Thought on these mold pics?

You would think that after assembling a number of helmets he wouldn't need reference pics anymore. I watched TE (Matt) assemble helmets & armor without any reference pics. I figured the so called 'original mould maker' would have this stuff burned in his head, even after 20 years. Even so, after making these for about a year, he would have no reason to have reference pics for any of the helmets, unless he really didn't know how to put them all together...

I've just remembered that AA used to have local college students to help him assemble Trooper buckets - this would explain the reference
I always thought my TE helmet was rather badly assembled to tell the truth - because of the way it's riveted the bottom of the dome angles inward...

I've always been of the opinion wether he has the original moulds or not there is no way they can be in the same original state they were when first used anyway.
They were reworked after the original stunt helmets were pulled we know that to pull the hero helmets so would be reworked again in order to remake new stunts.
To me it's akin to having a vintage car chassis with all new body panels and calling it an original car.

I've just remembered that AA used to have local college students to help him assemble Trooper buckets - this would explain the reference
I always thought my TE helmet was rather badly assembled to tell the truth - because of the way it's riveted the bottom of the dome angles inward...

It's supposed to be riveted, and the uniqueness of having a helmet as close to the real thing is that it's supposed to have flaws. If you want a 'perfect' helmet, buy an RT Mod or maybe you could get lucky with MR... :confused

It's supposed to be riveted, and the uniqueness of having a helmet as close to the real thing is that it's supposed to have flaws. If you want a 'perfect' helmet, buy an RT Mod or maybe you could get lucky with MR... :confused

I know the helmets were riveted - my helmet was riveted badly so the bottom of the dome pinches inwards.
Not a flaw I've seen on an original helmet - so there!

Last edited:
Why haven't the mods locked this thread yet?

Please refer to the RPF CofC - No posts questioning the authenticity of any goods sold, or reference to any questionable business practices of Andrew Ainsworth are allowed.
:lol

Just kidding!

In the old days this thread would be about 40 pages long already - everyone's Ainsworthed to death now...

I used to like those nasty old flamey threads - they were very entertaining!

Well, no one's really fighting, but there really isn't anything to add unless someone wants to be a hero and try to get an answer out of AA about those pics.

God who cares!? Threads like this are done to death. Petty little fights about minor details on a piece of plastic that was made 30 years ago.

Tell me, if you made something 30 years ago, would you remember EVERY minor detail that went into it? I'm guessing not.

I'm not supporting AA here, personally I think he's a likeable rogue and businessman who has made the wrong chioce and fibbed about origins without realising there are people like us waiting to pounce.

He did lie, no question.

But I'm so Ainsworthed out now, that it's taken the shine off my trooper obsession. I've sold most of my lids out of sheer boredom on the subject.

Talk about something new.

Agreed Helmetman - definately didn't realize there were people like us out there who would see all the inconsistentcies in his trooper helmet.
I can also remember quite a lot of people swearing blind that the SDS was spot on too.

I have coined a the new phrase 'Ainsworthed out'.

God who cares!? Threads like this are done to death. Petty little fights about minor details on a piece of plastic that was made 30 years ago.

Tell me, if you made something 30 years ago, would you remember EVERY minor detail that went into it? I'm guessing not.

I'm not supporting AA here, personally I think he's a likeable rogue and businessman who has made the wrong chioce and fibbed about origins without realising there are people like us waiting to pounce.

He did lie, no question.

But I'm so Ainsworthed out now, that it's taken the shine off my trooper obsession. I've sold most of my lids out of sheer boredom on the subject.

Talk about something new.

I agree with all that you have said, except IMO it would be good to finally resolve the issue over the moulds - one way or another.

Cheers

Jez

I decided to drop AA a note with pics. Here is his reply:

> The moulds are made mainly from aluminium with several repairs over
> the
> years, especially at the back of the helmet. The moulds are open to
> public
> information now, as we have disclosed them in our copyright case
> with Lucas.
> Any questions...just ask..

He seems to imply that they are the original molds, but doesn't say it directly.

Andrew was kind enought o answer some off topis emails I sent him (about the see-through Alien) and sent me an interview he did about the storm trooper stuff.
I won't 'defend' him cos people will make their own minds up regardless- but here is some good info for anybody interested, taken from this interview.

