The Sci-fi Spacesuit Discussion Thread

#5 The Wandering Earth (2019)

Best I remember there are three versions – red (civilian), black (military), and white (engineers).
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

--

I absolutely love the environmental suits worn in The Wandering Earth. They are the closest things I’ve seen to a realistic, real-life Wally Wood/Joe Orlando spacesuit. As a kid and into adulthood I’ve always imagined making my own sci-fi suit. This suit is nearly a perfect match to what I’ve seen in my head for all of these years.

I love the design of these suits so much, that when Damtoys made 12 inch versions of the three main military soldiers, I didn’t hesitate to drop the money on a preorder to get them.

Let’s start with the helmet design. There is no doubt who is who, because you can see each person’s face clearly. Sure the clear domes are large (and go back way further than you think that they should), but that makes them unique in my opinion.

I’m normally not an exo-skeleton kind of guy. Something about these on the military suits, though, seem realistic and to make sense. They aren’t huge and bulky, but it’s obvious what they are and what they do. Somewhere I read or hear the piece count to make the exo-skeleton, but I can’t find that number at the moment.

Probably my favorite suit of all is Zhou Qian – the military medic. The amount of medical gear is just enough that you know who she is and what she does.

The backpacks for all the suits hit the sweet spot for me – techy, lots of angles, but not too large. There is some material/cloth on them as well, which is an odd choice, but also seems right in-universe.

Sometimes a design just speaks to you and defies subjective explanation. I think this suit falls in that category. Between this suit and a TV suit that came out around the same time that I will talk about at some point, the bar has been set high in my mind for spacesuits.

I’m not an expert, but I have studied this suit a lot. My hope, of course, was to try to make at least a poor man’s replica. That darn blown bubble helmet is always the very first thing that stops me. For the last four years, I’ve looked at giant Easter Eggs at Walmart to see if they might work. No such luck yet.

I did see that Killerbody is crowdsourcing a replica of this suit for those in Chine. At over $18,000 for a full suit, though, it’s way out of my comfort zone.

While it's not technically sci-fi, this is supposed to be the next generation of space suit circa 2012 with a rear entry hatch.

Does anybody else feel the Buzz Lightyear vibe?
The Next Generation Space Suit.jpg

I still can't get over this suit below. If you fell over, how the heck are you supposed to get up?

1950s.jpg

Whenever I see this, it reminds me of that Shrek scene.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
The helmet is either as real Mercury helmet or a good replica. The liner is different, but that could be a hood he is wearing. The mics look like real ones, but not the same as the Mercury or Mark IV helmet mics I remember. The helmet disconnect is not a real design.

The suit body looks like a high altitude cover layer. In order to get into a suit, the zippers or openings need to allow for the wearer to bend forward, and get the helmet disconnect over the head. This is made difficult because the helmet to crotch cannot be oversized, or when pressurized, the helmet would be pushed up over the head. Mercury and High altitude suits of the time had a series of zippers that allowed you to "un peel" the suit in order to get it on. Apollo and ACES are rear entry, as this makes donning the suit very easy.
not only my favourite sci-fi movie but favourite movie spacesuit ! Love to Mona...

While it's not technically sci-fi, this is supposed to be the next generation of space suit circa 2012 with a rear entry hatch.

Does anybody else feel the Buzz Lightyear vibe?
View attachment 1696088

I still can't get over this suit below. If you fell over, how the heck are you supposed to get up?

View attachment 1696091

Whenever I see this, it reminds me of that Shrek scene.

