The Sci-fi Spacesuit Discussion Thread

I've been enjoying this thread (and others) as I work on my first original design for a space suit costume.

Shameless plug, if you want a fun place to actually WEAR your spacesuit when it's complete, I strongly recommend our costumes-required cyberpunk festival:
www.neotropolis.com
We had a bunch of good space suits out there last year and we're expecting more of them this April. It's out in the desert and gets cool enough at night to wear space suits (and other bulky costumes) without the heat stroke you risk at indoor cons.

In fact, I'm talking to one of the many (free) bars at the event about having a happy hour that is JUST for the folks in space suits. Something like:
ZERO-G BAR
"Get Lifted"
"space jockeys drink free during sunspots"

Alan Sheppard testing out prototype space suit?

Alan Sheppard.jpg

TazMan2000

Three Halloweens ago I and some friends did a group costume, more on the aesthetic of lounge space age than a genuine attempt at convincing spacesuits. This is a paint bucket, visor knobs were condiment container caps, snoopy cap is a lightly modified water polo helmet. The jumpsuit was constructed of silver bubble wrap with some gray webbing. It might not look like much, but altogether it was enough to make us finalists in the USS Hornet Halloween contest. (we lost to a couple in Halloween Store Beatlejuice costumes)

I'm more interested in the colorful 1960's interpretations, and plan to make a helmet of my own design that homages that era of science fiction. This thread has been an inspiration, I plan to devote some time here.

SDC16915.JPG

Alan Sheppard testing out prototype space suit?

View attachment 1670089

TazMan2000
Those rubber convolutes are very close, if not nearly identical, to the rubber joints that ended up on elbows and knees, of the final Apollo suits.

Today Tested has up a clip of the spacesuits from Life.
For anyone who didn't catch Tested's correction in the description/comments, FBFX made the EVA helmet and electronics, but the rest of the EVA suit as well as the entirety of the Sokol-inspired IVA were made by Robert Allsopp & Associates (with many of the hard parts such as the RCU specifically designed and assembled by sculptor Stuart Curran).

I never saw Life, but both suits look very believable to me.

The thing that has always bugged me about the Star Trek suits is....they are suits. This is a civilization that has learned to manipulate gravity and can generate force fields reliably. Why do they need material helmets at all? Why not a force field? (Ditto, by the way, most of the instrumentation visible throughout the ship. An iPhone has a touch screen and it's only 2023.
My guess is that back in 1966, they wouldn't have had the visual effects technology required for that (force field protection, that is). Additionally, looking at it from a storytelling standpoint, someone wearing a spacesuit immediately tells the audience what is going on. That's my guess, at leat.

Or maybe Starfleet does use force fields; they're just hidden beneath what look like spacesuits but are actually impractical fashion carryovers.

Like the 23rd-century version of a gorget or a tophat or a necktie. It's just what you do in polite galactic society.

Those are good shots. I don't have those.
Just quick screenshots from the full film on YouTube. If you ever find any leftovers of those, I'd be very interested.

An underrated comedy to be sure. Do any memories of creating those helmets come to mind?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back