The PERFECT Obi-Wan TPM Lightsaber

I hate to get pedantic with such a beautiful piece, but do the grip slots look just a hair too wide in the Z-Saber to anyone else?

Narrow grips is a tendency that stuck throughout the years. Even Vic's has narrow grips. But at the same time, it's such an easy and trivial fix that hardly anyone bothers.

^I don't mean to imply that his has too-wide grips compared to all the fan-made sabers we've seen; I mean they look too wide compared to the Visual Dictionary picture right next to it.

This might be a lighting/lens distortion issue, but I just want to make sure. It's such a pretty saber, it deserves the best. :thumbsup

I don't think the grips are necessarily wrong. I think it's a problem with comparing an out of focus, poorly lit picture with a crisp, focused picture. If you hold up a straight edge, they seem to line up fairly well. I am pretty sure Zenkai spent several dozen (if not hundreds) of hours preparing his models so I bet they are pretty accurate.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on my work.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions to ask, but for now, the only detail I'm curious about is the 3/8" rod/plate. You say that this is actually a rod that runs down throughout the entire hilt, holding everything together? This is new to me, as I have never come across this in my reference, though I also haven't come across anything of the contrary either.

That info has been on Parts of Star Wars for years (almost 9 now). That's how all the Ep1 sabers were built. 3/8" steel rod running through the resin saber bodies with an inset steel washer in the emitter and a found part greeblie capping off the bottom end. In the case of the Obi-Wan saber the bottom cap is a plastic "elliptical vessel head" like those from Plastruct.

I hate to get pedantic with such a beautiful piece, but do the grip slots look just a hair too wide in the Z-Saber to anyone else?
The problem is really with the VD photo. Whoever did the cutout in photoshop tended to make the grips look thicker than they actually are. Look at the TOPS of each grip. They tend to "cone out" in the VD picture because of how they were cut out. But the tops match the width of the tops of my grips. Vic's are good too, I think, though I haven't really looked too close.

And looking at other pictures, it is clear to me that my grips are good. I did spend a LOT of time generating these plans, and I'm confident that the grips are dead on. Of course, dissenting opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
Another example of cutout problems on the VD photo can be seen in the pommel. Look at the step just above the cubes. On the top of the image, it appears rounded, but on the bottom, it is clearly a hard step. It's not that the original prop is warped ... it's just that the photoshopper did an imperfect job cutting the saber out of the background. If we had the original image, we would see everything more clearly.

Maybe lonepigeon can confirm this for everyone?

Last edited:
I don't mean to disappoint you guys, but when Zenkai started this thread to show off this masterpiece, he may have wanted to do just that.

But if this saber is mass produced, there will certainly be a bit of ruckus, since it'll overshadow and make the others somewhat obsolete.

I remember reading someone say that he would never let go his one of only two custom HK SS O's produced. So to this person: Do you still feel the same way?

i know this was already said, but when the thread started, i was like meh...another tpm obi, then i noticed who started the thread, so i scrolled down through the pics and when i saw the lit blade, i'sheet-m'drars.:eek

i had all but given up on ever owning a TPM obi that has a lit blade... now i at least know it is possible.

I don't mean to disappoint you guys, but when Zenkai started this thread to show off this masterpiece, he may have wanted to do just that.

But if this saber is mass produced, there will certainly be a bit of ruckus, since it'll overshadow and make the others somewhat obsolete.

I remember reading someone say that he would never let go his one of only two custom HK SS O's produced. So to this person: Do you still feel the same way?

Haha! Yes, I do! Cause the SS is just that...stainless steel. :cool
I just bought one of these now to compare it to...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back