The Hobbit - starts filming March 21

Reviews are starting to pop up, and there's a hillarious trend I'm seeing. Reviewers are saying 'mmm...meh...wasn't terrible, but I didn't care for the bad pacing, the over-use of questionable CGI, and the fart jokes.". To which LotR fans are apoplepticly screaming back "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A KIDS STORY!!!!". Now where, oh where have I seen that before?

Apples to oranges. "The Hobbit" IS a story for for kids. Comparing it to "LOTR" is really unfair. I haven't read the book myself, but I do think it's unfortunate if there is a lot of burp/fart jokes in it. I can't imagine that was in the book.

Reviews are starting to pop up, and there's a hillarious trend I'm seeing. Reviewers are saying 'mmm...meh...wasn't terrible, but I didn't care for the bad pacing, the over-use of questionable CGI, and the fart jokes.". To which LotR fans are apoplepticly screaming back "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A KIDS STORY!!!!". Now where, oh where have I seen that before?

Two key differences: 1. The guy who wrote the series we're discussing admits he revised as he went, actually intended the prequel to be for kids, and is dead. Lucas is none of the above. 2. Jackson is adapting someone else's work instead of his own and he's trying to keep to an established world.
Besides, the thing that always stood out about Gimli in both the books and films was how rude and silly he was. When I think of him I immediately think "Nobody tosses a dwarf!" or the drinking contest from the extended addition. Multiply the one dwarf we know by 12 and that's why there's fart jokes. It's an entire species of gruff, juvenile men who fight and drink all the time. Did you expect anything less?

I have a feeling that, because this is the first act of a 3 movie series, it will seem a little slow in parts. I'm just wondering how the pacing was compromised to extend the series into 3 movies. If it were still only 2, I wondering if it would have been edited a little tighter. I'm sure I'll enjoy it no matter what :)

I still maintain that LotR is actually six movies if you watch the extended edition. I really don't get the fuss about the trilogy aspect.
Did any of you play the 2003 Hobbit video game from Sierra? I loved that game so much. A lot of things from the movies actually seem to be pulling from the game, which had an extra female elf in Mirkwood who later fights in the Battle of Five Armies and included the Necromancer as a boss. There was way more time spent in Hobbiton than there should've been, and I think the game was close to thirteen hours long when I played it.

I still maintain that LotR is actually six movies if you watch the extended edition. I really don't get the fuss about the trilogy aspect.
Did any of you play the 2003 Hobbit video game from Sierra? I loved that game so much. A lot of things from the movies actually seem to be pulling from the game, which had an extra female elf in Mirkwood who later fights in the Battle of Five Armies and included the Necromancer as a boss. There was way more time spent in Hobbiton than there should've been, and I think the game was close to thirteen hours long when I played it.

I vaguely remember playing that game, and I remember really liking it.

Loved that game! Have it as the GameBoy Advance version too! The Gamecube version had a great soundtrack!

New image from Desolation of Smaug!
hobbitsmaug.jpg

Anyone going to Denny's? I see a few things on their new Hobbit menu that dont sound too bad.

Hobbit Hole Breakfast-
Our Hobbit Hole Breakfast means only one thing—comfort. Two eggs fried right into the center of grilled Cheddar bun halves. Served with two strips of bacon and crispy hash browns topped with melted shredded Cheddar cheese and bacon.

Shire Sausage Skillet-
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner or even Elevenses—anytime is a good time to enjoy a savory Shire sausage with seasoned red-skinned potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and fire-roasted peppers and onions served on a sizzling skillet. Topped with shredded Cheddar cheese and two eggs cooked the way you like.

Anyone going to Denny's? I see a few things on their new Hobbit menu that dont sound too bad.

Hobbit Hole Breakfast-
Our Hobbit Hole Breakfast means only one thing—comfort. Two eggs fried right into the center of grilled Cheddar bun halves. Served with two strips of bacon and crispy hash browns topped with melted shredded Cheddar cheese and bacon.

I feel violated eating straight from a Hobbits hole.

Aragorn: Why doesn't he want to be king? Because men are idiots.

I didn't really love this change. By the time of the War of the Ring, Aragorn has been working towards becoming king some day for how long? Sixty years or so? Can't recall, but a damn long time. He fought for the parents of some of the 'idiots', as a ranger and as a general. Shoehorning this 'arc' onto the story of a singleminded, experienced eighty-three-year-old leader rankled a fair bit for me.

Frodo - This is basically how he's written, save he wasn't nearly as useless in the book.

He does toughen up a fair bit. He's a kid in FOTR, a man by the end of ROTK, and a sacrifice, in fact.

Gandalf* - Hmm, except when he becomes Gandalf the WHITE?! And prior to that battles A BALROG? Significant changes in character here.

He in fact dies, returns to Valinor, and is sent back as a new being; a change so profound that he is actually mistaken for Saruman at first, in both book and film. Gandalf the Grey is a bit of a ditherer. Gandalf the White is a warrior and leader. Admittedly this isn't capitalised on as much as it could be; IMO that's a problem in both versions. The Witch-King jilts him and he never really gets to show off how much more badass he is. :lol

Someone from the Valar who knows everyone, sees everything, and has everyone fooled.

Saruman is a Maiar himself, not a Valar. He is sent by the Valar, I guess.

In Twin Towers you never once get the honest feeling like he may leave his love for a human. That should be a tortured soul who doesn't know what his path should be. In the film we just get a pretty generic "reluctant hero".

Agree. Artifact of the grafted-on arc, IMO.

However in the films we only ever get that impression when the ring is on which is rare. There's no feeling in the film of a constant menace or watchful eye. The tie between this creature that's pulling the strings and what actually happens is poor in the film.

Disagree. It could perhaps be better, but it's there. The whispering of the ring is not a bad device at all, IMO.

"In the end do you care about the characters based on ONLY the films?"

Honestly couldn't tell you, for mine. I give Jackson great credit for making the unfilmable filmable. I went in worrying about issues of faithfulness - too much on things like Bombadil or the poems would have equaled death as surely as too little on the grand themes; and on performances - how could some of the clunkier, more theatrical lines be delivered with straight faces? If you've listened to the radio play you know exactly what I mean. Forth, the three hunters!!!!

I really just wanted to get through it without cringing with embarrassment.
But I came out bursting with all sorts of great big good feelings. Didn't expect that, so I think Jackson must have got it about right.

Well, Saruman's plural too! Saruman the White, and Saruman of Many Colours. What's that? Can't get away with that one? Oh well. :lol

Incidentally, I think you meant to say "the pedant in me". :lol

Well after watching a few trailers, this is being put on my watch-at-home list, unless my daughter begs me to take her :).

Oh no, not the dreaded fart jokes. :darnkids

Hey, I haven't seen it, so no horse in the race. It just struck me as a hillarious case of history repeating itself. Critics apparently aren;t allowed to say anything bad-to-middling about anyone's favorite franchise.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back