The Sci-fi Spacesuit Discussion Thread

Shocked that no one has mentioned the ultimate “Space Man Suit”…

The Ralph Crandon “Man From Space”…

E1154621-EB81-4457-A289-7A9E868EB683.jpeg

Extreme environments? Yup. This suit always reminded me of something but I just couldn’t put my finger on it until right now. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but like Adam my response to extreme is often “silly-outrageous.“ :p

3D4D6540-C363-49E3-9476-E2D77B8D1066.jpeg

This is not sci-fi but NASA just revealed the new Space Suit designed for the Artemis Moon mission.

View attachment 1679890

TazMan2000

The black material is a slip cover…the final suits will be white to protect them against lunar heat.

But the prototype shown Wednesday was not exactly what will be going to the moon. For one, the actual suits will be white instead of dark, reflecting heat from sunlight instead of absorbing it.

In addition, the current outer covering keeps the inner portions from being scuffed or damaged during ground testing. For the moon, the suit will have an outer insulation layer to protect the astronaut from extreme temperatures, radiation and dust.”

Last edited:
At first, I wanted to blame the perspective or the angle of the image, but it's not that. Something looks off, but there must be a purpose to this design direction, right? Is the central chest-flap a protective cover for access to hardware? Likely. In fact, all the flapped layers are likely intended to shield or radiate heat away from the astronaut. Personally, the design stripes are not my cup of tea, nor are they pleasing to my eye, but that's just my opinion. Maybe they will grow on me later. The lines seem off somehow, but this design is surely dynamic at this point. I went to high school in Vail and oh baby I would have slayed the slopes in this hot mess! :cool: haha

I'm pretty sure this is a PR directed prototype, and the final mission version will be considerably different (aside from the color). For example, there are no suit controls visible. While there has been tests with head up displays, you still need some type of positive switching device for suit controls. This would most likely be in the form of a chest mounted control box. This is a rear entry suit, so it does not need any type of waist disconnect. The small square piece at the right armpit (left side of picture) looks like a receiver for pin mounted accessories, (tools or mini-work station) the second one under the other arm has something mounted in it in this photo. The EMU has 2 of these near the waist.

So far, information on the suit's capabilities is resoundingly positive. I'm excited to see how this develops.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the board. I’ve really missed everyone. My family had some issues going on in our lives that for weeks drained our energy, thoughts, and most of our joy. Tonight seemed like a good time to get back up and do something fun just for me. So here I am. So happy to see that this thread is still going strong.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back