The making of Raphael, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

This is a fantastic project....can't wait to see more pics. Loving the work so far..great expression on Raphael's face! :)

Ashton saw all the cracks and he said, "Wow. You were finally able to take out that thing?"

Yes, I said with dread.

"Cool!"

God I love him. Mommy just can't do any wrong.

Yeah I love it when my kids tell me my stuff is awesome. I tend to be my own worst critic and their enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air.

Last night I patched this sucker up. I tried to use bondo but the stuff stinks to high heaven. I scrapped that idea real fast. After tying the two halves together and gluing it shut, I used Apoxie to seal up the mongo cracks at the seam line...and then used baked clay with the positive texture to punch in the design and hopefully hide the seam. This morning, I poured in the liquid latex in there, and it's drying at the moment. Halloween is fast approaching, and this better work.

Cool. Just make sure you use a respirator and lots of ventilation with Bondo (if you decide to try it again in the future). I never smell it through mine.

Probably wouldn't hurt to leave it sit out for a day or so if its nice that way the smell is gone for good and it gets super dry. Bondo can be picky on how it wants to dry.

Patience is not one of my virtues. Curiosity got the best of me, so I took out the latex before it was fully cured. It almost cured, but not quite. Where I put the Apoxie is where the latex was not cured properly...so it looks likes I'm going to have to go in there and cover up those areas of Apoxie with some more Ultracal30.

Maybe also because of the way I sculpted it...the access area where I could pull the latex out was very small. Let's just say it felt like I was birthing a calf trying to pull out the latex.

Anyway, I am happy with how it turned out, no matter how crappy, because there's still time to fix it. Plus it's a good learning experience.

dsc05288m.jpg

This is the chin area that I need to concentrate on, and make sure that latex gets slushed on it.
dsc05290o.jpg

Here's the seam that I tried to fix with Apoxie:
dsc05289w.jpg

There really is no growing space, and this fits Ashton exactly. I need to invest in those mannequins I suppose since it's super fun to sculpt lifesize...it's just that they take up space, too. Anyway, it's great to see Ashton being so excited about something that looks so horrible. I'm going to cut out the teeth and replace with white cheesecloth and redraw the lines on with 3D paint, so the mask can be really vented.
dsc05293.jpg

Last edited:
Darn you Raphael!! Where has time gone? Why are you giving me grief? I am working feverishly to make sure you are completed by tomorrow's Halloween parade at school.

My patchwork of the seam did not work...it looks really rough. Note to self--next time make it so there are no seams to deal with. I think that's possible if planned correctly.

There was a crack on Raphael's face after I tried to fix the seam, too. Anyway, I patched that up with some more Ultracal 30, and decided that as long as the turtle has no obvious holes, that would be good enough for me.

Currently gluing down the red mask (forgot to get red fabric, so I cut up an old t-shirt from Ashton's closet that he has outgrown anyway)....

Here are photos of today's progress. This is mask after I pulled it out of the Ultracal mold. I don't know what's up with that dent on the lip area...it wasn't there with my first pull. Perhaps I dented it permanently while pulling out the mask from the mold.
dsc05376y.jpg

The crap seam that I had tried to patch up with Apoxie, which I had to dremel off and repatch with more Ultracal 30:
dsc05378f.jpg

The seam was not so obvious after I painted the mask with black pax:
dsc05379n.jpg

Was too lazy to mix up red pax, so I tried to paint up the mask with rubber mask grease paint. Obviously, it wasn't working, and was only just background color anyway, so I gave up. The teeth I cut out and glued down a white fabric for airflow.
dsc05380a.jpg

The black outline for the teeth have been sewn on. I couldn't find black yarn, so I plucked off some fringe material for another costume and used that.
dsc05381fj.jpg

This is the red fabric glued on top of the mask area. The seam really doesn't bother me as much after it's been painted up. Ashton won't mind, and anyway, at least it doesn't have holes now. I am just trying to clean up the edges by folding them under and gluing down.
dsc05382d.jpg
dsc05383fd.jpg

Last edited:
how is the build coming ? Any more photos on this?

uh...this is it! It's only the mask that I am making for Ashton. We have a store-bought costume because I didn't want to put more effort into his costume. :eek Tomorrow is the school parade.

I have turned the mask inside out to air it out...I'm going to dust it with baby powder before I turn it right side out.

So glad I made the effort on Ashton's mask. Here he is among his classmates. Because I turned his mask inside out to air it out, the left eye hole was seriously misbehaving as it had become misshapened. I will have to try to figure out how to straighten it out so that Ashton can wear it this Sunday without problems. This is last moment stuff that I had not expected, but live and learn. The good thing was he said that it didn't smell anymore inside the mask.
dsc05462a.jpg

dsc05482y.jpg

dsc05458.jpg

I was really shocked to see how sweaty Ashton's hair was after he took the mask off. Eeew!
dsc05512b.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back