Dan

Quote:
While at Shepperton Studios I meticulously kept all moulds on racks in an organised manner and all with protective skins moulded and left on them until further use. We used to sell the same props, or derivatives of, several times over, as new production companies came and went. This was standard practice at all studios and in fact the `prop stores` are without a doubt the most fascinating insight into movie history. The word `prop` means property. The items we retained from film productions were our property and it was our business to reinvent them or sell them again for the production of lesser movies or maybe ads. I remember one quite splendid helmet that I created for `Outland`, it not only appeared in another four movies but ended up as the main feature in a British Airways advert.

After finishing with the film business and requiring valuable space, I decided one day in the early eighties to have a clear out. Out went the Stormtrooper armour moulds, but I kept the protective skins for reference, and I also kept the moulds for the helmets, as they were better made , in pretty good condition and possibly one day may have a use.

4. Are the helmets from the original moulds?...

Yes they certainly are….except for the Stormtrooper Battle Spec, which is CNC machined and very good reproduction. Even I have capitulated and have started to use computers.

5. Who actually makes your current production of helmets.?...

I make the hand made ones from the original moulds and I get help with the Battle Specs.

6.. Debate over the rear swoop of the helmet and undercut under `vocoder`….

My original concept was to make the character without joints and to be as organically grown as possible. To achieve this all mouldings had to be undercut and blend into the next. With the Stormtrooper helmet, I had conceived to make it by rotational moulding, that is in a split female mould using PVC or PU polyols. Considering that the development budget was zero, my ambitions were curtailed into practicalities and so I looked around the workshop to find an alternative and something that would suffice as a prototype.

`Fishponds`…that was the answer. I was running a nice line in fishponds and rock cascades, made from HDPE, a tough flexible material in a beautiful` gungy ` green. I manufactured these fishponds from sheet material 1.5mm thick, heated to a semi molten state and sucked with vacuum over a male mould. The material is a pig to mould and really needs something as rough as the texture on a rock cascade to stop the moulded item shrinking back to its preformed shape. Its advantages were that it would form well in undercuts and was tough enough to spring off overcentre moulds without cracking.

Knowing the exact parameters of this materials moulding characteristics, I set about sculpting a Stormtrooper head mould incorporating the absolute maximum undercuts and tumblehomes that I reckoned I could mould the HDPE material around and still achieve a release. This is where the mould making material I used came into there own, by slowly increasing the undercuts on the sculpted head and trial running the mouldings, I eventually arrived at the maximum undercuts I could achieve. This method of trial and error, contributed significantly to determining the final shape of the head, and at the end of the day, although not quite as originally conceived, it was a pretty good effort.

OK. .at this point I had proved to myself that a reasonable undercut could be achieved…but it was vacuum formed piece and as such only part of an all enveloping structure. To make a complete head I was going to have to mate a few moulding together. If this was going to look any good at all I would have to be subtle on how I disguised the joints….It could not look fabricated…..that would really defeat the object of the exercise.

I ended up making the head from five mouldings, each one incorporating the maximum undercuts for that particular moulding and each one overlapping the other on sympathetic lines that disguised the joints and gave the overall appearance of homogeneous, organically grown being. Splitting the sculpted moulds up like this also gave me the facility to enhance certain aspects and characteristics. For example:- the ears which hid the vertical joint on the side of the head could also be used to widen the head and increase the intimidating presence of the being , such as can found in a lion’s main or aggressive lizard. The eyes, like a fly`s eye could be made to see in all directions, hence the `blister eyes` and again adding to the intimidating features of the character. Features like these allowed me to fine tune the character and hence the first prototype that I presented was eagerly accepted. A request for 50 heads soon followed.

This was fine, but I had presented a prototype that was made from a totally unsuitable materials and a material that was not really viable for reproducing a larger quantity than one.
However I persevered and made several more helmets in the green HDPE. The front face of the character held up reasonably well on shrinkage, but the looser back part was susceptible to severe distortion, and every helmet I made ended up a different distorted shape in this area. In actual fact I had overcome this previously with a cunning trick of moulding, but the budget restraints led me to abandon it. I had incorporated a serrated flexible hose as an insert around the back of the head, moulded over it and completely encapsulating it. Upon release the moulding brought the flexible hose with it and `hey presto` a beautiful undercut with minimum distortion.

