"The Empire Strikes Back" just a carbon copy of "2001: A Space Odyssey"?

Still I find out new things about this after all the years.

Oh my gosh—yes! This man is 100% correct!

Why, I remember that scene, right after Han was frozen in carbonite, when the Ughnaut that touched Han’s carbonite slab beat another Ughnaut to death with a bone—just like the monkey in 2001!

It’s just like poetry…it rhymes.

IMG_9023.jpeg

2001 is a Science Fiction film. The Empire Strikes Back is a Space Fantasy film. Two different genres. Seeing similarities between them isn't unrealistic given that they both shared a lot of the same production team. Tonally and narratively to suggest Empire is a copy is absurd.

Space 1999, yes.

TESB, no!

Shun the non-believers, SHUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!
Stanley Kubrick tried to stop Space: 1999 with a lawsuit in 1975 because he felt its title was too similar to his 2001: A Space Odyssey. "The deliberate choice of a date only two years away from 2001 is not accidental and harms us," he wrote in one of many frenzied telexes. (Somewhat optimistically, he also predicted the show would be "important" and run for years.) Was he worried people might think the campy rubber-monsters show was a continuation of his ape/fetus acid-trip? Or did he just want a monopoly on titles with "space" and a near-future date? Crazy obsessions like the Space: 1999 lawsuit kept him from finishing several movie projects. (Gizmodo article).

Stanley Kubrick tried to stop Space: 1999 with a lawsuit in 1975 because he felt its title was too similar to his 2001: A Space Odyssey. "The deliberate choice of a date only two years away from 2001 is not accidental and harms us," he wrote in one of many frenzied telexes. (Somewhat optimistically, he also predicted the show would be "important" and run for years.) Was he worried people might think the campy rubber-monsters show was a continuation of his ape/fetus acid-trip? Or did he just want a monopoly on titles with "space" and a near-future date? Crazy obsessions like the Space: 1999 lawsuit kept him from finishing several movie projects. (Gizmodo article).
What a pompous jerk.

I guess I should be glad that MST3K chose 3000.

That video was weak. But It's 100% clear that George Lucas was influenced by the style and cinematography, because it was a masterpiece.
And so much that he wanted 2001: ASO visual effects designer Brian Johnson to come on board, but couldn't because he was doing Space:1999...

I'm curious now if Lucas had people who worked on 2001... So much of his team was responsible for taking his vision and turning it into something practical for him. It makes sense that the influences of the past would be in GLs work. Just in general.

But calling it a "carbon copy" is highly subjective to one's definition of what a "carbon copy" is. And Star Wars is not.

Now, is no one going to address that someone is using the term "carbon copy" 24 years into the 21st century? I know what that actually is. But just calling it a copy would suffice. I'm just being a little facetious and poking fun at the use of the old timey term. No malice intended.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back