"That's BARBARIC!" "That's Wizard's Chess!" Making my Harry Potter chess set

Thanks! Yeah, the foil is great stuff, I've just begun to tap its potential I think. It would be incredible to find a similar method for leather guiding. In theory, you can use an iron over the foil to melt the ink, instead of a laminator, so if you could get the laser toner onto the leather cleanly, you'd be half way there. Dunno, there are a lot of unknowns there.

I was thinking about it, and it's possible that a thin piece of book binding leather could be run through a printer, but it would only work for really small books and I don't know if the toner would be clean. I don't have a laserjet myself, so I can't test it.

Thanks again for your comments everyone, much appreciated!

I don't think I'd like to risk putting leather through my printer, but there are methods for transferring laser toner from a printout onto other materials, like wood. People use Acrylic Medium over the toner on the paper then paste it onto another surface. When the paper is removed, a mirror image is left on the new surface. It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to get it onto leather. But I wonder if this method would transfer enough of the toner for the foil to stick to? And maybe the acrylic medium would seal it somehow? Not sure, I might do some experimenting when I've got a bit of time.

WOW! Excellent work! :thumbsup And thanks for sharing how the laser foil transfer works. I've been wanting to know for a long time how that was done.

ATL

I just came across some old emails which had the name of the eBay seller I bought my Lewis Chessmen from. If any one want to pick some up, his ID is oggtheclever . He's got a few different colour and design options, send him a message if he doesn't have a red and white set listed, he was very helpful when I was buying my set.

Beautiful work! I've recently gotten a set of Lewis chess molds and have been casting them and painting them up. I'd like to make a board to go with them as well. What sort of wax did you use on the board?

As I don't have a laminating machine: Could I place a metal plate on it and heat it whith a heat gun?

Edit: And could you post or pm a brush template? I am not getting, how you printed it (in which dimension). It kind of confuses me.

Last edited:
That looks great! I like the effect the wax mixed with the board underneath giving it that worn leather look like you said. Looks movie quality!

Beautiful work! I've recently gotten a set of Lewis chess molds and have been casting them and painting them up. I'd like to make a board to go with them as well. What sort of wax did you use on the board?

Hey, thanks. I would say go for it, it's great to have a board you made your self! The wax is just coloured furniture/woodworking wax. Colron I think. I have a few of their colours to hand and used a combination to get this finish. Some clear, and a tiny bit of Jacobean Oak if i remember correctly (it was a while ago now!)

As I don't have a laminating machine: Could I place a metal plate on it and heat it whith a heat gun?

Edit: And could you post or pm a brush template? I am not getting, how you printed it (in which dimension). It kind of confuses me.

If you don't have a laminator, I understand that you can do the foil technique using an ordinary household iron. I haven't tried this. and I would guess it would take some practice. I think that would give you more control than a heat gun would though. I'm not sure what you mean by a "brush template"? Sorry.

That looks great! I like the effect the wax mixed with the board underneath giving it that worn leather look like you said. Looks movie quality!

Thanks! It's a nice thing to have hanging on the wall.

Thanks for the continued interest guys.

I do not own Photoshop and my relationship with Gimp is not the best. Since I do not really know, how to make a file that would printed and cut out be one square of the board, I thought you could maybe upload the file or brushes or give advice. Gimp is not my true strength.

I received my set of Lewis chess men today. I will be having a go at making this board some time soon.

Pete, how big are your pawns? Mine seem tiny so I am not sure if I ended up with a miniature set by mistake. Mine stand 4cm tall and are 2cm wide. I'm also not too happy with the moulding on my ones (got them from a different seller).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back