The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

Haha, good question. Is there an option for something more accurate than the Shadowfoil?

I'm not an expert at the details of each, so I'm not sure I'd be able to tell what's accurate or not. I'm still learning about the differences between the versions of the ROTJ hilt, but at the end of the day, I think I'd rather have something that's accurate at the expense of "play features" than the other way around.

I own one of Spirit of ob1's hilts that has the crystal chamber, which as I understand is based on the Shared Stunt hilt, but as I continue to explore the hobby, I realize what I really want is the Hero/Cave build.

There’s the KR Sabers / One Replicas Eco Hero which dimensionally speaking, it is much more accurate. It also has an anodized "Antique Gold" neck which is correct compared to the raw copper of the Shadowfoil VeeOne. But it doesn't have a reveal board, and the Goth "crystal" chassis is as much of a looker in terms of what you are looking for

I've compared the "best" Luke Heroes in this video - if you are interested in more info about the differences

There’s the KR Sabers / One Replicas Eco Hero which dimensionally speaking, it is much more accurate. It also has an anodized "Antique Gold" neck which is correct compared to the raw copper of the Shadowfoil VeeOne. But it doesn't have a reveal board, and the Goth "crystal" chassis is as much of a looker in terms of what you are looking for

I've compared the "best" Luke Heroes in this video - if you are interested in more info about the differences

Thanks for that video, it does a great job of explaining the differences. I watched your new 'trinity' comparison as well. Unfortunately, I think it just cemented my opinion that the 7Chambers MOM of all Heroes is the one I want. :D Having the options of the screen-accurate and idealized parts seems like the best solution for what I'm looking for. I guess I just need to be patient and hope they get their shop in order.

Thanks for that video, it does a great job of explaining the differences. I watched your new 'trinity' comparison as well. Unfortunately, I think it just cemented my opinion that the 7Chambers MOM of all Heroes is the one I want. :D Having the options of the screen-accurate and idealized parts seems like the best solution for what I'm looking for. I guess I just need to be patient and hope they get their shop in order.
Per their latest update, Phoenix Props will be the one of the ones handling shipping and fulfillment so you should have no worries there when it happens

Okay jerkfaces... it's happening. Don't expect it soon as I am on two different movies right now, but my weekends are now going into updating this ding dang guide!
Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

Just to keep me accountable... I'm going to give updates along the way... to that, I've started to dig in. I've worked out the key design elements-- size, type styles, how entry pages will work, etc. This is the largest update I've done in terms of both content AND design. A LOT of stuff has come out since the last edition. Here's the biggest thoughts/changes/ideas for this version:

1. INTERACTIVITY. A page or so back, you'll see I was talking about turning this into a website and to use tags to make for a better user experience. I wanted to give the ability to choose a path-- do you want to follow one physical prop through the years? Or one narrative prop? Or all the sabers used by one character? Here's the thing though-- I HATE web design. With my background in print design and motion graphics I find website design to be infuriating. Things never line up the way I want, I can't truly know what every person is going to see, and frankly, my brain does not think in code and I struggle to work with it. I'm a visual person. That said, I am going to do my best to add hyperlinks to this edition. Links that let you bounce from the table of contents to pages, links between pages for through lines, and links from the book to RPF threads when applicable. If anyone wants to do a website, I am happy to give you all the collected info from the guide.

2. LESS IS MORE. Technically there will the MORE pages because so many new entries are needed, but I have cut a lot of content that in retrospect, I put in to fill spaces and make the book larger. I no longer need filler. We don't need my polemic on rivets vs screws, we don't need all the amazing blueprints by roygilsing because he is awesome and hosts the guide right in the same section of wannawanga as the blueprints. I never intended the book to be an exacting build guide, just a reference to current known information. Doing a little LESS is also going to help me where I have been stuck in terms of some information still being debated/researched or knowledge that is accepted, but can't be shown because of NDAs. When something is in contention, I will be more general, and again, have links that fly to RPF threads.

3. REDESIGN. Once again I am changing the size. This time I am showing for something close to 16 x 9 as most all monitors are roughly these dimensions now. I want to fill screens with less scrolling. Also, given that this has never been meant for print, I am going to pack a little more type onto pages knowing every can zoom and PDFs will stay sharp, Of course that means scrolling, but I am picking my battles here. Enough people hated the "dark mode" of the last version with white text on black background, so I'm going back to black text.

4. ARRANGEMENT. This is the big one. I am changing the order in which the entries are listed. Given that the book started with just covering the OT sabers, it made sense to do it by character. The novelty of this is whole crazy hobby is that in the OT, there are only FOUR lightsabers. And yet, those four narrative lightsabers are played onscreen by several dozen individual props. As the book grew, the break down of things was beholden to that, but also slipped out of it on several occasion because not everything fit into that style. Starting with this version, lightsaber entries will now be presented by PRODUCTION, in the order they were chronologically released. Within an individual production, entries will still be by character. (see snapshot of the table of contents below) This will also make it a lot easier for future me to add new entries as they come out, without having to go back and shoehorn them into a pre-existing section.

