The Lone Ranger (Post-release)

Damn, this thread became a whole lot more interesting. Thanks Paul, for sharing that behind the scenes information.

He always has one of the most insightful details about the Hollywood industry, though more ugly side of things there than the rest. I remember being gleeful when he posted on the BTTF.com forum years ago and shared some good BTTF and other movie tidbits while we were discussing Marty's denim jacket.

Paul, you should write a book detailing the happenings of Hollywood along with your experiences, I and many others would buy it.

I guess it will be a long time before any studio will consider reviving The Long Ranger for the big screen again.

Last edited:
I guess it will be a long time before any studio will consider reviving The Long Ranger for the big screen again.

Or if they do, as the Cinema Snob pointed out, the studio will probably be disappointed that their movie grossed only 700 million dollars out of it's two billion dollar budget.

I'm still hoping for a sequel... where they do it the right way. Fat chance, I know... but, stranger things have happened.

I really liked this film it was fun if you thought of it as a live action cartoon...but I was upset that the native American 'skinwalker' sections got cut, it would have been nice to see them battle or at least run from werewolves!..This film did not deserve the panning that it got...too bad we will probably never see a sequel...:(

Well if the story is truly told from Tonto's perspective of course the LR will appear helpless, clumsy, and a bit cowardly when getting into battles. Tonto was the brave one and he saw the Lone Ranger for exactly what he was...a bumbling idiot who eventually became a hero at the end of the story.

Well if the story is truly told from Tonto's perspective of course the LR will appear helpless, clumsy, and a bit cowardly when getting into battles. Tonto was the brave one and he saw the Lone Ranger for exactly what he was...a bumbling idiot who eventually became a hero at the end of the story.

Why would anyone want to watch the title character of a summer blockbuster movie being a helpless, clumsy, bumbling idiotic coward for two hours of this film's two and a half hour running time? Oh, that's a trick question because nobody really wanted to.

You just had to know that with everything this production went through to make it to the screen, there HAD to be shenanigans like this afoot.

Was there ANYTHING of Terry's script left?

And VERY telling that when Executive Producer Depp was on one of the late night talk shows and mentioned what a great script prior to the film's opening, he talked about what a wonderful script Justin Haythe wrote...with no mention of Terry or Ted.

Wow. Tough crowd here :lol

This was released only today here, and I went to the first show :D

Very entertaining.

A bit 'surprised' that a Disney movie would delve into a little OTT gore for their standards (Cavendish). Otherwise, normal.

The comedy parts were great :lol !

When the William Tell Overture burst out, together with the action sequence, I found myself smiling from ear to ear, rum-rumming to the tune, and doing little jumps in my seat to the beat :D ... fantastic timing.

All in all, a definite thumbs up from me, say 6 or 7 out of 10, and definitely getting the DVD :D

2.5 hours just flew by way too quickly :(

Loved it ... so sue me :lol

I love how Depp and some of his behind the scenes cronies are blaming the failure of the movie on the negativity from the media. When did things change so that there are no bad movies made anymore but only good movies that have become the target of incorrect opinions and "haters" (god I despise that term)?

Some people just refused to admit that some movies really suck either because of personal involvement or some obsessive need to defend a bad movie that they just happened to enjoy.

I miss the days when a movie could simply be bad.

I love how Depp and some of his behind the scenes cronies are blaming the failure of the movie on the negativity from the media. When did things change so that there are no bad movies made anymore but only good movies that have become the target of incorrect opinions and "haters" (god I despise that term)?

Some people just refused to admit that some movies really suck either because of personal involvement or some obsessive need to defend a bad movie that they just happened to enjoy.

I miss the days when a movie could simply be bad.

A movie can simply be bad no question.

A movie can do badly off negative publicity/press too.

If you think a movie is going to bad, you typically aren't going to go. If you think it'll be good, you'd typically see it. I'd imagine if you surveyed moviegoers before seeing the movie, that, those who'd read/seen more than the trailer for it didn't think it'd be very good.

Personally, i haven't seen it so I can say. However, Of the press writing's i recall...

-articles of it getting canceled
-articels of people being offended Depp was playing Tonto and not an actual indian
-articles of it being brought back by depp forcing the issue
-articles bemoaning depp's outfit when a photo was released
-articles not liking that there'd be a humor bent to it

And then as the release neared there were articles projecting it to be huge bust - BEFORE release.

Sure, there are a number of people who'd blow all that off and want to make up their own mind. More power to them frankly. However, stack all that up against the average movie-goer along with articles saying it'd be a huge bust before it was released, and your odds don't seem to favorable in my book.

