The Quest For Galaxy Quest Uniform Patterns

MaskMaker

:confused Does ANYONE know if there is such an animal? I've hit the web and found nothing. Even www.questarian.com has nothing. My wife can fake it, but thought I'd look/ask around first. Pegasus Hobbies is putting out kits of the Protector, Nebulizer and Vox and this has me now craving a uniform.

I don't know of any. I have fabric for mine (and two friends); it's been on the "to do" list for about ten years now. Your wife will probably have to fake it, and she'll probably do a better job than if you did find somebody else's pattern. After all, she'd fit it right to you, right?

True enough...! She can sew anything, frankly, as well as draft patterns. I just try not to dump too much on her at once.

I have been going over the movie (yes freeze-frame) and some other pictures I have found here and there; and have been studying the seams to try and eyeball a pattern.

Well let's see... first you have the old uniforms from the Eighties TOS TV series

gqtostaggart.jpg

tawnylazarustos.jpg

Lazarus' TOS uniform with round zipper pull
lazarustoszipper.jpg

... you have the more refined uniforms that the "actors" wear in the "modern day real world" ("Taggart" is apparently given a uniform by the Thermians, but the rest of the actors wear their costumes for public appearances on Earth? Not sure if the Thermians give the rest of the actors uniforms)

Taggart uniform with triangular zipper pull
herocostume.jpg

gqcast.jpg

And then we have the Thermians themselves, whose uniforms seem to be made of vinyl or something like that

thermians.jpg

Last edited:
Well let's see... first you have the old uniforms from the Eighties TOS TV series

... you have the more refined uniforms that the "actors" wear in the "modern day real world" ("Taggart" is apparently given a uniform by the Thermians, but the rest of the actors wear their costumes for public appearances on Earth? Not sure if the Thermians give the rest of the actors uniforms)

And then we have the Thermians themselves, whose uniforms seem to be made of vinyl or something like that

If you look close there is a difference between the 2 triangle zipper ones as well. The one he has at the convention, and the one he has on board the Protector. The convention has a wrap around neck-band, but the one on the protector is open.
The uniforms worn by Gwen, Alex, and Tommy are the same.

Last edited:
Also you have the New T.V. Show Uniforms; Which for simplicity, my first attempt will be the new commanders uniform.

Has anyone got good screen grabs of Gwen's costume? I guess the one on the ship during their new adventures would be the one most easily seen through out most of the movie. Thanks!

Bumping this thread as I'm also interested in finding this. A buddy of mine is doing a Trek themed Halloween party this year and I would to see my wife and do this (She can pull off Gwen extremely well!) Has anyone found anything or know of a good direction to look?

Mark

I've got some pictures on my website that i've pulled from the World Wide Web before some places 404'd and i think i've got some more on my hard drive...

gqtostaggart.jpg

tawnylazarustos.jpg

Lazarus' TOS uniform with round zipper pull
lazarustoszipper.jpg

Taggart uniform with triangular zipper pull
Actually, it's really a normal YKK upholstery zipper, the arrowhead is a separate piece attached to the existing zipper pull.
herocostume.jpg

gqcast.jpg

Actually, they are made from rubberized tent / outdoor bag material.
No, actually there were 4 sets of 'hero' uniforms:

1. The "Tos" uniforms: these are seen in the shots from th " Tv Series"
2. " convention appearance uniforms" . These differ quite a bit, especially in fabric type.
3. " Thermian made" uniforms: these are really impressive costumes, made of whipcord wool. bet they cost a lot!
4. The " next generation uniforms". These are seen in the end of the movie. They have a totally different pattern. Only have one of these.

Not counting the ' disguise generator' uniforms the thermians themselves wore, of course.

How do I know this? I own 15 of them left over from the movie, have a few of each.

Note the following display I did at a local convention.

Attachments

• galaxy quest display 2014 redacted.jpg
    galaxy quest display 2014 redacted.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
No, actually there were 4 sets of uniforms:

1. The "Tos" uniforms: thse are seen in the shots from th " Tv Series"
2. " convention appearance uniforms" . These differ a bit.
3. " Thermian made" uniforms: thse are reelly impressive costumes, made of whipcord wool.
4. the " next generation uniforms" These are seen in the end of the movies/

How do i know this? I own 15 of them left over from the movie, have a few of each.
Any hope you could get a pattern made from.one of them, i'm sure peeps would pay for one.

Any hope you could get a pattern made from.one of them, I'm sure peeps would pay for one.

I 'm not motivated by money, thanks I'd be happy to do it to help others, that's enough profit for me. I merely ask that if I do you a favor, remember and when I need something, try to pay it back. Or just pay it forward and help the next person with a problem. It's not like no one has helped me out with info here, it's been a godsend at times.

However, probably the simplest way would be if there was one of you that wanted it and lived in the bay area, and would just come and do measurements or take rubbings or take photos or whatever they need to do. This is what I did before. I could also point you to some sources: there's a place called ''nahrains' in the area that sells outdoor equipment repair materials that USED ( 2-3 years ago) to sell the correct thermian fabric. And of course, you used to be able to get the shoulder plastic from Ikea.

I've already had a pattern done, but it's in the hands of my tailor....I can ask of she still has the one she made (years ago) . Assuming not, would photos of the uniforms help? Also, specify WHICH uniform, and I'll see if I have it.

PS. the thermians uniforms are actually 'midnight blue /grey', (they look black on the screen), and they are made of rubberized tent liner. They are in bad shape, because apparently this material was not intended to be bent repeatedly in a small area (as happens with clothes) so the rubber surface cracked in these areas. The shoulder panels are actually made of ikea plastic shelf liner (I found this out by accident).

Have no idea where you could get the grey whip cord wool, a shame really as it drapes beautifully and looks really great in photos. Luckily, the 4 sets of uniforms were all made of different materials...for example, guy fleegman's uniform is spandex, whereas gwen's convention outfit is made of jersey, Dr. lazrus' convention outfit is made of stretch velour, beleive it or not. So there's a wide range of fabrics you can use and still be correct and accurate.

Never give up, never surrender!

PS. I also own the first protector miniature that was built for the film, and it was screen used as the ' TV series' ship, so it's twofer! Sadly, no one I knew at lucasfilm was able or willing to tell me who actually built the model....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back