last pieces of the folding handle assembly. I know these are not screen-accurate, but I really like how mechanical and robust they are. And they mimic the range of motion of the screen pack. They are elbows and pivots designed for boat canopies. Again, in the spirit of the story, certainly something that might be found in a barn.

IMG_6401.jpegIMG_6399.jpegIMG_6398.jpegIMG_6397.jpegIMG_6400.jpeg

Last edited:
Just started a bit of painting and weathering. Things are going to get dirty. I also plan on using a variety of silver metals throughout. If this is built from a bunch of found items, they would NOT all match.

fullsizeoutput_2b44.jpegTHQ8p70KShKZ2xowrQSHSw.jpg4j4F1I1eTQOjb6JvWywjzg.jpgKGRrfsubR8KXmzJDa5fXKg.jpg

I'm knee deep in paint and weathering (finally!) ... There is little that brings me more joy than doing a proper heat-distressed metal effect. These rocket bells painted up well and REALLY came to life with some dark washes to make them junkyard found.

Q0hEL4aTTte0EBI73gtReQ.jpg346A5F9C-6C7C-402C-91EF-5A7D0C0E2B90.jpg

One of the final pieces, and a part I was really stressing about how to create was the two shovels used for engine flaps. I've seen others use the blades from small camp shovels. But I didn't want to add the weight to my pack (which is already getting heavy). My solution was to use sheet styrene. How did I get the curvature of a shovel? I heated the sheet up and pressed it into the head of a shovel! This captured just the right curvature. A couple rounds of military green, paint chips and rust and I had a couple great shovel heads.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2b48.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2b48.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
  • cgzDQWXARGKDqnxPBOyPew.jpg
    cgzDQWXARGKDqnxPBOyPew.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • WuwVbQY8S%eYGalWAGnzLA.jpg
    WuwVbQY8S%eYGalWAGnzLA.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • fullsizeoutput_2b4c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2b4c.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 66
  • fullsizeoutput_2b4a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2b4a.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 75
  • exvQw%vvRH+6V3YdHXUKzw.jpg
    exvQw%vvRH+6V3YdHXUKzw.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
You did a fantastic job, and this was definitely one of my favorite threads to watch in 2021. Such a beautiful prop!

Valor that is epic, mine is pretty good but yours is really top notch, I want to finish my back and handles but then it won't fit in my cabinet, anyway great work, here is mine.
My Best,
AL

Attachments

• Tomorrowland Jet Pac 1.jpg
    Tomorrowland Jet Pac 1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • Tomorrowland Jet Pac 2.jpg
    Tomorrowland Jet Pac 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 52
  • Tomorrowland Jet Pac 3.jpg
    Tomorrowland Jet Pac 3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
  • Tomorrowland Jet Pac 4.jpg
    Tomorrowland Jet Pac 4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
Just landed the Electrolux vacs for this build and getting all inspired. Valor are making your print files available for this build? Would love to utilize them if at all possible.
T

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back