The Future of Star Wars?

doctorDWwho

Sr Member
Basically this is for discussing what lies ahead for the star wars industry. Preferably kept at a reasonably spoiler free level.

Personally, while I'm looking forward to the next few years of movies...overall I sort of have a bad feeling about this. Yes, star wars is an inexhaustible resource, with endless possibilities for stories, I think people may get tired of it quickly. I think maybe a better approach would be TV shows. That way the general public wouldn'tneed to watch it, it doesn't feel like an 'event' every year. I don't know, just a thought.

I think SW is pretty healthy,....healthier than what it was before Disney bought it

I can understand why KK has said about focusing on the spin-off films rather than continuing the saga past episode 9,....in the past there were large gaps between trilogies,...perhaps after another gap they will return with 10, 11 & 12

Perhaps when the ST ends,...it'll be a spin-off every 2 years,...dunno

J

So, including Rogue One, theres 5 or 6 planned films coming out...right, I think. I'm sure they have more there working on of course. I don't mind a new movie every year or so, I just hope they can keep them all good and that they don't start getting watered down just to make a quick buck.
It would be cool if Disney found out what stories the fans want to hear and could make something based on that.

Don't forget the cartoons like Rebels and Clone Wars. Love watching them with my kids and i don't take them as seriously as the films, a good compromise.

The Anthology films are a great idea. Also there is a lot of uncharted terratory going back to earlier days of the Republic and a younger Yoda.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i think it all depends on the way rogue one turns out. if they are pumping out movies just to sell toys, we will see marvel movie's mistakes happen all over again..

Personally for me it's all about the stand alones.
JJ Wars holds zero interest for me going forward, so that trilogy is dead on arrival, no interest
in where they go with that.
Once it's over. Perhaps they will be bold and go 500 years into the past or future for a fresh
start.
So I hope Rogue One knocks it out of the park for now, of course I'm out of sync with what most fans
want I guess so it could be great to me and suck to everyone else or vice versa.

Han Solo, Chewie, and Lando's exploits could make for some really fun movies.

Rumor is this first Han Solo movie will be themed much like a western! I'm so IN!

Well good to hear because that is what I want! LOL.. Han is a space cowboy straight up, and pre-Leia he is an anti-hero, just tell some good yarns, no need for in depth character study is my greatest fear. Keep it on the classic Eastwood western side of things.

I'm afraid that there is too much at once, like if they are trying to milk as much as they can as fast as possible.

In the three years between each of the the prequels, even when we knew that the next movie was going to have many cringey moments, there was still great anticipation and expectation and you, as a fan, could still have a big Star Wars diet by consuming it in other forms.
For instance, every one of the prequels was preceded and succeeded by at least one novel. Then there were comic books and video games that all explored the new elements in the universe. With the new movies coming out so often, and with alternating spin-offs and episodic films, that can't really be done in the same way or have the same impact.

I find TFA and the prequel movies were total opposites. The prequels beside being poorly executed films in many ways, they did have story and lots of elements and as such the world-building was immense. You could really lose yourself in the Star Wars universe. TFA did not have an original story or any new elements, really and was at many times quite a dreary movie, but it was well directed and acted.
With TFA's poor sides, Episode 8 has even more to live up to. It needs to have this kind of world-building: a new compelling story and character arcs while also being a visual treat, or it will be a dud. It could happen. I agree with previous posters about the spin-offs being a great idea to keep the franchise rolling, as then it would not hang on only these episodic movies.

That said, I think that we all have to accept that we have already had "Peak Star Wars" a long time ago. For me, that was right before Episode III.

I recently rewatched the prequel trilogy. I'm sorry, despite whatever potential they had, the fact is (well, maybe not "fact", just mine and the majority of the general public's opinion) they are just not good movies. They just aren't. I think that if they had actually been good, TFA would have been a totally different movie, maybe willing to take more risks. I think Disney's opinion was that they were so bad they really had to go back to the tried and true stuff to get people back into it. That's why it was so much of a retread.

I liked TFA. After 30 some odd years I was glad to see a SW movie that actually seemed like a SW movie. Yes, it hit all the same old notes, but at least it got away from all that garbage that is the prequels. And it is something I do not mind watching over and over again. I can barely sit through the prequels. I do agree they had some good ideas, but they were completely lost in a myriad of just plain awfullness.

I am wary of the future of SW. A good Han Solo space western could be great if it is not completely Disneyfied, which I am afraid it will be. IMO a pre OT Han Solo should not be a hero children would really look up to. I mean, the guy was a smuggler. He worked with gangsters. I'm not really sure what Spice is in the SW universe, but I always looked at Han like he was some kind of intergalactic drug runner. He did operate outside the law. He was called a space pirate for a reason. I just can't see Disney letting him be who he was really meant to be.

Just my two cents....

EDIT: Well, now that I think about it, maybe Spice isn't drugs. Luke did say that he thought his father was a navigator on a spice freighter. Maybe it's just medicine? Still, technically speaking, smuggling it could be drug running.

Last edited:
EDIT: Well, now that I think about it, maybe Spice isn't drugs. Luke did say that he thought his father was a navigator on a spice freighter. Maybe it's just medicine? Still, technically speaking, smuggling it could be drug running.

I take Spice almost literally from Frank Hebert's DUNE. Dune really is a bible for most modern Science Fiction, highly recommend.

In short, its a mind-expanding drug and a little more. This is why Jabba is such a ruthless and powerful crimelord. A lot of good story in the Anthology films could center around this.

Right now they have 8, 9, Han Solo, and possibly a Boba Fett film in various stages of production or on the table. After Rogue One the entire team is getting together to map out the films for post Ep. 9. Meanwhile they have the theme park attractions opening around 2019, they have yet to make mention but there will be a likely new cartoon series post Rebels in 2018 and possibly a live action show at some point in the next few years. Comics, books, games and other merchandisng as well will continue to support various story lines from the films or venture into new territory. Basically there can and will be a STAR WARS for all levels of consumer for the foreseeable future. If you are all in, lots to keep up with, if your film only, annual releases likely through 2020 and beyond.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally for me it's all about the stand alones.
JJ Wars holds zero interest for me going forward, so that trilogy is dead on arrival, no interest
in where they go with that.

JJ has nothing to do with 8 and 9 beyond an Executive Producer role. If you don't like TFA thats fine but to not see 8 or 9 based on that makes no sense.

Last edited:
I read somewhere a while back that JJ read the script for Ep 8 and was really blown away and had wished he had come up with such a good idea like it. Sounds good to me.

Whatever it is, I'm done. I love Star Wars, don't get me wrong, but the endless franchise moving forward, I have no interest in.:unsure

Disney will over-saturate the market with SW until at least 2020.

I've been basically upbeat about Disney getting control of the franchise. But this is one thing I expect them to do wrong.

They spent too much money on buying the franchise for them to err on the side of underexposing it now. The bean-counters & top brass won't settle for leaving any profitable stones unturned.

Any franchise probably needs equal amounts of rest for activity. By "activity" I mean both releasing the movie and making it. A trilogy of movies being made & released over a span of 8-9 years . . . it could use a decade of rest after that.

Of course they can do more. The tickets will sell, at least for a while. But longer recovery periods would keep it much healthier.

I have to say, when I visited the "Cars" land at Disney I was really impressed - the attention to detail was phenomenal - I really think if they can figure out the whole crowd thing, the Star Wars lands *could* be a lot of fun... Been wanting to experience something like 'em forever...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back