The Expanse: an Amos-Style Jumpsuit

Maybe a little too Amos-style, so I ended up looking a bit like a bootleg Amos, but it was a good experience overall. If I add a few more patches, I'll be a little more distinctive. Who knows what changes the future may bring?!

A few years ago, I had a Beratnas Gas 'work shirt' made, with the help of a local copy shop (heat transfers). After a few thoughtless washes and runs through the dryer, the transfers peeled off and ripped apart. As always, after every thing we make, we say the next one will be better.

For reasons unknown, I wanted a full jumpsuit this time. I had a hotel room for this con, which meant that I could take along more cumbersome costumes, and not have to drive over (and back) wearing them. Nor would I have to walk a couple hunded yards in the hot morning sun from the parking lot to the convention center. And this outfit would be 100% cotton, too – hopefully cooler than a synthetic blend.

With 'cotton jumpsuit' as my eBay search string, I luckily landed upon a German-made jumpsuit, dark green, used, and with a sort of mechanic's look to it. The sizing was a bit of a gamble, as is buying anything online, but I pulled the trigger and was very happy with what I received. Someone competent with a sewing machine could accurize it a bit, too, I bet. It has epaulets, reflective stripes, and a pretty wide (tall?) collar, but is quite close to my needs. I love the amount of real world wear it has, too.

Below, you can see what I started with:

Having scaled my iron-on graphics properly (I hoped), I printed them out on my old desktop inkjet printer. I let them dry, and then very carefully cut them out. Removing the backing was tricky, but once that was accomplished, the iron-ons went on very well. I was frankly delighted. All that really remained was to cuff up the sleeves.
This really looks great! Can you share the image that you used for the large Beratnas Gas iron on for the back? Or direct me to where I might be able to find it? I'm working on one of these for myself right now. I have nowhere near the skill to make one as good as yours, but it's fun anyway!

This looks incredible! Would you be willing to share the Beratnas Gas image that you used to print the iron on? I'm making one of these myself and am having a hard time finding one that will scale properly. I doubt mine will look half as good as your final product does, but this would certainly help me get there!

This looks incredible! Would you be willing to share the Beratnas Gas image that you used to print the iron on? I'd be more than happy to pay for this. I'm making one of these myself and am having a hard time finding an image that will scale properly. I doubt mine will look half as good as your final product does, but this would certainly help me get there!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back