The One-Stop Y-Wing Thread

Can anyone provide me with the actual length of the aluminum wing support for Nice-N Gold leader model, the PDF instructions I got off the RPF site says 12.50" in length but the piece that came with the kit is 10.5", everything seems to point that this is not wide enough to attach the outer parts to the wing armature. Would really appreciate any info on this subject.
Thanks,
Mark

Can anyone provide me with the actual length of the aluminum wing support for Nice-N Gold leader model, the PDF instructions I got off the RPF site says 12.50" in length but the piece that came with the kit is 10.5", everything seems to point that this is not wide enough to attach the outer parts to the wing armature. Would really appreciate any info on this subject.
Thanks,
Mark
The flat aluminum plate I received with my first Gold Leader kit was 12”. The one I received with my second kit is 11”. Odd to have that much difference between all these kits.
Both are 2.5” wide.

The flat aluminum plate I received with my first Gold Leader kit was 12”. The one I received with my second kit is 11”. Odd to have that much difference between all these kits.
Both are 2.5” wide.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to get another plate made up to the same dimensions just at 12.5 inches in length and then pick the one that works the best during assembly.
Thanks again for reply Jkirkon

If I remember correctly, I don’t think it HAS to be 12.5” long. Mock it up with the wing covers in place, and see how much material you have left to glue the nacelles on to. I recall it being more than wide enough on my last one. I do think 10.5” may be a little short (that’s what she said!).

If I remember correctly, I don’t think it HAS to be 12.5” long. Mock it up with the wing covers in place, and see how much material you have left to glue the nacelles on to. I recall it being more than wide enough on my last one. I do think 10.5” may be a little short (that’s what she said!).
Thanks again for the info, I just ordered another piece at 12" in length. It was only 5 bucks cut to the dimensional size. Better to have more than not enough.
Thanks again.

What you're 'attempting' to achieve is a maximum outer dimension of 38cm, from outer greeblie to outer greeblie. Most Y-Wing builders have discovered that this must have been a "rounded-up" number, since 38cm wide is the "official measurement" given in the reference books. So essentially what you're looking for is a dimensional width that can a.) hold all the greeblies, b.) "look" good and c.) come to within your happy tolerance of "exactness" depending on how you measure wingtip-to-wingtip. My personal take and "interpretation of the official measurement" is that the "smallest possible" width from outer greeblie to outer greeblie would be 37.6cm, and so my Tee-plates are designed to create that specific outcome. But that's just my two cents, and my wings are slightly "wider" than others, though not typically noticeable (to the naked eye) until you measure it.

What you're 'attempting' to achieve is a maximum outer dimension of 38cm, from outer greeblie to outer greeblie. Most Y-Wing builders have discovered that this must have been a "rounded-up" number, since 38cm wide is the "official measurement" given in the reference books. So essentially what you're looking for is a dimensional width that can a.) hold all the greeblies, b.) "look" good and c.) come to within your happy tolerance of "exactness" depending on how you measure wingtip-to-wingtip. My personal take and "interpretation of the official measurement" is that the "smallest possible" width from outer greeblie to outer greeblie would be 37.6cm, and so my Tee-plates are designed to create that specific outcome. But that's just my two cents, and my wings are slightly "wider" than others, though not typically noticeable (to the naked eye) until you measure it.
Thank you Studio Kitbash,
I will use these dimensions to get the required edge to edge width of the wing tips on the engines. this info will make it much easier to get it right rather than guessing and doing several do overs to get it to look right. I now have a 12" wing support plate that should work out just fine.
Thanks again for the subject matter expertise. I'm really going to be leaning on members for support during this build, it's my first high quality studio scale build and I just want to get it right and do a great job on it.

Good morning everyone,
Does anyone have any recomendations on what type of CA or epoxy to use when gluing the aluminum armature pieces together with the resin parts of a Nice - N Y wing? I am mostly concerned with the flat bar wing support. Could really use the expertise of the RPF members.
Thanks,
Mark

I used JB Weld to glue the armature parts to the fuselage.
Thanks, I have several types of that already. I have one I used on my Nautilus build that was for plastics and resin but not sure if it will bond well with the aluminum, did you use the metal JB weld?

Thick CA glue bonds well to aluminum. Ensure you rough it up with some heavy grit sandpaper to give it some tooth.

TazMan2000
Thanks Tazman2000, I think I'm going to use a combination ZAP Medium thick CA and JB Weld resin epoxy in different areas of course to ensure no mixing of the two. I'll rough up the surface with some 60 grit abrasive paper I have for metal auto bodywork. I really appreciate the advice and valuable feedback to all of my inquiries on the RPF, the experience levels of the members here are so rewarding to a newbie resin model builder like myself.
Thanks again,
Mark

Thanks, I have several types of that already. I have one I used on my Nautilus build that was for plastics and resin but not sure if it will bond well with the aluminum, did you use the metal JB weld?
I think I just used the old school JB weld. It will stick anything to anything

I think I just used the old school JB weld. It will stick anything to anything
Thanks Jkirkon, I got everything glued and epoxied up last night with Medium ZAP CA & JB Weld. With an extra set of hands from my wife it looks like it set very well.

Attachments

• Y Wing - Build 2.jpg
    Y Wing - Build 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 363
  • Y Wing - Build 4.jpg
    Y Wing - Build 4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 350
Guns... the guns have stopped.

Where are your top turret guns, Jkirkon? They fall off, you lose them, break them, or are you in the process of building super-detailed guns with turned metal barrels, vents and all?

Holler if you need guns. I have a good 2-part mold to replace the 1/24 Hurricane guns that go up there. Or did your squadron become pacifists? ; )

Guns... the guns have stopped.

Where are your top turret guns, Jkirkon? They fall off, you lose them, break them, or are you in the process of building super-detailed guns with turned metal barrels, vents and all?

Holler if you need guns. I have a good 2-part mold to replace the 1/24 Hurricane guns that go up there. Or did your squadron become pacifists? ; )
I hadn’t glued them on in that pic.

Is this better?
31742B79-E7B7-4D27-9BC4-023AD8C47FDB.jpeg

Looking good, Porkins. I remember when my Gold Leader was at that stage. This is it now.
Great looking Gold Leader Y Wing! I hope mine comes out half as nice as yours, paint job and blast marks are fantastic. Can I ask what color code or name is the baby blue on the canopy & other areas of the model?

Great looking Gold Leader Y Wing! I hope mine comes out half as nice as yours, paint job and blast marks are fantastic. Can I ask what color code or name is the baby blue on the canopy & other areas of the model?
Honestly, I don’t know offhand. I built it, but I can’t paint to save my life, so I farm that work out to another gentleman on this site. I know he uses Archive X paints.

Jkirkon: Ah, much better, I can stop OD'ing on my OCD meds now...

Pulled Porkins: The blue is Floquil #60127 GN Big Sky Blue, available from Archive X or if you get lucky in a vintage bottle on Ebay from time to time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back