The Definitive CW Arrow Thread

The kanji are

鼠 "nezumi" in Japanese, but the same meaning in Chinese I'm sure, "rat/mouse"
姜 "kyou" in Japanese, but meaning "ginger" the food, not the colour so much..(usually with 生姜 meaning "raw ginger" here)
姚 "you" in Japanese, meaning "thin and beautiful"....Oddly? 
猪 And "inoshishi" in Japanese, meaning "boar" or "wild pig"

It's an exceedingly random collection of things to write on yourself...Is all I can say....I had to search for "You", since that's a rare kanji here, but I'd guess that the Chinese meanings are close or exactly the same as those of the Japanese...Sometimes words take on slightly different nuances when they were used by the Japanese, but in the main, kanji follow meanings exactly, or close enough to the original Chinese to make the difference minimal....Those are the meanings, as best as I can tell....

A bit baffling really...
Thank you for the explanation :-D

Thank you for the explanation :-D

A pleasure!It was good fun working the kanji I'd not seen before out! I don't think there's a meaning...I did find this video

???????????"????"?? - YouTube

(It's not a dodgy video, just looks that way from the link above....It's a Chinese program, and I can't speak Chinese...But I found it after I input the kanji for a meaning..)

And it appears it's not just us who are confused by it....But most of China....But I guess the explanation works as far as that goes! We'll see what happens next eh?

This thread is so good I made an account just so I could participate :)

Anybody else notice it looks like a different Ragim bow was used in some photoshoots? The wood looks different and it appears to have limb pockets. I've already ordered my 48", but just noticed the difference and thought it was interesting.

600sdffull-stephen-amell.jpg936fdfull-stephen-amell.jpg487966_10151509939749701_400489650_n.jpg1535544_507398642691984_2012273812_n.jpg

Edit:
Nevermind. Myth busted:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/arrow-cw-show-whats-base-bow-163343/

:$

Last edited:
Good to see some other Aussie's on here, out of curiosity, which states are you based in?

Anywho, Chris, were you able to get the Ragim Matrix Jnr. without the limb pockets? As I am just a bit worried to spend the money and order one through Oz Hunting and have it turn out to be the wrong model.

Thanks very much for your help though!

Theboywonder im in brisbane.
Christrails I saw the deathstroke teaser on facebook today and people were saying casey jones? Smh come on people seriously.

I'm glad to see that people are actually reading this thread!!

I've been staring at WAY too many pictures lately, and I'm sure my eyes are shot, but in the following picture it looks like the hinge piece used for the arrow rest might actually have been curved to better (not perfectly) fit the slight curve of the bow.

Screenshot2014-01-17at61230PM_zps75673da4.png

If not curved, there is a gap under the hinge piece.

9F9BFA1D-972D-46CB-96B7-91EAEDD7C86A_zpsaa8aqohm.jpg

1DE95303-4280-4FC8-A842-DF546D233540_zpsn5upecdt.jpg

(Yes, I haven't dismantled my hinge yet. And it also seems that there are major variances in the final hinges from Sea Dog. Only one of mine has a hole exposing the hinge pin.)

What do you think? Am I seeing things? I imagine curving the hinge piece to match the curve of the bow greatly reduces any shifting or rattle if not wrapped tightly.

Makes sense, though even with a straight plate, if you mount it with proper tension there is no rattling/shaking or movement.

Easy enough, just place it over a small depression and smack it with a hammer.

Pinder91 thankyou for sharing your knowledge with us all. Hope us aussies aren't derailing your thread haha
Your right The hinge does have a curve to it as far as I can tell too.

I wonder if this particular detail changes between bows from hero to stunt.

The SDCC bow, for instance, does not appear to have a curved hinge arrow rest. I judge this by looking at the line formed by the sharp edge of the hinge against the sinew. The sinew wrap is pulled very tight so, on the curved hinge you can see that the edge makes a curved line.

SDCC bow has straight lines along the edge, and so is probably flat. Of course, that doesn't mean that on that particular bow they didn't carve out a little pocket for the hinge to sit flat without needing to be curved, nor does it rule out simple visual distortion.

I'd also bet that the bow used for the closeup shot was more likely a hero prop than the one they sent to SDCC for display.

Good eye!

At this point I have no doubt I'll be making a version 2 bow, so keep the details coming! :D

Last edited:
Just for a further clarification, this actually means "Yao", as in the surname. (I know some people who speak the language 8)

That makes sense....I can't vouch for the way it's read in Chinese, beyond the meaning of the kanji alone....Both Japan and China would have several kanji that can be read the same in names...But if it's used as a name in China, that's cool too.....And perhaps more "likely" given the explanation on the show..

I was just thinking you could heat it up then bend it, would be a lot of trial and error.

what ever you are doing, I'd do it on the 4th hinge so that you've got the accurate one for the bow if you mess up.

Overthinking it.

Brass is soft.

Just place it against a surface with a depression the depth of the curve you want and set about tapping the curve in with a hammer.

Pinder91 thankyou for sharing your knowledge with us all. Hope us aussies aren't derailing your thread haha
Your right The hinge does have a curve to it as far as I can tell too.

I don't know about "knowledge". It just took lots and lots of detective work. If only I was getting paid for the hours I spent scouring google, yahoo, and bing. LOL

I think... I think I just found all the pictures:
Home > Television Series > Arrow - stephen-amell.us

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been doing a lot of Google Image searches. I'm amazed at how thorough this fan site gallery is. It's a little awkward to navigate, but it seems to have the largest collection of high resolution pictures.

That's the same site most of the behind the scenes pictures in my posts came from. Definitely awkward to navigate, but once you get the hang of it it's a great resource!

Overthinking it.

Brass is soft.

Just place it against a surface with a depression the depth of the curve you want and set about tapping the curve in with a hammer.

Nailed it. This is going to be an easy mod. I'm going to check my reference pics another 6 or so times before I do anything though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back