TazMan2000
major Matt Mason

The Martian - Looks nice, overall look is not distracting, worked for the film.
But, mechanical counter pressure suits (MCP) or "Squeeze suits" have been a dream concept for years. (See Webb Space Activity suit) This idea has been given new inspiration by Dava Newman's Biosuit project. Which by the way, was never a real suit. They never had a working prototype.
The issue with these suits is there are too many physiological side effects / issues to make them a practical idea.
First, fit. They have to be custom made for each wearer, and they do not allow the skin to breath. You also need to apply sufficient pressure to the whole body, or blood will pool in any area not under sufficient pressure. Air pressure suits, apply pressure evenly because air is a fluid, and therefore flows everywhere evenly. An MPC suit needs to apply pressure to "hollow" areas like armpits and palms of the hand. Also, hair follicles originate from a tiny pit in the skin, and these areas cannot be "squeezed" so as a result blood pools in these tiny depressions and get what look like pox. Also, I don't know if any testing has been done for the long term effects of this or tight physical contact with the skin over long periods.
Side note on this film, when the hab blows up, and he patches it with Visqueen and duct tape, I could almost buy it, because of the way he fabricated it. BUT, when the hab gets repressurized, this would be as taunt as a drum head, and would not flap in the Martian wind. Which is another huge issue, the Martian atmosphere is so thin, a hurricane level even, would feel like a strong breeze on earth. So the whole premise of how he gets stranded is bogus. Even the author of the book admitted he really cheated that.
Again, Huge helmet, not very practical. I was in Budapest for some filming, as we supplied the ACES suits, for the return to Mars scene, and I talked with the costume designer. She told me Ridley loves big helmets. (just look at any of his space films) I have no clue why a helmet would need to extend so far above the wearers head. Also, of it's a MPC suit, why would you need a rigid torso? Takes up way too much volume when stored and has little function.

2001 - Love these suits as well . We have built a couple of replicas of these for various projects. (Most recently Gucci's Kubrick project) I had considered building a functional version of the suit. As in fully pressurizable.

Prometheus - Huge goofy helmets and MPC suits. Stupid film.

Moon - Ok design. Nothing special, but looks practical. Helmet needed a sun visor though. You would get a serious sun burn in only a few minutes if exposed to the direct sunlight.

Mission to Mars - Dumb film. Bad physics. Dumb suit design. Hoses going to back of helmet, suit details for the sake of adding detail. Nothing looks functional on these suits, They look to me like costumes. Controls on the suits too small to be used and not in line of sight. (Like tiny switches and indicator lights on the lower back of the PLSS (back pack) Zippers exposed and on the chest like that makes it very difficult to get into the suit, unless the helmet disconnect can be unhooked from the suit.

Tin Tin - Strata suit influence again.

Interstellar - Ok suits. Hoses to back of the helmet impractical. Nice helmet design though. We thought we would be building these suits, but it was decided they would build them in-house with their costume department. They had a number of problems with these suits on set. Spacesuits are not simple to make, even movie ones.

Alien - ehh. They seem more like attack dog training suits to me.

Star Trek - Interesting design. Given the era, and the need to make them seem very futuristic, I like that they don't look like any other spacesuit concept.

Battlestar - Terrible design. Again, details for the sake of details. Helmet looks like it weighs 50 pounds.

Outland - already discussed.

Firefly / Serenity - This is the only one in this group we made. These armoured spacesuits were originally made for the Kurt Russell film, "Soldier". For a quick flashback scene. Built quickly and pretty cheaply.
They were then rented to the TV series with the original helmet, and on a later episode, they wanted a different helmet design. (pictured) The idea of the helmet was the fabric in the back was so the whole front of the helmet could be opened and pivoted back, and the fabric section would collapse. As an example, the Russian Sokol suit uses an all fabric helmet, other than the faceplate. The helmet lights were designed to look "added on" in the style of many of the shows equipment. The chest box is an upside-down Apollo RCU.

Sunshine - Like the design, but I cant say it's all that realistic. There would be better ways to protect an astronaut in this scenario, but the design does a good job for the film.
I know it's a bit late, but I was wondering if there is a reason that it's bad to have a hose at the back of the helmet? I can imagine a few reasons why but i'm curious to get your perspective.

I know it's a bit late, but I was wondering if there is a reason that it's bad to have a hose at the back of the helmet? I can imagine a few reasons why but i'm curious to get your perspective.
Most of the movie suits have a large hose going into the helmet, which is because, virtually all movie suits use some type of fan system mounted in the backpack to push air through the helmet. Essential for CO2 washout. (This keeps the occupant from passing out.) It also helps keep visors from fogging.
But, in a real helmet, the suit is pressurized to at least 4psi, a fan gives more like .07 psi. At 4psi, a large diameter hose is not what you want, as it will get very stiff, keeping the helmet from moving with the head and it will more than likely push the helmet forward, forcing your head down.
A hose like this also presents a significant snagging risk. Something you don't want in a pressure suit.
In addition, unless the hose is small in diameter, and attaches to an umbilical in front of the wearer, how do you connect it? Any helmet with the hose in the back, that goes into a backpack, would need a long enough hose, so you to get the helmet completely up and over your head, because you couldn't reach them to disconnect them first. Same with putting the helmet on. (This is almost as dumb as "Back scabbards" for swords, unless your arm is 36" long, how do you draw the sword?)
No real helmet has large hoses going from the helmet and none with even small hoses going into a backpack.

