The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Post-release)

I'm just hoping they don't Matrix this. IE make a great first film then a ****ty following 2. That being said, I thought the Harry Potter movies only got better, with the 3rd one in my mind eclipsing the book. 4th was mishandled though.

This one definitely looks like its filmed better than the first. I love the books, and while the first movie was pretty good and faithful to the book, the overall filming was eh. Some of the stuff they tried to focus on didn't really come to life effectively IMO. This one looks better though.

I bought my tickets the moment I saw the new IMAX trailer.

For those of you who don't know, they filmed everything in scope (normal size theater screen) up until the arena, and when Katniss enters it they opened up the scope to reveal the entire IMAX size screen.

I'm Seeing this later tonight. Will report back in the am with how we liked it. I have a few friends that saw it early and they said it's amazing.

Movie was really good. The camera work was a zillion times better this time around and the overall production was just better. Some people will not like the ending, especially if they have not read the books. This also stayed pretty darn true to the books as well. Go see it.

Just saw it and really enjoyed it. The movie flew by and didn't feel like almost 2.5 hrs at all. Yeah, I was surprised at how much of the dialogue was lifted right from the books. The guys behind me were complaining about the ending, but it was clear they didn't read the books.

Jennifer Lawrence was good, but like with the Potter series, the supporting cast was essential. Elizabeth Banks was so great as Effie, as was Woody/Haymitch. I loved Johanna and Finnick; I had my doubts about Sam Claflin, but I thought he did a pretty good job.

Drove an hour to see it in IMAX with my wife. Save your money because the IMAX wasn't really as awesome as they made it out to be. First time seeing an IMAX movie and I won't be going back.

The movie, however, was far better put together than the first. Acting and camera work was definitely a step up from the first film. Haven't read the books since last year, so I can't say for sure how much was ported over, but I could tell some things were omitted or changed. It is what it is I suppose. Still an awesome flick. Highly recommended.

The only thing I didn't care for was the after-movie/pre-credits animation. Weirdly placed and completely unneeded.

Drove an hour to see it in IMAX with my wife. Save your money because the IMAX wasn't really as awesome as they made it out to be. First time seeing an IMAX movie and I won't be going back.

Just saw it in Imax and loved it. Not exactly sure what you were expecting Imax to be since it was your first time seeing a movie in it.

I thought they made the fight between Johanna a little longer in the book at the end.

Also does anyone remember if they ever reveal why Mags couldn't talk. I couldn't remember from the series if it was ever said.

EDIT: I looked it up, Katniss thought it was because of a stroke previously

Last edited:
Just saw it in Imax and loved it. Not exactly sure what you were expecting Imax to be since it was your first time seeing a movie in it.
My wife had been to one of the large dome ones and that is kinda what I was expecting. The clarity of picture and sound were amazing, but the screen wasn't very large, nor was the effect of them going from scope to full Imax that drastic. I thought it would have widened up more I guess.

They really have put together a great ensemble cast - nevermind the stars of the films, the support actors are top notch. Tucci, Sutherland, Hoffman, Banks, Harrelson and even Kravitz do a great job supporting the young stars of the movie. The leads, outside of Jennifer Lawrence, might not be amazing but they do a fine job - Jennifer Lawrence is amazing, she keeps impressing and as long as she keeps her (apparent) level head she's going to go far. (Hutcherson isn't that bad (but doesn't come off that good, either), but Thor's brother is just painful to watch on screen).

The movie was very solid and it's going to be a long wait for the next one. It didn't seem too long, but a few cuts might've helped.

I'm not sure if the kiss/three finger salute has any significance outside of some sign of rebellion.... can anyone expand on that?

Last edited:
My wife had been to one of the large dome ones and that is kinda what I was expecting. The clarity of picture and sound were amazing, but the screen wasn't very large, nor was the effect of them going from scope to full Imax that drastic. I thought it would have widened up more I guess.

Well in that case, ya I would definitely be disappointed as well. We have one of those in Philly but most are just the larger screen ones. You can still get somewhat of a feel of the imax when thy show the wide angle shots (going to the the capitol, when she climbed the tree, etc...) but ya I know what you mean.

They really have put together a great ensemble cast - nevermind the stars of the films, the support actors are top notch. Tucci, Sutherland, Hoffman, Banks, Harrelson and even Kravitz do a great job supporting the young stars of the movie.

I'm not sure if the kiss/three finger salute has any significance outside of some sign of rebellion.... can anyone expand on that?

Agreed, with the cast. Cinna and Finnick are exactly how I imagined they'd look like in the book.

As for the salute. In the book they would do it with their left hand, but either way it is a sign of respect mostly used at funerals that the people of D12 used

I haven't read the books but I understood it to be a farewell gesture of respect. Not necessarily a death thing, but a farewell to someone.

I saw it on Saturday morning at the IMAX. I was pleased with it. It was over and I was all "Wait, I thought this movie was 2 1/2 hours long." It certainly didn't feel that long at all! If I had gone to Henry Ford IMAX instead of the regular IMAX it might have been different, since Henry Ford has the dome. Still, it was pretty impressive!

Yep, it's a gesture of goodbye and respect. From The Hunger Games (book):

"At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love."

In the first book/movie, Katniss did the gesture to the camera after Rue died and so District 11 does it in return.

It could have been a liemax screen. A retrofitted theater rather than a true 70mm IMAX.

It could have been a liemax screen. A retrofitted theater rather than a true 70mm IMAX.

That is certainly possible. It was a normal sized theater, but the screen was really close to the first row. It was also the first theater on the left, which was weird because I thought they would have a special area for the IMAX screens, but nope.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back