The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

1404612049153_IMG_20140705_215725_577.jpg1404612093983_IMG_20140705_100024_303.jpg1404612056132_IMG_20140705_215704_438.jpg1404612070703_IMG_20140705_215644_636.jpgFirst attemp at the arm.I dont like it it look like the tinman's arm.She likes it but im going tomake snake eyes style armor for right now.if i get time i think ill try what you did it look so much better. Not much on detail but she is rushing me @ mouths left and i have a few more costume to make for people.

Last edited:
The gun on the back it just a kids gun that i just have to spawpaint black for $5 at the toys store.Right now i have a strap holding it up but i'm going to try magnet strip.Your costume look real cool.Im working on one for a female friend.I dont have the skills like you and very little time to have it done so i m rushing.But heres a few pic .View attachment 346464View attachment 346465

i reaLLY like that back strap. what is it made out of?

1404634314344_IMG_20140615_141700_426.jpgHeres the pic i use for detail .its just a foam sheet cut and clued and painted over with 2 cans of black plastic dip.$13 to mak just the back plate.

Attachments

• cap-winter-soldier-13.jpg
    cap-winter-soldier-13.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 997
Last edited:
A friend tolde me about magna-arm .These will work better then the magnets i was useing now i can order better weapons from airsoft .Their $19 for one and holde up to 15lb. www.Magna-Arm.com

Attachments

• Magna-Arm-andRetailSmall.jpg
    Magna-Arm-andRetailSmall.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Anyone any good with 3D modeling? I have a friend with a printer, and we've been discussing printing a copy of Gerber Yari II Tanto's, but those are way beyond my skill level.

Anyone any good with 3D modeling? I have a friend with a printer, and we've been discussing printing a copy of Gerber Yari II Tanto's, but those are way beyond my skill level.

I'm considering buying the real ones and letting someone way more talented than me mold them. I have a little fandom knife collection started and think these would be a nice edition. Would they be ruined/damaged in a typical molding process. Or is this a waste of time because 3D printing is better?

I'm considering buying the real ones and letting someone way more talented than me mold them. I have a little fandom knife collection started and think these would be a nice edition. Would they be ruined/damaged in a typical molding process. Or is this a waste of time because 3D printing is better?

Molding the real knife would be way better than getting them 3D printed. There is a lot of work that goes into finishing a 3D printed object. I would make mold of the knives for you if you need someone to do that. Take a look at my Wolverine Claws. The molding process won't damage the knives so I can send you the real knives and a few casts of them after I make the molds. Let me know if you are interested.

i would be interested. i am looking for convention-safe versions of all four of his knives and their respective sheaths as well.

Yeah, I'm still in need of the Tantos (my first priority), and the Benchmade. I was actually wondering if it wouldn't be easier to cast them in the sheaths. He never touches any of them other than the MK II anyway, and I know at least for cons it would simplify security crap a lot (we're already like their worst nightmares).

I have almost perfected the casting process and they look nice I am trying to figure out how to cast the Yari II sheath so that will take sometime and I also have school so theres that but I would love to sell my castings my sister and I are going to run another set and hopefully the will be close to perfect. I will also be sanding the edges down a bit so they are more convention-safe so hopefully this will work. When the castings are ready I will post the link to them here so yeah.

I have almost perfected the casting process and they look nice I am trying to figure out how to cast the Yari II sheath so that will take sometime and I also have school so theres that but I would love to sell my castings my sister and I are going to run another set and hopefully the will be close to perfect. I will also be sanding the edges down a bit so they are more convention-safe so hopefully this will work. When the castings are ready I will post the link to them here so yeah.

I'm going to say again, I think the easiest way might be to cast it with the knife in the sheath. Static isn't as fun, but it's a hell of a lot easier.

I'm going to say again, I think the easiest way might be to cast it with the knife in the sheath. Static isn't as fun, but it's a hell of a lot easier.

Working on getting the tanto in the sheath 3D modeled and uploaded to shapeways. I'm not dealing with the Standford experiment 'security' at DragonCon any more than I have to.

The benchmade is actually the easiest to cast in the sheath. It has a flat back which can go on the bottom of the mold box. Just put modelling clay under the belt clip and fill in the couple small holes with clay and it makes an excellent copy. With the casting being one piece, I don't see how anyone could deny it being safe for conventions.
Any input? 2014_0609ella0005.JPG

Okay so I finished molding the Yari Tanto with sheath and I will mold one tomorrow.
As reviews go I thought this would be helpful i bought Bucky's belt buckle from cosplay sky, I bought it directly from them it might be on ebay (I could be wrong) but it was $20 dollars. So basically it is extremely well made and looks exactly like the picture, it is a bit darker thought. I would say its a good buy. If you have 20 extra dollars and would like a really nice belt buckle I would recommend this. And here a picture against white pants and a black belt just for comparison, It is a bit darker than shown because my light were kinda bright but other than that it perfect.unnamed.jpg

This is what I did:
I used a 2 inch wide belt (Amazon)with Velcro on the inside. (Couldn’t find one to match the material of WS belt.) Makes adjustment easy and allows me to put a couple pieces of hook side of Velcro on the pants or jacket to keep the belt up if I don’t use modified belt loops.
I molded and cast the Yari knives as per Edge’s post , then machined an aluminum block to hold them, handles on opposite sides, and screwed it to the back center of the belt.
The grenade rounds are from a mold of a real 40mm training grenade. Mine are different enough from real to be apparent on close inspection. They are held by a piece of nylon belt formed in a cylinder and riveted to the belt.
Pouches are a resin casts of an original that I made from ren board ( a resin prototyping material) and screwed from behind through the belt. Haven’t done the buttons for them yet. And they are all the same, not a left and right as in the movie. (I don’t want to use anymore ren board than I have to).
Buckle is a compromise. I machined the part that has the angled strap for holster but kept the latching mechanism. Machining a whole buckle screen accurate would have been a chore.
Holster hangs from the belt. I added a clip at the holster to belt buckle strap so I could get it on and off easily.
Compromised on the belt material, buckle, holster strap, and one type pouch.
Any input?2014_0609ella0010.JPG

Looks fantastic! I'd love to see more of your holster, that's what I'm stuck on right now. How to mount both guns and both knives in...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back