The Interview (Post-release)

Re: The Interview

Ben Stiller: Really hard to believe this is the response to a threat to freedom of expression here in America.

garywhitta: A tinpot dictator half a world away just decided what the American public is allowed to see at the cinema. Incredible.
Just because you CAN tweet does not mean you SHOULD tweet. This isn't just the US release, this is everywhere.

And just as Sony was getting back into my good graces by going ahead with the the release they go and give in and ruin my opinion of them again. Oh, I know it was the lawyers saying to not release it because some other lawyer would try to sue them for millions if someone so much as spilled their drink in their lap at a theater. Or, now that I think about it, they are probably waiting until more theaters will show it so they make big bucks on the opening weekend. My guess is they will release it eventually, just like "Big Trouble" was delayed because of 9/11.

Anyway, I think it was really Angelina Jolie so people would see the movie she made instead of "The Interview".

Last edited:

"This Is The End" directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg was great and it looked like this was going to be hilarious too.

Not all data were secrets. They hacked regular emails which were private. Blaming the company for not keeping things secrets is pointless, if not this they would have hacked something else. Tomorrow it's going to be the public's emails, are we going to blame people for sharing their private discussion on emails too?

And the actors, writers, directors and countless other Hollywood people complaining are US citizens too, they have right to voice their frustration. I don't see what's so wrong about those tweets.

That article from Motherboard downplays the effects of the hack, it's not mere scripts and emails, people's medical records, social security and other personal data were also hacked.

And the hack has been going for few weeks now, yes that's a matter of concern but the bigger issue at hand is how the mere hollow threat has made the theatres and people cave in fear.

Compared to the things people seemed to have protested against corporations in the past, I hope more people voice their disapproval.

I never had an intention of seeing this, still won't. Seriously? Sony thought that making a film about assassinating a real life leader of another country wouldn't have some fallout? It's one thing to make a film about assassinating a fictional world leader, but when you base it on an actual, living person, you're really crossing a line of good taste, regardless of who you are targeting. NK may be run by a mass murdering psychopath, but if they really thought it would be a good idea to make the movie, then I just have to laugh at the way they picked a fight with someone who wasn't going to sit back and take it. NK has nothing as a military power, they are kept in check with a freaking mine field afterall. But you know what's really cheap? A bunch of computer hackers. We just saw the first cyberwar, and NK won it resoundingly. Now they're emboldened in fact. Just imagine what happens if they decide they want to start attacking another half dozen major corporations and use similar tactics. They could do serious damage to our economy without a shot fired, with barely anything spent.

The best part of this all? Finding out what douchebags the Sony executives are and how they're as phony as the films they make.

I'm surprised that no one figured that the threats were from North Korea until now. Just the broken English alone is a dead giveaway. Kim's probably laughing it up eating his chocolate cake in Pyongyang. If Kim Jong Il was still around he'd probably want to see the movie being that he was a big movie buff, its a shame.

Nah, the first cyber war was stuxnet. DPRK can't touch the U.S. gov't. A Japanese corporation with a record of getting hacked? That's a whole other story, and apparently what happened.

More than Sony I am irked by the theatre chains that backed out one by one that lead to Sony's decision, as now most of the screens were not being available for the release.

And all this even after it was known that there were no credible threats.

Also this type of comedy in cinema/art isn't new.

Death of a President (2006 film) (This was a UK production).

The Great Dictator - March 7, 1941

B5GjmNMCIAAY4CN.jpg

Captain America Comics #1 - March 10, 1941

detail.jpg

What do those have in common? We're actively or about to be actively at war with the one targeted. They were propaganda in one form or another.

The Bush one might as well have been a fan film with it's budget and distribution. It hardly counted.

I think the thing being missed now that we know or think we know NK is behind all this is that while NK might not have military force worth noting, they have allies, allies that have economic and political power that could do some serious damage. I don't think Sony wants to be held responsible for the start of a new Cold War or anything similar.

josswhedon: Man, "The Interview" better be pretty funny, cuz there's no way I'm not watching it now.

I thinks NKs allies are not ready to do anything on account of NKs stupid moves. Not the 1st time NK has done something and China hasn't been there to back them.

This situation is a farce and Sony seem pretty weak backing out of showing the movie, they must of known at the time they green lit the project that NK is probably not going to rejoice at the narrative of the film. However, crap got flung at their doorstep and now they are pulling out like a little *****.

In my opinion sometimes Comedy needs to be offensive, it needs to be transgressive, it needs to push the boundaries of what is acceptable in society and comedy movies need to be willing to take risks, they need to be OK with potentially offending some of their audience. I doubt you can make any sort of comedy without some minority person feeling offended.

Some of the best comedy films that have been made have been risque or offensive in one form or another, this is no different.

Last edited by a moderator:

josswhedon: Tiny sidebar: Rogen & co. made "This Is The End", a startlingly deft & thoughtful gem. As (yes I said it) ARTISTS, they deserve to be heard.

josswhedon: I have enjoyed movies that offended me deeply. The key to humor is the key to debate, to freedom of thought: difference.

This makes no sense., There must be something else going on here to make SONY willing to eat its multimillion $ investment in this film. So far these hackers have released damaging inside information, so perhaps what's gone public is the tip of the iceberg compared to the really nasty stuff, and SONY execs don't want the public to know. A little blackmail.

It's all despicable.

In their own words - "We are preparing for you a Christmas gift", "The gift will be larger quantities of data. And it will be more interesting."

This was two days ago and despite that warning Sony had announced they are releasing the film. They told theatres they can back out if they wish to and Sony would support their decision. Many did, probably more than Sony expected. Then Sony canceled the release.

Another NK related movie project with Steve Carell got cancelled by the production company yesterday.

I now hope somebody makes a more subversive film about NK rather than a lighthearted like this one.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back