And just to get everyone worked up-- here's a few sample pages...
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 2.38.15 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 2.38.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 2.38.48 PM.png

Just to keep me accountable... I'm going to give updates along the way... to that, I've started to dig in. I've worked out the key design elements-- size, type styles, how entry pages will work, etc. This is the largest update I've done in terms of both content AND design. A LOT of stuff has come out since the last edition. Here's the biggest thoughts/changes/ideas for this version:

1. INTERACTIVITY. A page or so back, you'll see I was talking about turning this into a website and to use tags to make for a better user experience. I wanted to give the ability to choose a path-- do you want to follow one physical prop through the years? Or one narrative prop? Or all the sabers used by one character? Here's the thing though-- I HATE web design. With my background in print design and motion graphics I find website design to be infuriating. Things never line up the way I want, I can't truly know what every person is going to see, and frankly, my brain does not think in code and I struggle to work with it. I'm a visual person. That said, I am going to do my best to add hyperlinks to this edition. Links that let you bounce from the table of contents to pages, links between pages for through lines, and links from the book to RPF threads when applicable. If anyone wants to do a website, I am happy to give you all the collected info from the guide.

2. LESS IS MORE. Technically there will the MORE pages because so many new entries are needed, but I have cut a lot of content that in retrospect, I put in to fill spaces and make the book larger. I no longer need filler. We don't need my polemic on rivets vs screws, we don't need all the amazing blueprints by roygilsing because he is awesome and hosts the guide right in the same section of wannawanga as the blueprints. I never intended the book to be an exacting build guide, just a reference to current known information. Doing a little LESS is also going to help me where I have been stuck in terms of some information still being debated/researched or knowledge that is accepted, but can't be shown because of NDAs. When something is in contention, I will be more general, and again, have links that fly to RPF threads.

3. REDESIGN. Once again I am changing the size. This time I am showing for something close to 16 x 9 as most all monitors are roughly these dimensions now. I want to fill screens with less scrolling. Also, given that this has never been meant for print, I am going to pack a little more type onto pages knowing every can zoom and PDFs will stay sharp, Of course that means scrolling, but I am picking my battles here. Enough people hated the "dark mode" of the last version with white text on black background, so I'm going back to black text.

4. ARRANGEMENT. This is the big one. I am changing the order in which the entries are listed. Given that the book started with just covering the OT sabers, it made sense to do it by character. The novelty of this is whole crazy hobby is that in the OT, there are only FOUR lightsabers. And yet, those four narrative lightsabers are played onscreen by several dozen individual props. As the book grew, the break down of things was beholden to that, but also slipped out of it on several occasion because not everything fit into that style. Starting with this version, lightsaber entries will now be presented by PRODUCTION, in the order they were chronologically released. Within an individual production, entries will still be by character. (see snapshot of the table of contents below) This will also make it a lot easier for future me to add new entries as they come out, without having to go back and shoehorn them into a pre-existing section.

View attachment 1783036View attachment 1783037View attachment 1783038
This is so exciting! I was looking at the Table of Contents and had a few questions, even though I know it’s merely a Teaser and subject to change. These stood out to me primarily cause I’m biased and like these sabers but -

For the Luke Skywalker Hero (ISYHCANL) - It’s Interesting that instead of V1, you chose to go with the ISYHCANL name since that usually refers to the Pre-Cave Scene state of the prop.

And then for the Ahsoka Sabers, I don’t see Anakin’s Belt Hanger/Stunt being mentioned. I know it’s technically the same “look” of the ROTS Hero but like Mando/BoBF’s Luke Props, I think it should be recognized as a different prop (Because it really is). Just curious if there’s plans to change that

…typo on the index page. Everything from page 66-on should be under the “apocryphal lightsabers” heading.

*cough*

But, seriously, great work. A few typos and things to sort out (it should be “Expanded Universe” instead of “Extended”), but this much-needed updated is very exciting to see.

This is so exciting! I was looking at the Table of Contents and had a few questions, even though I know it’s merely a Teaser and subject to change. These stood out to me primarily cause I’m biased and like these sabers but -

For the Luke Skywalker Hero (ISYHCANL) - It’s Interesting that instead of V1, you chose to go with the ISYHCANL name since that usually refers to the Pre-Cave Scene state of the prop.

