The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

hello everyone and sorry for the bother, i just wanted to ask, i bought a half face which fairly heavy, just covering my front face like one of those vendetta masks. the question is how can i make a harness for wearing it ? is their some kind of a tutorial ? what kind of strap ?

Hello all!

Im looking to get a new printer since my printer now can't handle cardstock.

What at do you use to print your .pdo's? Any recommendations for printers?

Thanks!

Hello there!
I am a relative newbie to pepakura and I have just pep-ed my first helmet (iron man). I used hot glue to attach the pieces, and my helmet is pretty messy as if right now. So I have two questions
1. Is the hot glue on the outside of the helmet going to become a problem or can I sand it off once I harden it?
2. how accurate does the helmet need to be before hardening? (AKA do the pieces need to be in EXACTLY the right place, or can I sand off minor inaccuracies once I harden the piece)

I've attached pictures to show you what I mean
I just don't want to spend the money to harden this if it's unusable and I need to re-pep it
IMG_3512.JPGIMG_3513.JPGIMG_3514.JPGIMG_3515.JPG

thanks!

Hello, I am making a Star Wars Battlefront II costume version of the Clone Sniper (the one with the purple waste cape) Right now I have made a pepakura helmet but it is too small. I need it to be 1/1 scale but I can't figure out the exact measurements off the helmet. Is there anyone here who can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm having a print problem with robo3687's Iron Man file. If I print Bitmap I only get the tab numbers, no lines. I tried setting the linewight to 10 with 0% transparency, no luck. If I try to print Vector, the page is solid black. Happens with designer and with viewer. Should I print to PDF, then print the PDFs out? That's the only thing I haven't tried. Thanks, Aosen

Re: The PEPAKURA question thread - READ FIRST POST before posting!

Hey I was curious about this helmet model...what are the final dimensions? (diameter and height) anyone know?

I modeled this a couple years ago, never got around to uploading it anywhere:
Youngling Helmet Final.pdo | Game Front

Here's what it looks like (those huge gaps are not in the model):
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/ruze789-ODST/YounglingHelmetPreview.jpg

Modeled from these views (helmet is on backwards in the profile picture):
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/ruze789-ODST/HelmetComp01.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/ruze789-ODST/YounglingReference01.jpg

I did build it but I don't think I have any pictures. It went together pretty easily.

Hey guys,
First I want to say sorry if I ask a noob question on the wrong place.

I'm a newbie on this forum and also a newbie for who want working with pepakura.
I want to ask:
- Whether there's a difference between PVA with PVAc? because in my country mostly available only PVAc in many stores (for wood working).
- Is the Polyurethane Foam can also be used for props working? because it absorbs heat and also safe, I think it was better than eva foam.

Thanks

I have a silly question-
If you're just building the pep to mold (using epoxy resin) do you need to glass the interior before bondo or is that just for if you're pepping to wear?

I"ve heard that using the lightweight filler results in significantly less sanding. Any downside to using it over regular bondo?

auto splitting pepakura files

I don't know if this is the right forum section but here goesCapture12323.PNG

I'm trying to make a big costume using pepakura and when I unfold it the parts are to big for the piece of paper and manually disjoining them is way too time consuming. so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a auto disjoining program or something like that.
thanks!

Re: auto splitting pepakura files

I don't know if this is the right forum section but here goesView attachment 532853

I'm trying to make a big costume using pepakura and when I unfold it the parts are to big for the piece of paper and manually disjoining them is way too time consuming. so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a auto disjoining program or something like that.
thanks!

You're pretty much stuck on two options.
1) have the model cut into smaller pieces in modeling software, then re-exported and re-unfolded in more manageable pieces. THis is quite a bit of work, and requires at least some 3d modeling experience to do.
2) Print the large pieces over multiple pages, then cut them out and re-tape them together. A lot of people do this anyways for large parts, I had to on pieces that were well over 3 feet tall but flat planes. Pepakura includes an option under print and paper settings to add alignment marks at each corner of the pages; this helps to line the edges up properly as you tape the pieces together.

Needless to say, #2 is will likely be the easiest to accomplish, good luck with your build!

Re: auto splitting pepakura files

You're pretty much stuck on two options.
1) have the model cut into smaller pieces in modeling software, then re-exported and re-unfolded in more manageable pieces. THis is quite a bit of work, and requires at least some 3d modeling experience to do.
2) Print the large pieces over multiple pages, then cut them out and re-tape them together. A lot of people do this anyways for large parts, I had to on pieces that were well over 3 feet tall but flat planes. Pepakura includes an option under print and paper settings to add alignment marks at each corner of the pages; this helps to line the edges up properly as you tape the pieces together.

Needless to say, #2 is will likely be the easiest to accomplish, good luck with your build!

okay! thank you I will post a pic when I'm done!

Is there a tutorial on converting unfolded for foam to paper build? I notice most of the later versions of Iron man are foam unfolds and I'm still exploring paper.

Is there a tutorial on converting unfolded for foam to paper build? I notice most of the later versions of Iron man are foam unfolds and I'm still exploring paper.

Depends on who did the unfold, but you may need to have the model reunfolded for paper properly. On most of the better foam files (JFcustom's is a great example), a lot of settings have been changed specifically in Pepakura to unfold properly for foam, and will not work well at all for a paper unfold unless those settings are reset.

If you do choose to try converting the foam unfold to paper, open the foam unfold file in Pepakura and do the following:

1) 2D MENU>JOIN ADJACENT EDGES and set this value to .05
2) Hit CNTRL+E to bring up the Set Edge Color menu. Make sure hide edges almost flat is checked, and adjust the slider to 175 degrees.
3) 2d MENU>RECALCULATE PARTS LAYOUT, and select OK (note the scale of the model listed if you plan to keep it the same)
4) 2D MENU> check both SHOW FLAPS and SHOW EDGE ID
5) select UNDO UNFOLD and uncheck save text objects for next unfold and apply open edge info to 3d model, then select OK
6) 3D MENU> RESET EDGE PROPERTIES

All these steps will get you back to a clean slate that can now be unfolded for paper. When you select unfold, be sure to enter the scale you were using before to make it match. Sounds like more steps than you'd think you'd need, but there are some adjustments made in foam unfolds that can't be undone without (especially) steps 5 and 6. As for then unfolding for paper, there are tutorials on youtube that can help. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back