Tombstone Val Kilmer / Doc Holliday Costume

Question: Did this shop actually dye the pattern as well? Not to offer any kudos but that is very very difficult. I can't even imagine attempting such a feat on velvet. That is far beyond my capacity.
Yes, my main problem with this vest was they made it to small and it doesn’t fit me. Also, the print should have never been done on velvet as Doc’s vest wasn’t velvet. Doesn’t matter now as I am doing this project myself and my vest will be MUCH BETTER ;)

Wyatt’s/Doc’s Deputy US Marshal Badge I had custom made :cool:
IMG_5104.jpeg
IMG_3395.jpeg

Yep, this was done on the cheap:(o_O As you said; the dye wasn't left long enough to penetrate the velvet properly.
I'm not even talking about the terrible back panel (that's a crime right there if you know how those vests were made in the first place)!
And, as you said: it's like wearing your grand-ma's rug.:oops:
Barely related so I apologize, but with printing like this is 'leaving it in longer' an option to help the dye/ink penetrate better? I'm asking because I'm dealing with a similar issue with some custom printed corduroy fabric I ordered:

icm_fullxfull.598517669_rdl9ml48ydc00wkks040.jpg
The seller is looking into whether they can re-print and fix it, but would it be as simple as letting it sit longer before setting the dye or something? I have no idea how fabric printing works.

Barely related so I apologize, but with printing like this is 'leaving it in longer' an option to help the dye/ink penetrate better? I'm asking because I'm dealing with a similar issue with some custom printed corduroy fabric I ordered:

View attachment 1761742
The seller is looking into whether they can re-print and fix it, but would it be as simple as letting it sit longer before setting the dye or something? I have no idea how fabric printing works.
I have the same question because it is a pattern not a flood stain. That seems next to impossible but I have only dabbled.

Disappointment #2, Doc’s Red Huckleberry Vest

Upon first glance one would say this is a pretty nice vest, but in truth I would put it on the list of just Okay, but it’s definitely not worth the price I paid for it.

First off the company made the vest from velvet. I would say the main problem with this is the dye job didn’t penetrate deep enough which causes the fabric to turn white when the fabric is folded over. If you look at all the edges on this vest you can see what I mean. Next because the fabric was done in velvet, it makes you feel like you are wearing your grandmother’s sofa/couch. Next the back panel was made in four different panels which the original was only made in two pieces.

At the end of the day a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT but most of all the company made it TO SMALL, as they did NOT make it in the measurements I gave them.

This is why I am taking full charge of this project! From now on EVERYTHING will be done by me. Yes, I am having all this fabric redone and all the vest will be made by my company. Great thing is that these vest will cost no where near the price this company was charging.

View attachment 1760901View attachment 1760902View attachment 1760903View attachment 1760904View attachment 1760905
View attachment 1760900
Is your company going to be remaking the fabric too or are you getting that somewhere else?

View attachment 1761742
Usually, the fabric will "blanche" when sewed (when done on the cheap) The foot of the sewing machine is rubbing the fabric while the seamstress is putting the garment together. You see the the different color at the collar, sleeves, etc...depending on the fabric, of course. Heavy fabric has a tendency to "fold harder" as it get squished between the foot of the machine and its base.

View attachment 1761742
Sorry I don't have the answer for you on this, but IF I had to say, I would say the fabric is to thick to fully penetrate, as I think this was the problem on my vest. Basically the velvet was just to thick as it felt VERY PLUSHY. NOT a good fabric choice for a vest in my opinion.

JohnHolliday, I can't remember if you have provided your store info or run/order info on your products. I certainly don't mean to derail your intentional Doc thread but I really am impressed with your work and would love to order some bits.
I haven't given out the website to anyone at the present time as we are still trying to get everything finished on it, so we won't have any problems when we actually debut it. We also have a Facebook page and an Instagram page. When we are ready to go, I will post everything on here so everyone can check it out :) We are working on SO MUCH STUFF it's not even funny at this point. I think we will have just about every shirt John Wayne ever wore, several Clint Eastwood shirts, Gus's shirt from Lonesome Dove, Tom Selleck shirts from his most popular westerns, Johnny Ringo's shirt, a Wyatt Earp collection, and of course ALL of Doc's stuff, plus many more items that are in the works.

Sorry I don't have the answer for you on this, but IF I had to say, I would say the fabric is to thick to fully penetrate, as I think this was the problem on my vest. Basically the velvet was just to thick as it felt VERY PLUSHY. NOT a good fabric choice for a vest in my opinion.
I definitely agree the velvet is wrong in terms of accuracy, it looks much thicker than the vest in the film, but I do think the fabric looks pretty nice, certainly better than how my corduroy turned out. Maybe the photos are making the blanching look less severe than it actually is though, mine looks worse in person than in my pic. I'm working on getting mine reprinted without the green ink so that I can just dye the whole thing green afterwards and 'fill in' the white bits between the ribs without having to worry about darkening the floral pattern as well.

I haven't given out the website to anyone at the present time as we are still trying to get everything finished on it, so we won't have any problems when we actually debut it. We also have a Facebook page and an Instagram page. When we are ready to go, I will post everything on here so everyone can check it out :) We are working on SO MUCH STUFF it's not even funny at this point. I think we will have just about every shirt John Wayne ever wore, several Clint Eastwood shirts, Gus's shirt from Lonesome Dove, Tom Selleck shirts from his most popular westerns, Johnny Ringo's shirt, a Wyatt Earp collection, and of course ALL of Doc's stuff, plus many more items that are in the works.
You should have started that paragraph with Hello so I could say "You had me at Hello" but really you had me when I saw your serious OCD for quality and accuracy. OK, officially back to the Doc thread.

You should have started that paragraph with Hello so I could say "You had me at Hello" but really you had me when I saw your serious OCD for quality and accuracy. OK, officially back to the Doc thread.
Thank You Buddy :) I take great pride In anything I put my hands on and because of that I have made a pretty good living. Some people call it OCD, I call it paying attention to the little details ;) I think this website is going to blow the socks off any western fan out there :cool:

Disappointment #3

This vest was actually the nicest of the two vests. My only complaint was it was made to small and the back was made in four panels like the red vest. Once again, I will be taking on redoing this fabric and making this vest the way it should have been made the first time. :cool:
gold vest 1.jpg
gold vest 2.jpg
gold vest 3.jpg
gold vest 4.jpg

Disappointment #3

This vest was actually the nicest of the two vests. My only complaint was it was made to small and the back was made in four panels like the red vest. Once again, I will be taking on redoing this fabric and making this vest the way it should have been made the first time. :cool:View attachment 1762447View attachment 1762448View attachment 1762449View attachment 1762450
Because I am not comparing it to the original, I can only say WOW, I really love this vest. Can't wait to see final product.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back