And then for the Ahsoka Sabers, I don’t see Anakin’s Belt Hanger/Stunt being mentioned. I know it’s technically the same “look” of the ROTS Hero but like Mando/BoBF’s Luke Props, I think it should be recognized as a different prop (Because it really is). Just curious if there’s plans to change that
No one has ever called the V1 really, it’s always been called the hero. The entry will likely be as it is now where it’s for both the ISYHCANL and the cave build since it’s just the box that changes. But this is a good example of the dilemma I have— technically it’s also the Yuma and it’s just different states— do I do an entry for each state? I initially kept Yuma separate cause it’s a stunt saber in that form. It’s tricky!

As for Anakin’s Ahsoka saber— I straight up forgot! Thank you!

No one has ever called the V1 really, it’s always been called the hero. The entry will likely be as it is now where it’s for both the ISYHCANL and the cave build since it’s just the box that changes. But this is a good example of the dilemma I have— technically it’s also the Yuma and it’s just different states— do I do an entry for each state? I initially kept Yuma separate cause it’s a stunt saber in that form. It’s tricky!

As for Anakin’s Ahsoka saber— I straight up forgot! Thank you!

It depends on how rigorously you would want to adhere to the production timeline. For example, does the Kenobi stunt which became the V2 all go on one page? Or is each iteration separate enough—since they appear in separate films—to get their own entries?

In the case of the Yuma, I’d suggest having a brief notation for the Yuma stunt on the main ROTJ stunt page (“See page xx for details”) and how it got bumped up to hero status. Then have a smooth, chronological flow of that prop from Yuma stunt to ISYHCANL to cave-build V1 within the same span of pages.

View attachment 1783036View attachment 1783037View attachment 1783038
Excellent plan, SethS! I'd like to point out that the two pairs of handle rivets at the ANH Graflex base seem like they may all be 3mm and not 2 pairs of 3mm and two pairs of 2.4mm. It's really hard to be certain, but I think the evidence may lean toward there being four 3mm handle rivets.

Also, don't your B&W promo photos and the Mos Eisley overlook photo with Ben and Luke prove they are one-and-the same prop thanks to the presence of the handle rivets in both images? I ask because you stated it's not known whether the promo and screen-used props are the same.

I really like the plan to provide links to info located in different places in the new guide and on the RPF, really nice touch! I also have an interest in graphic design and I have to say these teaser samples are looking grand! Good idea to move to a 16:9 format.

EDIT: It seems there may not be enough conclusive evidence to prove the accurate sizes of the handle rivets, so perhaps just say what you have there but omit the sizes for now. :)

Last edited:
Wow Seth! Amazing news on the update! I love all your suggestions and I'm so happy you've restarted this daunting task! Congratulations!
Let me know how I can help you in any way. And I would be happy to continue to host your guide on WannaWanga.com
Maybe we can think of ways to reach a larger audience? It totally deserves it. Let me think about that.
Of course I'm totally devastated (NOT!) that you omit my drawings!
Just joking. I agree that a link to the right drawing might even work better anyway. And now I'm thinking I might have to expand the amount of drawings and perhaps even change style after all those years.
I will think about that too!

Roy

Last edited:
Excellent plan, SethS! I'd like to point out that the two pairs of handle rivets at the ANH Graflex base seem like they may all be 3mm and not 2 pairs of 3mm and two pairs of 2.4mm. It's really hard to be certain, but I think the evidence may lean toward there being four 3mm handle rivets.

Also, don't your B&W promo photos and the Mos Eisley overlook photo with Ben and Luke prove they are one-and-the same prop thanks to the presence of the handle rivets in both images? I ask because you stated it's not known whether the promo and screen-used props are the same.

I really like the plan to provide links to info located in different places in the new guide and on the RPF, really nice touch! I also have an interest in graphic design and I have to say these teaser samples are looking grand! Good idea to move to a 16:9 format.

EDIT: It seems there may not be enough conclusive evidence to prove the accurate sizes of the handle rivets, so perhaps just say what you have there but omit the sizes for now. :)
The rivet sizes are the perfect example of less is more. If I just say “small rivets” I’ll never be wrong! And yes, I can change that line, this is still the older copy being used for blocking things out. Still editing!
Wow Seth! Amazing news on the update! I love all your suggestions and I'm so happy you've restarted this daunting task! Congratulations!
Let me know how I can help you in any way. And I would be happy to continue to host your guide on WannaWanga.com
Maybe we can think of ways to reach a larger audience? It totally deserves it. Let me think about that.
Of course I'm totally devastated (NOT!) that you emit my drawings!
Just joking. I agree that a link to the right drawing might even work better anyway. And now I'm thinking I might have to expand the amount of drawings and perhaps even change style after all those years.
I will think about that too!

Roy
I still used them on the cover! And you know I’ll be emailing you nonstop during the process :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back