The Comedian's 1911s from Watchmen

Master Valon

Hey there. I've researched the Comedian's dual 1911s from the movie Watchmen, in the hopes of maybe eventually building replicas of them at some point down the road. I understand they are D and L Sports Professional Model Longslides for the base gun, with custom black grips with the Smiley face and custom engraving saying "Nixon 1970" on them. My question is: Where/how could I get a base gun close enough to the Longslide to build a replica off of? I'd need it to be metal, so my first thought was airsoft. But I haven't seen any airsoft 1911 slides that are 6" long, just the standard 5.1 or shorter. Plus, I haven't seen any 1911s with the trigger with the 3 holes and serrated edge, forward cocking serrations, oval ported hammer, and oval slide port. The closest I've seen is a Socom Gear MEU, but they don't have the oval slide port and they only come in Tan, Black, or OD, not nickel. I've found places with the custom grips, so that's not an issue. I just need a solid base gun to start with. Any ideas of where to start? I mean, the only options I've thought of are to get the DC Direct replicas, but they run about $600 on Amazon and are permenantly affixed to a shadow box, or to get D and L to make a real one for me and decommission it, but I'm looking at $2000 for that (no way). Any ideas?

Here are some info links:

Watchmen - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

Premium Quality 1911 Auto Pistols from D&L Sports™, Inc.

Don't get the D & L. There are many makers of 1911s. And if you're not looking for a shooter you can get away with piecing together a 1911 for much, much less.

The skeletonized hammer and trigger are available as aftermarket parts that can be added to an existing pistol. It seems you're looking for a Commander-style hammer and (3 hole) match adjustable trigger. You can find them new on Brownells or Midway USA. Some companies also offer them on guns out of the box. In many cases you're paying for functionality that's beyond your needs, of you're not intending to shoot it.

I'd start by shopping for1911 parts, including frame and slide on Gunbroker, Brownells and Midway USA. Pistolsmith.com is a good forum for 1911 info.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back