I'm sure the film didn't help itself, but from what I can recall, the media sure didn't help it either.

A movie can simply be bad no question.

A movie can do badly off negative publicity/press too.

If you think a movie is going to bad, you typically aren't going to go. If you think it'll be good, you'd typically see it. I'd imagine if you surveyed moviegoers before seeing the movie, that, those who'd read/seen more than the trailer for it didn't think it'd be very good.

Personally, i haven't seen it so I can say. However, Of the press writing's i recall...

-articles of it getting canceled
-articels of people being offended Depp was playing Tonto and not an actual indian
-articles of it being brought back by depp forcing the issue
-articles bemoaning depp's outfit when a photo was released
-articles not liking that there'd be a humor bent to it

And then as the release neared there were articles projecting it to be huge bust - BEFORE release.

Sure, there are a number of people who'd blow all that off and want to make up their own mind. More power to them frankly. However, stack all that up against the average movie-goer along with articles saying it'd be a huge bust before it was released, and your odds don't seem to favorable in my book.

I'm sure the film didn't help itself, but from what I can recall, the media sure didn't help it either.

I understand that the media can have a big influence but sometimes a crappy movie is simply a crappy movie. Not many people seem willing to admit that anymore.

I kinda liked it and this is from a fan of the original tv show, I grew up watching it every week and was pleased to have met Jay Silverheels (Tonto) and speak with him.

I enjoyed the film as a fun movie to watch, I did not go in with too many expectations due to the critics roasting it before they even saw it. After reading the very polarized at times discussion here I think one thing has been missed. This is Not a Lone Ranger movie, this was the story of a bumbling city guy BECOMING the Lone Ranger. It was told from Tonto's point of view..which would be pretty much summed up with the conversation he had with the horse. We did not see the Lone Ranger till the very end and I think this is were a lot of people missed a chance to enjoy it by wanting him to be the Lone Ranger from the start. If you have not seen it I hope you do and just enjoy it with out the hangups. ~Cheers

I never saw this in the theater, but just picked up the DVD yesterday. I love The Lone Ranger and figured I would gamble and just spend the money. I really wanted this to be good, but was left a bit disappointed. When I heard the movie was coming out, I was hoping they would do the William Tell Overture justice. Despite my disappointment overall, that 10 - 15 minute train sequence with the overture made me smile ear to ear. I felt like a kid, I absolutely loved that part of the movie. In fact, that 15 minutes alone was worth the price of the movie. I've watched that scene five times. I just wish the entire movie made me feel that way.

I would wake up early every Sat before my dad would leave to go to the office and he and I would watch the Lone Ranger and Superman from the 50's. This movie was entertaining at best. I am with you about the train scene and the overture but other than that it was it's own movie. I had high hopes how it started off as being a flash back. Over all for fan's of the Ranger it was a let down, but no where near as horrible as critics made it out to be.

Okay, so coming from a perspective of someone who has never seen a single episode of the ACTUAL Lone Ranger show, I absolutely LOVED the movie!
I'm not sure about how good it was compared to the show, but I thought the movie was absolutely great! It really just felt like when I went to see the first Pirates of the Caribbean again, and I was super duper pleased with it.

Wow. Tough crowd here :lol

This was released only today here, and I went to the first show :D

Very entertaining.

A bit 'surprised' that a Disney movie would delve into a little OTT gore for their standards (Cavendish). Otherwise, normal.

The comedy parts were great :lol !

When the William Tell Overture burst out, together with the action sequence, I found myself smiling from ear to ear, rum-rumming to the tune, and doing little jumps in my seat to the beat :D ... fantastic timing.

All in all, a definite thumbs up from me, say 6 or 7 out of 10, and definitely getting the DVD :D

2.5 hours just flew by way too quickly :(

Loved it ... so sue me :lol

I feel like I should quote this just because everyone should see it again, because that is a great opinion! :D

6 or 7 out of 10 sounds right.

Some people take movies WAY too seriously... like Riddick 2013... saw it last night and it was good, like a 7/10. I'm not expecting an epic blockbuster movie... heck it has a small budget, yes it's gory (why do critics that go see a gory movie complain about it being gory!!!) and yes it has some humor in it... it's Vin Diesel, that's what he does :lol

The Lone Rangers is just the same way, it's comical, yet somewhat seriousish. No it's not a 300 million dollars movie... it's not suppose to be... And not it's no a copy/paste of past movies/shows... when do they ever do that?

I learned one thing a lot time ago... don't take movies too seriously... :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back