The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

just ordered myself one :) but it's too bad it can't ship quick enough to be here by halloween!

well i was completely wrong about their shipping speed!! it arrived today by fedex. total including shipping was about $17. heres a comparison.

2014-10-24 11.22.35.jpg

it is extremely light and the blade has some flex. fits snug into a cold steel gi tanto sheath but does not slide back out easily.

well i was completely wrong about their shipping speed!! it arrived today by fedex. total including shipping was about $17. heres a comparison.

View attachment 393871

it is extremely light and the blade has some flex. fits snug into a cold steel gi tanto sheath but does not slide back out easily.

looks great. out of curiosity, how does the weight compare between the two?

i put both on a cheap food scale a few times, and the replica weighed in at about 50 grams max, while the real one registered a minimum of 200.

Sorry, I meant balance rather than weight. I'd love to learn some of the knife tricks that he pulled in the movie and was wondering if it was possible with the resin version. How do they feel?

Sorry, I meant balance rather than weight. I'd love to learn some of the knife tricks that he pulled in the movie and was wondering if it was possible with the resin version. How do they feel?

no the resin one would not be good for practice at all, it feels like a toy. definitely only good for appearance. i am also looking for a decent training knife replica and cannot find one. i bought a rubber one off ebay, even that one is too light because it was designed to learn how to defend yourself from a knife rather than how to perform tricks with one. at this point i feel like i would have to build one myself to get a matching weight/balance.

last night's pre- and post- halloween party pics of me as werewolf bucky. my plastic rifle and foam skorpion were both casualties of the nights shenanigans, fortunately not valued at over $20. first time using my brand new harness and utility belt combo commissioned from samurai169, %100 worth the investment. i still gotta get some grenades and knife replicas. the large extra pouch on the front is my phone, because my pants pockets where inaccessible. got tons of compliments and photos, it was a good time. event was Guavaween in Ybor City.

PART_1414298915571_20141025_171431-1.jpgPART_1414298730186_20141025_231348-1.jpg

edit: found some better pics

10725134_973334656016449_1017548442_n.jpg10727292_332578376913624_820415115_n.jpg

Last edited:
no the resin one would not be good for practice at all, it feels like a toy. definitely only good for appearance. i am also looking for a decent training knife replica and cannot find one. i bought a rubber one off ebay, even that one is too light because it was designed to learn how to defend yourself from a knife rather than how to perform tricks with one. at this point i feel like i would have to build one myself to get a matching weight/balance.

cool. thanks for the info!

If anyone has commissioned any Winter Soldier or other pieces from RPF member Samurai169 and has NOT received what you paid for, please contact me directly. Thank you.

if anybody is making screen accurate kneepads (preferably functional ones, i. e. can actually kneel with them) i am very much in the market for a pair

Hi, everyone! I'm glad to see this thread is still somewhat active. Let me just say that you've all been an immense help! I've started on a new project and have made it incredibly far in only one day thanks to you all. I'm going to be doing a Black Widow version of the Winter Soldier - many similarities, except a different face mask, the red hair, and the hourglass instead of the Soviet star. I'm thinking I'll build the arm and most likely wear a thin silver glove under my normal black fingerless gloves that I use for my Black Widow. I'm still making my way through the thread, but does any other female WS cosplayer have any advice on things to avoid whilst collecting/pieces/building the arm, or advice on how to keep the arm from being too bulky?

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I last posted in this forum. I finished making a Winter Soldier costume for my husband. I made the jacket entirely out of black pleather and I also made the black harness from scratch. I made the entire metal arm out of Worbla (thanks to Kitty Barnes for answering my questions). Everything else was purchased.

You can see some pictures of the Winter Soldier costume here:
http://www.acparadise.com/ace/display.php?c=81132
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.722149754527276.1073741863.279834692092120&type=1

I finished posting up my entire tutorial on how to make the Winter Soldier Metal Arm out of Worbla right here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.723513064390945.1073741864.279834692092120&type=1

It took me 45 hours to sew the jacket and harness together, and it also took me 35 hours to make the metal arm. If anyone has any questions or would like some suggestions, please ask away!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures that I took of my husband as the Winter Soldier.

Attachments

• awinter38.jpg
    awinter38.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 339
  • winter14.jpg
    winter14.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 321
  • capwinter.jpg
    capwinter.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 287
Here's a couple of pics of my Winter Soldier cosplay. The forearm part fell apart a couple of days before the con so i had to make a last min replacement with only a couple of hours to spare each evening as I had started a new job with long shifts. Hence why its not up to the same standard as the rest of the arm. What do you all think? I know its not 100% screen accurate but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out and had a great time! :)

1507194_391586950999503_5329870646471331136_n.jpg WP_20141108_012.jpg WP_20141108_064.jpg

Hi , this thread is great I have read through it and have the mask and goggles built. Thanks for all the great info!
I am working on the jacket/vest. I have some material and wandering if anyone had a good pattern they could post or send.

Thanks

Hi folks - A heads up for those participating in this thread. Samurai169 aka Shane Brennen was fairly active in this thread in the past, having "worked" on a Winter Soldier costume. If looking for a commission, he is NOT the person you want to hire. Details can be found in the following thread. Just trying to spare others the runaround I went through:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/buyer-bewa...talk-no-delivery-229065/?highlight=Samurai169

This is the kind of project I won't be able to do anytime soon, but it would be good to know even then. Would anyone be able to identify the types of fabric used for the jacket in the car chase scene? I barely know anything about fabric, but I suspect at least the "shiny" part must be leather?

Attachments

• Jacket1.jpg
    Jacket1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Jacket2.jpg
    Jacket2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 335

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back