Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Yep, even if the ship was hit in the opposite end, nowhere near the bridge.

You're so right, I totally forgot about that. It's sort of like how in Trek shields always seem to get stronger the lower their percentage; whenever a (Federation) ship gets hit its shields start dropping by 10% - 15% increments with every hit but once they're down to a critical level like 30% - 40% each hit all of a sudden only brings the shields down by 5% max until the shields are down to like 10% at which time each hit only brings the shields down by .5%.

You're so right, I totally forgot about that. It's sort of like how in Trek shields always seem to get stronger the lower their percentage; whenever a (Federation) ship gets hit its shields start dropping by 10% - 15% increments with every hit but once they're down to a critical level like 30% - 40% each hit all of a sudden only brings the shields down by 5% max until the shields are down to like 10% at which time each hit only brings the shields down by .5%.

That's easily explained. Hero shields are always reduced by 50% of their then-current total. So, shields at 100% which are hit, are reduced to 50%. A second hit will reduce that to 25%. A third, to 12.5%. A fourth to 6.25%, and so on. The end result is that your shields can never be depleted, because even when down to 0.390625%, another hit will only reduce them to 0.1953125%. :)

That's easily explained. Hero shields are always reduced by 50% of their then-current total. So, shields at 100% which are hit, are reduced to 50%. A second hit will reduce that to 25%. A third, to 12.5%. A fourth to 6.25%, and so on. The end result is that your shields can never be depleted, because even when down to 0.390625%, another hit will only reduce them to 0.1953125%. :)
True, and funny how there's always no logic to when a beam weapon or torpedo can punch into a hull, regardless of the shield status...

In Star Trek TOS "The Changeling":

SCOTT: Shields still holding, sir.
KIRK: Good.
SPOCK: Temporarily, Captain. Our shields absorbed energy equivalent to ninety of our photon torpedoes.
KIRK: Ninety?
SPOCK: I may add, the energy used repulsing this first attack reduced our shielding power twenty percent.
KIRK: Ready photon torpedo number two, Mister Sulu.
SULU: Ready, sir.
KIRK: Fire.
SULU: Torpedo away. (a pause, then a flash) Direct hit.
SPOCK: No effect. Target absorbed full energy of our torpedo.
KIRK: Absorbed it? There must be damage to your instruments, Spock .
SPOCK: They are in good working order, Captain.
KIRK: But what could have absorbed that much energy and survived?

YOU JUST FINISHED TALKING ABOUT HOW YOUR SHIELDS CAN ABSORB 450 OF THEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The complete lack of situational awareness of people in backgrounds.
A character gets into a fight, now dripping with seat and covered in mud and blood, and walks into, say, a restaurant. Nobody notices this filthy and tinky guy or reacts to the sight or the smell? In real life, wouldn't you do a double take if you saw someone walking down the street who looks like he's had the living crud beat out of him? Wouldn't you especially do so in a setting like a good restaurant? I saw this on TV yesterday and laughed out loud that nobody noticed the guy.

To be fair, this is probably due to bad direction from the 3rd AD on the production, who hasn't given suitable directon to the extras or supporting artists. As an extra myself, who has done this sort of scene, if you're not told to react, then you don't. Otherwise you get the overacting SA who ruins the scene with an over the top reaction.

That also applies to background players in battle sequences when you can clearly see that they aren't doing squat. For example, in Braveheart, I seem to recall there are two extras as the battle at Stirling Bridge is winding down who end up just kind of whacking at each others' swords in a half-hearted manner. It's funny, actually (unintentionally so, of course).

That also applies to background players in battle sequences when you can clearly see that they aren't doing squat. For example, in Braveheart, I seem to recall there are two extras as the battle at Stirling Bridge is winding down who end up just kind of whacking at each others' swords in a half-hearted manner. It's funny, actually (unintentionally so, of course).
Good point. In the movie, "Gettysburg" you can see several Confederate soldiers following Richard Jordan, playing Lew Armistead is he goes through the broken fence short of the Chambergburg Pike. They're all smiling. I am certain none of those men were smiling uin 1863 at a moment like that!

Listening to the commentary on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, one of the things they talk about is how good their background players are, and how they used people throughout the run of the show. Playing a background part is difficult in that you still have to be convincing and take it seriously, but you can't treat it as your "big break" and overact to the point where you draw the audience's attention. I suspect that's a LOT harder to do than many people think, and much of it probably also depends on reading the crowd around you, too. What might seem to you to be a perfectly natural reaction could stand out like a sore thumb if you're the only one doing it.

But at the same time, you still need the background folks to take the scene seriously so that they aren't just, like, farting around and laughing amongst themselves in the midst of some battle sequence or whatever.

How about Young Adult Fiction book series as the basis for movie screenplays.
I honestly can't tell them apart anymore.
Better split the last novel into two movies! You can make more money that way.

The bad guy has the good girl captured. She is fighting against him, fighting against him, fighting against him. All of a sudden she gets and idea how to get away. She does a complete 180 and starts cozying up to him. The bad guy does not get the least bit suspicious.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back