The Mandalorian and Grogu (feature film)

Copied from the local news website, Edmonton Journal.

If production begins this year as planned, the film might open in late 2025. Fans have already noted the presence of an “untitled Star Wars feature” on Dec. 19, 2025, on the Lucasfilm release slate. Also in the works and undated is a movie about Rey, the character played by Daisy Ridley.

Plot details and casting news have yet to surface, but the Mandalorian would presumably be played by Pedro Pascal, who portrays the character in the Disney+ series.

“Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have ushered into Star Wars two new and beloved characters, and this new story is a perfect fit for the big screen,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in making the announcement.

Well, we have less than two years to argue about whether it's going to be good or not, and perhaps a bit less to see what the plot is going to be like. Then afterwards, we can argue whether we liked it or not. (Just creating a calendar of events) :lol:

It's the same thing...with every movie.

TazMan2000

Am actually more intrigued by why they would announce this new movie by Jon Favreau days after the new "Rey Skywalker" director opened her mouth about her new trilogy. "Squirrel!!!"

I believe the Rey movie announcement was not sanctioned by Disney for that director to make. Look at the facts:
  • Daisy pointed out a couple weeks ago that she there's no script yet. It takes months for a script to be approved by a studio, and then 1-2 years to make a movie after a script has been approved. And will Daisy sign on if she hates it? Too many unknowns.

• Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy has never directed a big budget film. She's known for small documentaries.

• Disney themselves have made ZERO official announcements about the Rey movie since Star Wars Celebration; a lot has happened since then. In the news were Daisy Ridley and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy speaking off the cuff.

• A day later, Disney officially announces what they ARE working on.

• That same day, Adam Driver mentions he's not coming back as Kylo Ren, so forget about any flashback performances from him.
My opinion? Sharmeen had a couple positive meetings with KK and/or Disney, and maybe even a handshake agreement. And who hires an untried director on a billion dollar trilogy before there's a script?

BUT...

If this untried director were to tell folks that she's been chosen to direct a Star Wars film, well, that might open up employment opportunties in the meantime! And it's just publicity for Disney, not bad publicity. I think Disney was allowing Sharmeen was firing up her résumé/CV in order to get gigs.

So I believe that the OFFICIAL Mandalorian and Grogu announcement is course correction or clarification from Disney.

The facts do seem to paint a picture.

Bill

Last edited:
By the way, I can't take credit for the above notions...they were placed in my head by a certain connected influencer that I have a lot of respect for.

By the way, I can't take credit for the above notions...they were placed in my head by a certain connected influencer that I have a lot of respect for.

It's possible that Disney is testing the waters for a Rey Movie. If everyone thinks it's going to suck, Disney may rethink it, but if everyone is craving a Episode X then they may pursue it.

With all of the recent box office failures (in addition to the Star Wars Hotel failure, Disney can't afford more mistakes.

TazMan2000

It's possible that Disney is testing the waters for a Rey Movie. If everyone thinks it's going to suck, Disney may rethink it, but if everyone is craving a Episode X then they may pursue it.

With all of the recent box office failures (in addition to the Star Wars Hotel failure, Disney can't afford more mistakes.

Very possible, yes. I think there are two factions having formed in Lucasfilm, and they're essentially KK vs. Favreau, with KK having her own agenda and the authority to sabotage Favreau's approach, but not get rid of him. Mando news is Favreau, Rey news is KK, etc.

Very possible, yes. I think there are two factions having formed in Lucasfilm, and they're essentially KK vs. Favreau, with KK having her own agenda and the authority to sabotage Favreau's approach, but not get rid of him. Mando news is Favreau, Rey news is KK, etc.

Favreau and on a bit of a smaller scale, Filoni, are the Disney golden boys. Almost everything they touch is successful...especially when they have control. I wonder if that makes KK jealous, trying to sabotage their success. Or maybe KK just has some vision that needs to be satisfied, regardless of the consequences. It certainly seems like she has an agenda.

