TFA Stormtrooper Bucket & Armor...Old School Sculpting: Snowie P.8

Re: TFA Stormtrooper Bucket & Armor...Old School Sculpting: FINISHED P.3

I have a sculptor friend who makes his own oil-based clay. I do the rough sculpting in xps foam then he finishes and details it with a layer of the clay. A waste mode is then made them either a fiberglass or plaster cast is made, then surfaced finished, then the master mold is made from this.

Some random updates from the studio:

first casts of the snow trooper buckets
20160510_080850_zpscuifnvtp.jpg

snowtrooper / sand trooper back pack:
20160510_082320_zps16ojukl1.jpg

20160510_082325_zpsxeypvemo.jpg

revised Phasma helmet:
20160510_082555_zpsxojmwswh.jpg

20160510_082601_zpstog3eak0.jpg

snowtrooper armor:
20160510_090143_zpsdg7hitzq.jpg

20160510_090147_zpssay5xpcw.jpg

Rebels Vader chest armor:
20160510_085759_zpsxe2mb1rl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fantastic work, as always, Jim!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I'm so amazed you managed your beautiful sculpt using foam and clay! You have a very sharp aye for symmetry!

Impressive...most impressive! ;D awesome work jim!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I only registered today and just read through your build post
some amazing sculpting and skills going on here
truly a work of art

Hi Jim,

Do you think your friend who did your blaster can be commissioned to do a ( Chewie) bowcaster?

Thanks,

Rommel

Test fitting the armor. Note: the helmet in the pic is the older unrevised one. For size reference only. Everything is just taped up. I really wish i were taller. The helmet is the right size based on our measurements...i'm just not the ideal height for it. A smaller more "petite" version of the helmet is also in the works.

20160624_064701_zpsoy6tts7z.jpg

20160624_064708_zpsxikninsi.jpg

20160624_064818_zpszuwcaopn.jpg

20160624_065605_zpshes2pbn4.jpg

Notes on the snow suit and boots: fabric is textured polyester jersey (place holder for if/when i can get my hands on some of the more accurate fabric). It's shiny, breaths well and acts like dryfit fabric. It's actually ideal for those of us who want to troop as snow troopers in places where there is never any actual snow..and won't kill us with heat stroke. Can't seem to find the specific Kamik boots any more. I got these black snow boots on ebay for $20 and while not 100%, are passable for what we call in the reenacting world as the 10-foot rule. Just a place holder as well while i hunt for a pair of Kamiks. My sculptor friend came up with the idea of possibly making a mold of my boots, modifying them to match the kamiks, and making molded boot covers out of them...

THE SUIT!!! Wowza jim...loving the updates! As for boots I got black Kamiks on Amazon for $80, and sprayed them white using Flex Seal (NOT plastidip). Holds great and keeps the design! And if something goes wrong you can start fresh!! Much cheaper than trying to scout out $200-300 original Kamiks

THE SUIT!!! Wowza jim...loving the updates! As for boots I got black Kamiks on Amazon for $80, and sprayed them white using Flex Seal (NOT plastidip). Holds great and keeps the design! And if something goes wrong you can start fresh!! Much cheaper than trying to scout out $200-300 original Kamiks

Thanks for the heads up and the advise on paint! Ordered a pair already. While waiting i'll see what i can do with the pair i have.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back