The few initial samples of helmets were now being used on the film set, they obviously fitted the bill as I was asked to visit the studios to discuss the project. It was obvious from this meeting that the production team had little success in making headway with any characters, and so I was asked if I could also make the rest of the Stormtrooper character, along with a host of others. My contact after this meeting was John Mollo, who visited me at Twickenham for future discussions. One of the main points of discussion was the materials I could use to make the characters. It obviously was not viable to continue using the fish pond material and the minimum quantity of bespoke material that I could get made was I ton. Well a ton of plastic at 1.5mm thick makes a hell of a lot of mouldings and although the production company was extremely enthusiastic and encouraging for me to produce items for them, I had no order or contract.

I trusted John Mollo, but I was being asked to invest in a ton of material, only 1/3 of which would be enough for the requirements, to produce items that I had to develop at my own cost on the hearsay that I might get paid. Well that’s the film industry…..and of course I did it..
The material was a problem, HDPE was a nightmare to mould and when it came to the armour, you would have severe problems joining it. My knowledge extended to other thermoplastic materials and I opted. for and ABS with a high content of butadiene This formulation offered good impact strength with an adequate degree of flexibility that would allow an actor to perform in the armour and also allow me to manipulate reasonable undercuts from the moulded material at 1.5mm thick. It was also chemically weldable, which was a fundamental requirement if the required effect was to be achieved. Colour….well 30 years ago thermoplastic extruders were not thick on the ground. Materials were used for mainly engineering applications and so available colours were limited. At a minimum extruded quantity of 1 ton my options were black, grey or white.. My risk was to be left with the material if the job went pear shape, plus I had 2/3 ton to absorb into my stock that I would have to find a use for. I chose white as the most useful colour and that is why the Stormtroopers are all white as also are the X wing pilots. Other characters that I made were black and grey and in 3mm thick material, this was more of a stock item and easier to source.

Apart from the initial few sets in HDPE the majority of the Stormtrooper helmets and all of the armour were moulded in the white ABS, but I could not achieve the same extent of undercut on the mouldings as I could with the HDPE. I could not even get a release off the back of the helmet and had to cut each moulding off the mould in order to prise off the finished article. Needless to say the back of the mould took a hammering, knife marks and gouges were everywhere and over the production of 56 helmets I must have rebuilt the back of the mould about a dozen times, hence the variation in shape.. It did not really matter, they were all similar and in any event better looking overall than the original samples in HDPE.

Now it has come to producing the current production off the same moulds the parameters have changed a little. 30 year old materials would not be acceptable as regards quality of finish for a discerning collector of memorabilia. We now have Acrylic capped ABS that is consistent in colour and is not affected by UV light. The downside of this good looking material is that it is not as flexible as the old butadiene enriched ABS that I used 30 years ago, and so I cannot achieve the same undercuts from the original moulds. The undercuts are still on the mould but I cannot get a release in these new materials, and so we have compromised at what you see now as the Stunt and Hero helmets in our range. Even within this current production I have had to repair the back of the mould once and so the earliest Stunts are probably a little different to today’s production. I have now settled on a permanent repair with modern materials and I do not think the shape of this part of the mould will change again.

HOpe you found it interesting !:)

Who wants to field this one? I'm tired.
Wait, I've still got some left in me...

For stormtroopers:
All the stunt (background) helmets' faces and back/cap were made of hdpe.
Only their earcaps were made of abs.

Only the hero helmets were made entirely of abs and there were only about 6 made.

I chose white as the most useful colour and that is why the Stormtroopers are all white as also are the X wing pilots. Other characters that I made were black and grey and in 3mm thick material, this was more of a stock item and easier to source.

So it's just an amazing coincidence that [SIZE=-1]Ralph McQuarrie's designs were white too.

Next he'll be telling us he also wrote Star Wars.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Andrew Ainworth said:
Also, at the time I was meeting with John Mollo, he noticed that I was making all of these helmets by hand and with no help- totally solo. Strangely, I had given up smoking cigarettes at the time, and was chewing tobacco.

Hand Solo; Chew 'bacco. Notice any similarity to names that mysteriously pop up in the film? Hmmm? Yes? Hmmm?

I received no credit or payment for those either.

I didn't realize he was so integral to the movie. :rolleyes

So it's just an amazing coincidence that [SIZE=-1]Ralph McQuarrie's designs were white too.

Next he'll be telling us he also wrote Star Wars.
[/SIZE]

He did! I found a copy of the original script (huh, what's with all the White-Out?) with his name on it! :eek
Another drawn out tale conflicting the facts; shocker. You'd think he were making it up as he goes. Oh yeah...
"Lord, give me the strength to BS through the facts that I cannot change."-12 step malarkey program.
JJ

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back