The Expendables 3 (Post-release)

Re: Expendables 3

Looks who's packing on the muscle to play the baddie in the next film:

o-MEL-GIBSON-RIPPED-570.jpg

Mel must have gotten some "advice" from Stallone. By "advice" I mean HGH and a bucket of Androgel.

Hopefully Jet Li will have a bigger role in this one, he was awesome in the first but he was, sadly, barely in the last one.

E3.JPG

In the past (pre-Expendables) I may have been excited about all these guys in one movie but after seeing the first and second movies all I can think of is the opportunities available for poorly constructed action scenes, self parody, and bad acting. I think this one may have the capability of melting the movie screen.

Hopefully Jet Li will have a bigger role in this one, he was awesome in the first but he was, sadly, barely in the last one.

It's funny how recent action movies have been doing this sort of thing. Expendables 2 gets rid of it's asian fighter in the opening, Thor 2 gets rid of it's asian fighter in the opening. It's like hollywood thinks that asian characters just want to go home.

Think bad language will be back in this installment now that Chuck Norris is no longer involved? :p

It's funny how recent action movies have been doing this sort of thing. Expendables 2 gets rid of it's asian fighter in the opening, Thor 2 gets rid of it's asian fighter in the opening. It's like hollywood thinks that asian characters just want to go home.

Think bad language will be back in this installment now that Chuck Norris is no longer involved? :p

Except that in the case of Thor 2 its Asian fighter was never a big part of the first movie to begin with and had more lines and more of a role in Thor 2 than Jet Li did in Expendables 2.

What I find very confusing is the budgets on these movies. Why are they so high?

They should not be requiring so much CGI, they should stick to practical stunts, and more fight scenes. Where are the proper fight choreographers?

It seems to have been a mishmash of various things.

Also, they haven't really delivered in terms of memorable cast members.

Where are the likes of Dudikoff, Weathers, and all the other 80s,90s action stars?

Kellan Lutz? what did this guy ever do to be in an action movie? The guy has the acting ability of a plank of wood!

Well it is Hollywood and they expect all movies need big budgets to do well. It seems also like a dare, spending ridiculously high amounts of money for one movie seems to also be a way to generate hype as much as it is casting tons of famous actors.

I never really thought of Harrison Ford as an action star although he is like a more refined Bruce Willis in a sense.

The other aspect of the budges is the cast, which, in most movies now a days, accounts for a big chunk of the budget. Stallone alone probably makes up for a measurable percentage of the budget.

Last edited:

Films like the Expendables have an insane amount of stunts and pyro. This is why much is done outside of the US. Regardless its uber expensive to pay stunt guys to do death defying stunts at the same time risking potential loss of limbs, broken bones, paralysis... Ive a few friends that have been on all three films. Sly takes good care of his people.

Riceball is also correct, paychecks. The best example is look into MI3 and Tom Cruise. He banked over $100 Mil on that.

As for Karl Weathers still missing from the cast, so is Jessie Ventura, Bill Duke, Kurt Russel, Steven Seagal, and to top it off, the Rock. Some are from bad blood to possible pre-existing contracts with product marketing to just not interested in getting in camera ready condition. All that being said, its safe to say Tom Cruise wont be in Expendables 4, 5, 6, 8, 12, 34... unless of course he purchases the franchise. We all know, stranger things have happened.

The Bruce Willis thing, his day rate is about + or - one million US for A list films. He has a new wife and if memory serves has a newborn child in which EXP3 filming would have conflicted with the actual birth window frame. In other words he didnt say no but instead opted to give such a high fee (this is the $$$ it will take to remove me from a once in a life time birth of my child) the production had to say no. He doesnt need the money and in fair turn the film didnt need him.

Dalton yes....Why no love for him? Over here, He is regarded as a worthless Bond but i so much enjoyed his short appearance!
License to kill is a classic with a much more tough and realistic Bond and without any flying cars and crap...
Robert Davi is perfect as the bad guy :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back