TazMan2000

Favreau and on a bit of a smaller scale, Filoni, are the Disney golden boys. Almost everything they touch is successful...especially when they have control. I wonder if that makes KK jealous, trying to sabotage their success. Or maybe KK just has some vision that needs to be satisfied, regardless of the consequences. It certainly seems like she has an agenda.

I think you're right on the mark there, with both.

Now that's not a bad, thing necessarily. I love the EU and many authors did not hold the same views on things that George did. For instance Karen Teaviss pretty much hated the Jedi. And it comes through her novels. But I think it worth keeping in mind that the different points of views from Dave and George. Particularly since TCW is considered to be this unmovable "canonical" segment of the saga. (Sometimes more so than the films.) And this new continuity is built upon that foundation. So when books like Star Wars Timelines says- "Led by Yoda, the Jedi have frown remote from those they serve, heedless of the growing corruption and lawlessness-and blind to the plot against their Order."

I don't think Karen Traviss hated the Jedi, but rather the Mandalorians and the clones that were with them. Her, or her characters' view of the Jedi was absolutely not wrong. As the audience, most of whom love the Jedi characters, we have a favorable view of them. From the point of the average Republic citizen who is struggling and probably has never even seen a Jedi in person, they don't see the Jedi improving anything. From the Mandalorians, who are definitely prejudiced, and the clones under them, the Jedi are hypocrites who say one thing, but when the time (war) comes to put their beliefs to the test, they instead do whatever will preserve their way of life. If you're a clone, well a commando and above with more free will to think, you are basically a slave with no say so and the Jedi are the masters.

There is definitely an internal divide with KK vs Favreau factions at LFL.

Will it be Rey or Mando in theaters? That probably depends on Bob Iger.

I'm surprised Favreau is still willing to mess with SW at all. In his place I probably would have cut loose from LFL a couple years ago. It's too frustrating to pour your heart & soul into making good stuff and then watch the higher-ups crap all over it for no good reason. Favreau doesn't need the money.

Maybe he's trying to steer LFL through the storm because he hopes to get KK's job in a few years. I could see that. But even then, I doubt it's necessary. He could walk away from LFL for now and make it known that he's willing to come back for that job.

I like the characters, but I hate the idea.

It's just the kind of idea I'd expect from a committee. "These characters are popular so let's give them their own movie."

I like the characters, but I hate the idea.

It's just the kind of idea I'd expect from a committee. "These characters are popular so let's give them their own movie."

I don't think that's the case. It looks more like "We don't want to commit to a 6-hour Season 4. Let's cut it down to movie length and throw that kind of publicity at it."

Joek3rr, please do not take this the wrong way... We have never had a cross word, & I'm not trying to single you out or 'gatekeep' or anything like that. Even though we fundamentally disagree on the content of most of your posts, they are almost ALWAYS well thought out & presented, & I enjoy reading them.

That said, this post right here is what I don't get. You started an entire thread to discuss "ALL THINGS STAR WARS", & again, although I completely disagree with the content of what you said, & although it's presented well, I fail to see what it has to do with this new film that's being discussed, other than Filoni being named as a producer.

It's exactly what I was talking about when I said EVERY SINGLE SW THREAD turns into the EXACT SAME SW THREAD.

Again, this isn't a personal attack, but I just wanted to use this as an example of what I was talking about. If it's taken any other way, I truly apologize personally, but my point still stands.
You're good (y)

Astyanax was just saying they were excited, and that's partially to do with them loving TCW.

And I was just trying to share that because TCW has kinda dropped for me. Shows which have spun out of it, or helmed by Dave, just kinda have me going "meh."

After a 25,000 years or so, I would hope the fall of the Jedi would begin more than half a percent (.4% to be exact) from their end.
If their fall was from within. But it isn't really. George basically says the PT era Jedi are in their prime.

Now the Republic's fall is different story.