Most of the movie suits have a large hose going into the helmet, which is because, virtually all movie suits use some type of fan system mounted in the backpack to push air through the helmet. Essential for CO2 washout. (This keeps the occupant from passing out.) It also helps keep visors from fogging.
But, in a real helmet, the suit is pressurized to at least 4psi, a fan gives more like .07 psi. At 4psi, a large diameter hose is not what you want, as it will get very stiff, keeping the helmet from moving with the head and it will more than likely push the helmet forward, forcing your head down.
A hose like this also presents a significant snagging risk. Something you don't want in a pressure suit.
In addition, unless the hose is small in diameter, and attaches to an umbilical in front of the wearer, how do you connect it? Any helmet with the hose in the back, that goes into a backpack, would need a long enough hose, so you to get the helmet completely up and over your head, because you couldn't reach them to disconnect them first. Same with putting the helmet on. (This is almost as dumb as "Back scabbards" for swords, unless your arm is 36" long, how do you draw the sword?)
No real helmet has large hoses going from the helmet and none with even small hoses going into a backpack.
Thanks, this makes total sense! I built a space suit for a convention that happened about a week ago, and one of my add-ons was a cable in the back of the helmet, (a 'nape' cord if you will) to power a set of computer fans. It's one of the decisions I'm regretting with the design as it makes head movement more difficult.
One of the reasons I thought that a cable would be inadvisable is the danger that it would pose in an emergency, such as a fall. If the astronaut fell backwards it'd snap, so on, but the pressure buildup makes way more sense, I never factored it into my suit's design. Thank you so much for your excellent explanation.

I'm sorry to bother you with this, but could you please explain how the visor mechanism on the EMU or A7L worked? The internet is, as usual, bitterly unhelpful when it comes to specific information like this.

The visors on those, are not pressurized, as they mount over the pressure bubble. So they just have washers and bushings at the pivot points.
The Apollo LEVA had a clear bump visor, a gold sun visor, and later missions had a central sun shade, mounted to the outside of the helmet shell. These had finger tabs, and were moved by hand using these front mounted tabs.
In the case of the EMU sun visor and center sun shade, they are deployed using knobs on the side of the helmet shell. These knobs are fixed to shafts that have 2 grooves that engage a toothed washer mounted to the one side of the pivot. I think the right side drives the sun visor, and the left drives the sun shade. The clear bump visor on the EMU is fixed in the down position
Both have pull down side sun shades.

Thanks, this makes total sense! I built a space suit for a convention that happened about a week ago, and one of my add-ons was a cable in the back of the helmet, (a 'nape' cord if you will) to power a set of computer fans. It's one of the decisions I'm regretting with the design as it makes head movement more difficult.
One of the reasons I thought that a cable would be inadvisable is the danger that it would pose in an emergency, such as a fall. If the astronaut fell backwards it'd snap, so on, but the pressure buildup makes way more sense, I never factored it into my suit's design. Thank you so much for your excellent explanation.
That's why it was possible for HAL to easily kill Poole; just pull on his oxygen hose at the side of his helmet;)

That's why it was possible for HAL to easily kill Poole; just pull on his oxygen hose at the side of his helmet;)

Oops...double post:oops::whistle:

The visors on those, are not pressurized, as they mount over the pressure bubble. So they just have washers and bushings at the pivot points.
The Apollo LEVA had a clear bump visor, a gold sun visor, and later missions had a central sun shade, mounted to the outside of the helmet shell. These had finger tabs, and were moved by hand using these front mounted tabs.
In the case of the EMU sun visor and center sun shade, they are deployed using knobs on the side of the helmet shell. These knobs are fixed to shafts that have 2 grooves that engage a toothed washer mounted to the one side of the pivot. I think the right side drives the sun visor, and the left drives the sun shade. The clear bump visor on the EMU is fixed in the down position
Both have pull down side sun shades.
Oh ok, that makes sense. To be honest I think I'll probably stick to those manual tabs for my suit, rather than attempting to replicate the EMU system. Thank you!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back