Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I hate when a comedy has to have so much sexual jokes that they just WAY over do it. Or even excessive cursing just to do it. Plenty kids movies show things can be funny without always having to have it so much.

I hate when a comedy has to have so much sexual jokes that they just WAY over do it. Or even excessive cursing just to do it. Plenty kids movies show things can be funny without always having to have it so much.
I agree. Superbad was a good example. People (and especially awkward young people) don't talk about their masturbation practices in real life.

I'm far from a prude, but a lot of the time they are reaching way too far on this stuff

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree. Superbad was a good example. People (and especially awkward young people) don't talk about their masturbation practices in real life.

I'm far from a prude, but a lot of the time they are reaching way too far on this stuff

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yeah. And some movies are really funny and good and they ruin a whole scene with something like that. Maybe a quick part if done right is not so bad, but a movie like American Pie....not for me. Although I've seen parts here and there and some was funny, but I just don't care to sit through it all.

Some of it comes from lazying writing, but a lot of it comes from producers/studios trying to up-rate movies that are basically not very adult. Pile a dozen cusswords into a movie and you've got a PG-13 or R rating no matter how childish/immature the tone of it really is. They are trying to sell movies to middle-school kids and they fear they will lose sales if it looks too inoffensive.

We might have some cleaner movies if the studios were allowed to deliver a PG movie and optionally choose to take a PG-13 rating anyway.

Working at a theater for 8 years back in the day, so many PG-13 movies would have a lot of young teens in them, but then because they weren't really there to see the movie and more to just hang out with friends, we would so many times have complaints from other people trying to watch it that we would kick out the group of kids. Friday and Saturday nights we would have a cop walking around for about 6 hours. The couple guys that would work different weekends were pretty cool. My theater had 22 screens and we once had so many ruckus' in different theaters, that the cop that night was going back and forth all night. He looked at me and was like, man these kids are really making me work tonight.
So in a way, it was nicer when a movie was rated R, but at the expense of them being more raunchy, if that type of movie.

Great point. I don't mind comedy going over the top if it naturally goes there, but over the top just for the sake of it? Count me out. That's why I never thought, "Something about Mary" was even remotely funny.

William McKinley High School.

Seriously, could this guy walk on water or something? It seems every high school in U.S TV and movies is named after him.

Wonder Years, Glee, Bad Moms, Freaks and geeks, one of the Final Destinations I'm sure I've noticed it in other movies too.

William McKinley High School.

Seriously, could this guy walk on water or something? It seems every high school in U.S TV and movies is named after him.

Wonder Years, Glee, Bad Moms, Freaks and geeks, one of the Final Destinations I'm sure I've noticed it in other movies too.

How funny is that... I went to McKinley Elementary! :)

How about movies filming somewhere completely opposite of where the movie is supposed to take place? They filmed The Accountant in Georgia, but it is supposed to be in Plainfield, Illinois. Every road he drives on in the movie is sloped and/or on a hill. His house is even at the top of a hill and you can see the city skyline.

The problem is....there isn't the slightest bump that could even be considered a "hill" anywhere in Plainfield, Illinois. It's pancake flat! And it's too far from the city to be able to see the skyline.

How about movies filming somewhere completely opposite of where the movie is supposed to take place? They filmed The Accountant in Georgia, but it is supposed to be in Plainfield, Illinois. Every road he drives on in the movie is sloped and/or on a hill. His house is even at the top of a hill and you can see the city skyline.

The problem is....there isn't the slightest bump that could even be considered a "hill" anywhere in Plainfield, Illinois. It's pancake flat! And it's too far from the city to be able to see the skyline.
Can't stand that. My Dad watches Chicago PD, and they're ALWAYS mixing up the roads. Anybody who's ever been to Chicago can recognize the difference between State and Wacker. The other week, I was watching "The Boss" with Melissa McCarthy (dumb movie, but it was kinda funny), and I was actually proud that the movie filmed in places it was supposed to be. Apartment in Wrigleyville? Yep, there's "Wrigleyville Burritos" right there. I hate when a movie or TV show takes unnecessary short cuts, because anybody with Google in the pocket (which is most people, these days) can figure it out.

P.S. I live in New Lenox, BTW! Glad to find somebody who's not 300 miles away from me! :)

The thing about the wrong shooting locations is that productions (TV & movie) shoot where it's cheapest for them to do so, no matter where it's supposed to be. LA sometimes stands in for New York, Vancouver is a lot of places, and Georgia is a popular spot now, it's nothing new. I'm sure that every production would love to shoot where it's set in but it's not always possible and they aren't going to break the bank or, in some cases, risk their lives just to be able to film where the script says they're supposed to be.

Having said that, when they do use substitute locations they should be more careful about what they show. For instance, Castle, which is set in New York but filmed in LA was always careful to keep their location shots framed pretty tightly so that you could never see much beyond a few buildings and the street although some locales were a little too iconic to LA and easily recognizable to those of us living in SoCal.

P.S. I live in New Lenox, BTW! Glad to find somebody who's not 300 miles away from me! :)

Nice! Not far away at all!

- - - Updated - - -

The thing about the wrong shooting locations is that productions (TV & movie) shoot where it's cheapest for them to do so, no matter where it's supposed to be. LA sometimes stands in for New York, Vancouver is a lot of places, and Georgia is a popular spot now, it's nothing new. I'm sure that every production would love to shoot where it's set in but it's not always possible and they aren't going to break the bank or, in some cases, risk their lives just to be able to film where the script says they're supposed to be.

Having said that, when they do use substitute locations they should be more careful about what they show. For instance, Castle, which is set in New York but filmed in LA was always careful to keep their location shots framed pretty tightly so that you could never see much beyond a few buildings and the street although some locales were a little too iconic to LA and easily recognizable to those of us living in SoCal.

You are very right. Same reason they didn't film The Dark Knight Rises in Chicago when they did the first two. Illinois and tax incentives don't belong in the same sentence. :lol But they didn't even make an attempt to make it look like Illinois in The Accountant. The only thing that really resembled it was when he was on those nice folks' farm. That looks a lot like just west of me.

You are very right. Same reason they didn't film The Dark Knight Rises in Chicago when they did the first two. Illinois and tax incentives don't belong in the same sentence. :lol But they didn't even make an attempt to make it look like Illinois in The Accountant. The only thing that really resembled it was when he was on those nice folks' farm. That looks a lot like just west of me.
Hadn't heard this. I thought the reason Nolan didn't come back was because he wanted a "spiffier" Gotham, and the good old sodium vapor lights that give off the orange glow didn't do that for him.

It's even worse when it is just stock footage to establish location. I am pretty sure it was in this thread that I talked about the movie Identity Thief. Melissa's character is in Winter Park, Florida, and to establish that they show the beach and then some art deco-ish buildings. Too bad Winter Park is in the middle of the state and about the only way to tell you have crossed over from Orlando would be a street sign telling you so.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

"Criminal Minds" had an episode last year where a child was kidnapped in Potomac Mills mall in Virginia, which just happens to be about two miles from me. The mall they filmed in had multiple levels with escalators and elevators, marble floors and an arcade. The real Potomac Mills is one level, has hard wood floors and in over 30 years has never had an arcade, but it did once have an Elvis museum.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back