I don't think Karen Traviss hated the Jedi, but rather the Mandalorians and the clones that were with them. Her, or her characters' view of the Jedi was absolutely not wrong. As the audience, most of whom love the Jedi characters, we have a favorable view of them. From the point of the average Republic citizen who is struggling and probably has never even seen a Jedi in person, they don't see the Jedi improving anything. From the Mandalorians, who are definitely prejudiced, and the clones under them, the Jedi are hypocrites who say one thing, but when the time (war) comes to put their beliefs to the test, they instead do whatever will preserve their way of life. If you're a clone, well a commando and above with more free will to think, you are basically a slave with no say so and the Jedi are the masters.
I do believe she did say she hated them. It was either on her blog or the old message boards she said that she cheered when Order 66 went down. Great fit to write Mandalorians though.

If their fall was from within. But it isn't really. George basically says the PT era Jedi are in their prime.

Now the Republic's fall is different story.

I'm not the expert about fictional SW lore. But I figured the state of the Jedi in the PT was more like "at the height of the power & influence" rather than being at their prime functioning as a religion & organization. The power peak is a by-product of the functional peak and it usually comes later.

The US govt had a full-blown Empire after WW2. Still does today. But the prime health of the USA as a concept (and the peak of the govt's functioning) was arguably in the 1800s. These days the govt has gotten too controlled by corporate interests and everything is all log-jammed. The govt has stopped passing new Constitutional amendments and it's failing to adapt to the changing world. The branches cannot check & balance themselves like they were intended to. Etc.

The PT era was probably the height of George Lucas's power as an independent studio & VFX empire. But the creative peak of the content was 20 years earlier. By the PT era Lucas was struggling to produce new hit material outside of his two old reliable cash crops, the SW and Indy blockbuster movies. Willow was a failure compared to its aspirations. Howard/Duck, Radioland Murders, Red Tails . . . none of it was hitting.

I figured the Jedi were on this kind of downslope in the PT. The organization looked unstoppable on the outside but it was actually falling into internal problems & stagnating if you scratched it deeper. IMO this fits the larger SW storyline.

Last edited:
Copied from the local news website, Edmonton Journal.

If production begins this year as planned, the film might open in late 2025. Fans have already noted the presence of an “untitled Star Wars feature” on Dec. 19, 2025, on the Lucasfilm release slate. Also in the works and undated is a movie about Rey, the character played by Daisy Ridley.

Plot details and casting news have yet to surface, but the Mandalorian would presumably be played by Pedro Pascal, who portrays the character in the Disney+ series.

“Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have ushered into Star Wars two new and beloved characters, and this new story is a perfect fit for the big screen,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in making the announcement.

Well, we have less than two years to argue about whether it's going to be good or not, and perhaps a bit less to see what the plot is going to be like. Then afterwards, we can argue whether we liked it or not. (Just creating a calendar of events) :lol:

It's the same thing...with every movie.

TazMan2000
Oh thank god! At least we know we have 2 solid years of b[thing we can do!

I believe the Rey movie announcement was not sanctioned by Disney for that director to make. Look at the facts:
  • Daisy pointed out a couple weeks ago that she there's no script yet. It takes months for a script to be approved by a studio, and then 1-2 years to make a movie after a script has been approved. And will Daisy sign on if she hates it? Too many unknowns.

• Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy has never directed a big budget film. She's known for small documentaries.

• Disney themselves have made ZERO official announcements about the Rey movie since Star Wars Celebration; a lot has happened since then. In the news were Daisy Ridley and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy speaking off the cuff.

• A day later, Disney officially announces what they ARE working on.

• That same day, Adam Driver mentions he's not coming back as Kylo Ren, so forget about any flashback performances from him.
My opinion? Sharmeen had a couple positive meetings with KK and/or Disney, and maybe even a handshake agreement. And who hires an untried director on a billion dollar trilogy before there's a script?

BUT...

If this untried director were to tell folks that she's been chosen to direct a Star Wars film, well, that might open up employment opportunties in the meantime! And it's just publicity for Disney, not bad publicity. I think Disney was allowing Sharmeen was firing up her résumé/CV in order to get gigs.

So I believe that the OFFICIAL Mandalorian and Grogu announcement is course correction or clarification from Disney.

The facts do seem to paint a picture.

Bill
Any employee becomes an immediate ambassador for their employer. I would never want to say that supposition is fact either. In this case, and in the entertainment world in general, appearance can lend itself to reality very fast. Do we know all the details? Not a chance. But we do know that out of the abundance of their heart, a person speaks. Sharmeem felt really empowered to speak "off the cuff" for a person just hired. Either she has more power by special interests behind her or was given that empowerment by KK herself. If she just went "Rogue" for a bit as a new employee and de facto ambassador for said company, then it shows very little respect or fear of consequence, especially with all kinds of money at stake and non-disclosures, not to mention "future business opportunities".

You would think they would have fired her immediately after those comments unless it was allowed in the first place. You can know a tree by the fruit it produces. The "official" announcement for The Mandalorian and Grogu came shortly after. To the public, the timing seems to be dubious, yet it's hard not to believe that in either case, that it wasn't intentionally done. I disagree with it just being publicity...in my view, it's really bad publicity. I know today the view is that any publicity is publicity that translates into dollars but i disagree with that line of thinking. Movies will bring in revenue one way or another...until they stop. It doesn't mean that in the long term they will be profitable. The OT continues to be fruitful to this day. The ST is not. When you start politicizing a movie series on the frontside, which is what Sharmeem has done, you will most definitely bring publicity to it...but in the long term, to quote Jake Skywalker..."This is not going to go the way you think". I digress this point because it belongs in a different thread, but to correlate my point with the announcement of the new Mando and Grogu movie, i'm sorry but it's all linked together.

Disney/Lucasfilm are not the only ones guilty of spouting off at the mouth and not producing a viable product. Somewhat related, sitting on the forefront of my mind, was a video game announcement like 3 or 4 years ago of a Sony Playstation remake of KOTOR that has yet to see the light of day. Has a teaser and everything. Why do companies continue to do this? To bring "publicity" to it? It literally takes less than 24hrs for something to become viral these days. The only publicity it generates when companies do these things is make themselves look unreliable and untrustworthy. I know i'm old school and all but integrity means something to me. Imagine if a parent keeps making promises to their children and never follows through on them. Over time that child won't believe a word that parent says, especially when they have something potentially important to tell them and now all respect has been lost and there goes the relationship and the trust. In Sharmeem's case, i believe she means exactly what she says and says what she menas. They are unapologetic and in your face about it, so one must conclude that it was completely intentional and not off the cuff.

The Favreau release feels completely docile why the new Star Wars trilogy that's about to begin feels divisive and there is already enough of that crap to go around without trying to stoke the fires of it. To quote Obi-wan "You have done that yourself" Lucasfilm. My gut tells me that the Favreau release will blow the "Rey Skywalker" trilogy out of the water based on that fact alone which will act as a counter balance to allow them to kill two birds with one stone. In other words, make enough money off of one endeavor to pay for the social activism on the other because one thing is for certain...One of them will most definitely bomb at the box office. If KK's project bombs and Favreau's does not, i wonder if a change will eventually come to Lucasfilm to pair Favreau and Filoni indefinitely without anyone over their shoulders handcuffing them. Just sharing thoughts. This is as much as i will say about this and my intent was not to distract an entire thread but to me, is warranted in comparison to the Mando Grogu announcement. In any event, for the kids sake, i really hope that Favreaus movie is light-hearted, yet meaningful and just a fun flick for them to watch, yet still have a good plot. As Tigger would say, TTFN!!! Ta-Ta-For-Now lol.

I think Disney is just starting to come to the realization that just because you put the name of "Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Marvel in the title, you're not automatically going to reap money. We're not mindless drones that will keep shelling out money for crap. Disney keeps doing the same thing and expects a different result, which we all know is the definition of insanity, but I think it's more the definition of stupidity.

TazMan2000

Really hope for this to be a story like one from the first season, just mando and grogu on an adventure. But im sure it will probably involve Thrawn and all the other characters as well.

Is this separate from that Heir to the Empire movie?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back